Health Insurance for the over 70’s

On 6/19/2024 at 10:46 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds sensible but shouldn't you be self insuring anyway in case of claim denied?

As you wrote previously:

On 1/19/2024 at 4:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:
Not heard from you in a while, you still a WRLife fan based on other views above?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268153-wrlife-medical-insurance-experiences/?do=findComment&comment=18630037

Now you have.

Typical insurance scam. They are happy to take your premiums when you are young and healthy but as you get older they force you out with unaffordable premiums. Better to self insure, but maybe too late if you don't start until your 70s. If the OP had just saved his 100k a year premium from the start he would have 1-2 million baht saved for any treatment.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:09 AM, Ben Zioner said:

I was talking about about keeping the cover from your employer once you retire.

I think this is available to most US civil servants, many large corporation and the UN. I belong to the last group. The way is works is quite simple: the underwriter assesses the whole group of employees and retirees instead of assessing individuals. The premium (millions) is paid by the organisation and fully or  partly recovered from the employees and retirees.

This is not uncommon at all.

Yes - this is the sort of Health Insurance that I have (from a European government controlled/run organisation), and it covers both myself (now age-70) and my Thai wife (age-57).  I pay about 240-euros/per month for 'Health Insurance' plus 'Long Term Care' insurance. This is deducted from my European pension and further, my former employer contributes over 200-euros per month to this as well (as part of a pension perk) where the former employer's amount increases as I get older, while my contribution does not increase.  So overall the Health Insurance costs ~440 to 450 euros/month.  Expensive, but its very good.

As noted, the global health coverage that comes with this is excellent.  Currently this is provided by Cigna, but every few years, the European 'government' organisation I used to work for, renegotiates the pension for the entire organisation (~800 or more employees and  ~200 or more retirees), so to ensure competitive rates and 1st class health coverage.

It is a nice pension perk, and this Health Insurance was one of the main reasons (2 decades ago) I went to work for this organisation, in the knowledge that I would get great health insurance when I retired.

The 'downside' was the Health Insurance was not accepted by Thai immigration for the Type-O/OA visas, nor did I know enough how to get it accepted by BoI for the LTR visa (even thou coverage is unlimited).  (I now know the 'trick' thou for the LTR visa - which is getting a letter from Cigna saying coverage exceeds $50k US$ equivalent coverage - which I may use when I go for the 2nd part of my 5-year permission to stay on my LTR visa).

Of course this information on one should keep their Health Insurance upon retirement, does not help those who are already age-70 and hunting for new health insurance, BUT for those in the age of 30s to 40s, if looking for a different job, take special note if there is a pension and also in particular if there is subsidized health insurance that may come as part of a retirement package.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I just covered my bases and checked to see how much CIGNA (Close Care) from CIGNA International will cost me, in case somebody springs new rules on me. Aged 74 with a $1,500 deductible and 30% co-pay ($5,000 out of pocket max) is quoted at USD 430 per month. Increasing the deductible to $5,000 reduces the premium to USD 363 per month. I know from