Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

Apparently this is not as serious as it may seem according to this.

This fire is not near the reactors and is not a threat to them. 

The fire is at the base of one of the natural draft cooling towers circled in red.

The nuclear reactors (green) are offline. Cooling towers are not in use.

The public is not in danger from it

image.png.bfb641fc0b17a5c060edc7381129740b.png

Russia sets fire to Ukrainian nuclear plant to ‘blackmail’ Kyiv
Russian forces have reportedly started a fire on a nuclear power station in southern Ukraine to “blackmail” Kyiv as it pushes into Russian territory.
A Ukrainian official said there was “unofficial” information that Russia had set fire to a large number of car tyres on the cooling towers of the facility in Zaporizhzhia, which it occupied shortly after launching an invasion in February 2022.
Footage circulated on social media shows plumes of black smoke pouring off one of the towers.

image.png.c7bec1d923f6d77549d2689c056f015a.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/08/11/russia-sets-fire-to-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant/

https://archive.ph/QA851

Enerhodar. We have recorded from Nikopol that the Russian occupiers have started a fire on the territory of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.

Currently, radiation levels are within norm. However, as long as the Russian terrorists maintain control over the nuclear plant, the situation is not and cannot be normal.

Since the first day of its seizure, Russia has been using the Zaporizhzhia NPP only to blackmail Ukraine, all of Europe, and the world.

We are waiting for the world to react, waiting for the IAEA to react. Russia must be held accountable for this. Only Ukrainian control over the Zaporizhzhia NPP can guarantee a return to normalcy and complete safety.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jas007 said:

Putin is scheduled to address Russia and the world.  That should be interesting.  Maybe he can put an end to this nonsense.  The West surely hasn’t steered interested.

Maybe he is about to declare war on the West? Certainly hope its not

56 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do people seem to think Putin would never use nuclear weapons? Why would he not, if he thought he had the right reason? 

In the context of this conflict they are unlikely to be used against targets in Ukraine, but more likely against Ukrainian forces in Russia.

One of the reasons for the Ukrainian offensive is to demonstrate that his nuclear threats are a bluff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am not thrilled to see Ukrainian military terrorising a peaceful population. Civilians are cilivians, even if they are Russian civilians and 1000 or so troops rampaging through civilian settlements is not cause for celebration really.

A bit sad that Ukraine does not attack military targets instead of terrorising civilians. I understand they are desperate and have very limited means, but any right thinking person has to condemn military terror imposed on civilians.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jas007 said:

You’re brainwashed.  It’s not your fault.  The propaganda machine works 24/7 and it’s very effective. And so many people automatically assume the West can’t possibly be at fault and automatically assume Putin is the culprit.  

Riiiiiiiiight, then why did Sweden & Finland recently join NATO......?  🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Riiiiiiiiight, then why did Sweden & Finland recently join NATO......?  🤔

Their leaders are also brainwashed.  It’s a problem that’s apparently contagious.  Have you seen what’s happening in Europe lately?  Millions of migrants, wreaking havoc. Another symptom of the disease. I wonder when they’ll wake up? Those of us in Thailand are lucky this place is still safe.  When I get back to Pattaya, it’ll be time for my 90 day report.  Maybe they should try enforcing immigration laws elsewhere in the world. It seems to work.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, I did think you were brainwashed.....🤔

Didn't you ever think that one man is causing this problem,

Ex Commie KGB Putin.

No, I didn't think so...:coffee1:

Who is causing the problem makes little difference outside the school yard. Resolving the problem should be the concern. 

I do not know anyone that does not blame Putin for the invasion. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Enoon said:

In the context of this conflict they are unlikely to be used against targets in Ukraine, but more likely against Ukrainian forces in Russia.

One of the reasons for the Ukrainian offensive is to demonstrate that his nuclear threats are a bluff.

This is like betting into a full house with two pair thinking your opponent will fold. 

2 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Do you really believe the stupidity you post?

Russia has been indiscriminately bombing Ukraine for 900 days, rockets into markets, hospitals, apartment buildings, you know where civilians live.

But should they actually fight back, oh my the hand wringing about the poor russian civlians.

See above post for legitimate targeting

The greatest stupidity would be to excuse one side from killing civilians, as you seem to do.

These Ukrainian military are rampaging through obviously peaceful civilian settlements. 

Neither Russia nor Ukraine should be excused when they target civilians. 

Either it is bad in both cases, or all is allowed.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

So far, according to Russian sources the Ukrainians have taken 28 Russian settlements and a total of 12 civilians have been killed. Even if Russian sources are not overstating the casualties (which one would imagine they have every motive to do) that's less than one person killed for every two settlements taken. While every civilian casualty is one too many, that hardly sounds like "rampaging" to me.

Putin told Ukraine controls 28 Russian settlements

12 dead civilians sounds like a rampage to me. I am surprised it is that many actually, you would have thought Ukraine would have been extra careful for there to be no dead civilians so they can claim a real propaganda victory. But 12 dead civilians really is murder and terrorising of innocent civilians. How many have been made homeless?

For those who would say "Russia did far worse", some Russian soldiers may have, but what did these families do? Nothing.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, tgw said:

no no ... there is only one side TARGETING civilians, and it's your darlings the Ruzzians.

I don't believe you are stupid, so that makes you an enemy agent and a criminal, deliberately posting lies and disinformation.

The Ukrainian troops rampaging through civilian settelement in Russia have killed 12 civilians and wounded 121 civilians, including 10 children.

"Twelve civilians have died and 121 have been injured, including 10 children," governor Alexei Smirnov said in an online meeting with President Vladimir Putin and other governors.

https://www.barrons.com/news/russia-says-12-civilians-killed-121-injured-in-ukraine-incursion-65c26694

We can all see who is posting the lies and "disinformation", tgw. Only you! The Ukrainian troops are killing civilians, including injuring children.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Agree 1