Not accepting foreign credit cards

I could be mistaken... But, as I understand it...  Agreements with Visa and MasterCard prohibit passing on the fee's to customers....  Yet they do... 

But... It could be argued that the those paying by other means are given the a ~3% discount... 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know, but I have the feeling that you don't know how "Franchise Shops" works in Thailand.

Each Franchise shops has their own rules.
Only the brand name is common.

This means that a car dealer (Honda) in Bangkok can have completel different rules as a car dealer (Honda) in Pattaya.
Although they are both Honda dealers, they can accept/refuse things completely different.

The same is with the Banks.
About 2 decades ago, when I moved to Korat, I wanted to deposit 50,000 baht in my own bank account.
The bank wanted to charge me 500 baht for this transaction, while they were both UOB branches.
Asked why they wanted to charge 500 baht, they said that I was making a deposit in the Korat branch and my account was a Bangkok branch.

Gues that Immigration use the same rule, but not sure about that.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I don't know, but I have the feeling that you don't know how "Franchise Shops" works in Thailand.

Each Franchise shops has their own rules.
Only the brand name is common.

This means that a car dealer (Honda) in Bangkok can have completel different rules as a car dealer (Honda) in Pattaya.
Although they are both Honda dealers, they can accept/refuse things completely different.

The same is with the Banks.
About 2 decades ago, when I moved to Korat, I wanted to deposit 50,000 baht in my own bank account.
The bank wanted to charge me 500 baht for this transaction, while they were both UOB branches.
Asked why they wanted to charge 500 baht, they said that I was making a deposit in the Korat branch and my account was a Bangkok branch.

Gues that Immigration use the same rule, but not sure about that.....

That's nothing to do with franchise! Thailand operates a provincial banking system, nearly all banks levy charges on all all out of province customers for deposits and OTC transactions, excluding ATM transactions.

But you are correct about car dealerships, they each have their own rules.

• Confused 1

Beside extra cost with CC, maybe due to new "money abroad" tax ?

You pay with foreign CC, so money abroad. Are companies now responsible for collecting data for tax over "money abroad"?

As that incoming money should be first taxed as incoming money abroad!? 

Do they have to make a special money abroad "book" (foreign money incoming) with all data on it, so it can be all collected as tax data, to send user, citizen a tax bill?

More extra work, costing money, more hassle for company, for free for tax revenue department to receive.

Of course it has to be checked with your visum status, but computer systems can do easily, every time, all the time.

I can imagine, mostly bigger (but sure also little ones) companies, dont want to go there and simple reject foreign CC.

It maybe Thailand, but letting money slip away now with new system? Guess not.

It is just a guess, but the hunt on money just begon in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

That's nothing to do with franchise! Thailand operates a provincial banking system, nearly all banks levy charges on all all out of province customers for deposits and OTC transactions, excluding ATM transactions.

But you are correct about car dealerships, they each have their own rules.

Nothing to do with "provinces".

If I pay my rent at the Kasikorn bank of my house owner in The Mall Korat, I will be charged 20 baht extra fee.
If I pay my rent at the Kasikorn bank of my house owner at the Kasikorn bank in front of The Mall (bank where she has opened her account) I don't have to pay the additional fee of 20 baht.
The branch where she opened her account is the ONLY branch which dont charge an additional fee.
However, some branches (Central Plaza) accept the deposit without charging the additional fee.

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Nothing to do with "provinces".

If I pay my rent at the Kasikorn bank of my house owner in The Mall Korat, I will be charged 20 baht extra fee.
If I pay my rent at the Kasikorn bank of my house owner at the Kasikorn bank in front of The Mall (bank where she has opened her account) I don't have to pay the additional fee of 20 baht.
The branch where she opened her account is the ONLY branch which dont charge an additional fee.
However, some branches (Central Plaza) accept the deposit without charging the additional fee.

Then I'd go talk to somebody at Kasi if I were you, branches are not allowed to levy charges based on what they decide on any give day.

The guys at the top, trying their damndest to increase tourism to Thailand are SO disconnected from the general population, and foreigners in particular, that NOBODY in charge has realized that a foreign tourist basically has no other option than to carry cash at the risk of losing it, getting robbed, etc. etc.

Oh, I long for the day that a small light goes on within these leaders heads, and they realize that a Pre-Paid Debit Card which you can puchase at the airport, with a limited validity (say perhaps 30 days) for all foreign visitors would make Thailand a much more attractive destination to all foreigners, especially the first time travellers, of which there are many, coming from places like China and India. 

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Then I'd go talk to somebody at Kasi if I were you, branches are not allowed to levy charges based on what they decide on any give day.

Same as Immigration then.

Can I talk to someone at immigration that hey cannot decide what that want in any given day?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSam said:

The guys at the top, trying their damndest to increase tourism to Thailand are SO disconnected from the general population, and foreigners in particular, that NOBODY in charge has realized that a foreign tourist basically has no other option than to carry cash at the risk of losing it, getting robbed, etc. etc.

Oh, I long for the day that a small light goes on within these leaders heads, and they realize that a Pre-Paid Debit Card which you can puchase at the airport, with a limited validity (say perhaps 30 days) for all foreign visitors would make Thailand a much more attractive destination to all foreigners, especially the first time travellers, of which there are many, coming from places like China and India. 

Long time ago, I purchased pre-paid cards at klang Plaza in Korat.

From several banks.

Very convenient.

Don't know if they still sell them.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Same as Immigration then.

Can I talk to someone at immigration that hey cannot decide what that want in any given day?

The subject is credit cards and banks.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Several pre-paid credit cards at Lazada, shopee, ao

Screenshot_20240525_190214.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Beside extra cost with CC, maybe due to new "money abroad" tax ?

You pay with foreign CC, so money abroad. Are companies now responsible for collecting data for tax over "money abroad"?

As that incoming money should be first taxed as incoming money abroad!? 

Do they have to make a special money abroad "book" (foreign money incoming) with all data on it, so it can be all collected as tax data, to send user, citizen a tax bill?

More extra work, costing money, more hassle for company, for free for tax revenue department to receive.

Of course it has to be checked with your visum status, but computer systems can do easily, every time, all the time.

I can imagine, mostly bigger (but sure also little ones) companies, dont want to go there and simple reject foreign CC.

It maybe Thailand, but letting money slip away now with new system? Guess not.

It is just a guess, but the hunt on money just begon in Thailand.

I think you have been reading to many Tax threads on this forum 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

In my 20 years of experience in Thailand use of a foreign credit card is squirrely. For example,Macro accepts Citibank credit card. However when I ran my us-based Citibank in Bangkok it was not accepted, but ran the same card a month later in a Macro in Phitsanulok, no problem. 

Another weird example, The Lion Air online application would not accept foreign credit cards to purchase flights, yet I could go to their window in the airport and purchase the same flight with the credit card they refused online. No rhyme, no reason, just keep track of where they are accepted and where they are not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Oh, I long for the day that a small light goes on within these leaders heads, and they realize that a Pre-Paid Debit Card which you can puchase at the airport, with a limited validity (say perhaps 30 days) for all foreign visitors would make Thailand a much more attractive destination to all foreigners,

They would need to offer a better exchange rate if they want to become attractive and why limit them to 30 days is there any reason they could not last indefinitely and even be used elsewhere?

12 hours ago, maxx58 said:

"Foreign credit cards carry higher merchant and interchange fees than native Thai bank cards..."

This is what they told me when I inquired at the Honda shop.

But as JimHuaHin wrote, he had no problem using his foreign cc at Honda.

I'm guessing that the ability to use it varies from shop to shop.

They are all independent businesses and the franchise owner can make his own rules about how it runs.

16 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

They would need to offer a better exchange rate if they want to become attractive and why limit them to 30 days is there any reason they could not last indefinitely and even be used elsewhere?

You are quoting the wrong person 

Posted (edited)

Ι dont know your continent but if you are in European States then the representative΄s car is right due to mandatory Tax Authorities reports every transaction above of €1.000 to be completed be Banking transfer electronically from your IBAN to dealer΄s IBAN account.

If you are in Asia I dont know but I suppose it will be the same rules as in E.U States which is secured and you are covered from the Law.

My suggestion is to transfer your money from your Bank account electronically IBAN to IBAN but every time a fraction of money in order to avoid to pay stupid money for Banking fees.(in Greek region is €2 for amount of €5.000 and €3 for ammount of €10.000 etc).

It is prohibited by the Law of Tax Authorities to pay in cash large amounts of money......except "migrants" from Ukrania -Bangladesh -Pakistan and......half Africa who is "above the stupid law" and the exempt from the obligation...........

This is Queen V.D.L (von der Leyen) paradise to trasform "voluntary guests" migrants above the law making local population real immigrants under European apartheid law because tonnes of cocaine -heroin cargo ships arrive in Italy -Albania -Belgium and Greece......

So next time I want to send money I will buy a sandwich to my my friends from Ukrania -Bangladesh - Pakistan and.....half Africa and I will go together at my Bank desk in order immigrant friends to send money above of €1.000 to parcels I bought.

If I go myself at my Bank then Banks have the right to check my Bank account for any change or ask me where did you find the money.

For migrants and "refuges" Banks do not have the right to ask them any inquiries because it is racial descrimination under racial criminal Law they are......"protected".

Einstein:

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe........

President EU Commission Mrs.Ursula von der Leyen message received?

Congratulation and she is gynecologist doctor Belgian origin.....

Congratulation madam!

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:32 PM, maxx58 said:

My wife had taken her new car for a six month checkup at the local Honda dealership where she bought the car.

When I went to pay the bill with my credit card they told me that they don't accept foreign credit cards.

All the years that I have lived here this has never happened to me. Sure, many places don't accept Amex but always Visa or MC.

Is this just a Honda thing or do the other car dealerships have the same policy regarding payment?

Toyota takes them in Pattaya and Korat 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, khagai1 said:

In my 20 years of experience in Thailand use of a foreign credit card is squirrely. For example,Macro accepts Citibank credit card. However when I ran my us-based Citibank in Bangkok it was not accepted, but ran the same card a month later in a Macro in Phitsanulok, no problem. 

Another weird example, The Lion Air online application would not accept foreign credit cards to purchase flights, yet I could go to their window in the airport and purchase the same flight with the credit card they refused online. No rhyme, no reason, just keep track of where they are accepted and where they are not.

Sometimes they work next day they won’t just keep trying 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, statman78 said:

I have used my US credit card at the Honda and Toyota dealers here in Chiang Rai without any problems.  On the other hand it is not accepted at the place where I buy my swimming pool supplies.

My local Honda garage won't even let me use my Thai debit card.

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:20 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Give VISA a call and find out whether the dealer is allowed to do this under their agreement.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 8.18.06 AM.png

Why on earth make waves in Thailand especially when you may be using same dealership again

Just pay the bill a different way

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, treetops said:

Sounds like you may have chosen (or were unknowingly made) to pay in GBP which leaves you at the mercy of the vendor's exchange rate rather than the Visa/Mastercard rate which would have been much better.  Paying in THB will almost always give you a better exchange rate.

Your bank fees are avoidable if you have a card which is free of these - Halifax Clarity is one such card, however my understanding was you didn't get hit with the fees if you were billed in GBP.  Maybe some banks still use "overseas purchases" to charge fees on rather than "foreign currency transactions"?

It's a while ago so I'm not sure, but I don't recall being given the choice. However, I know I was billed in THB because when I got my statement, the THB amount and rate were displayed and I do recall the payment processor was Kasikorn. I know it was a CREDIT card rather than a debit card though.  Too long ago to remember any more detail...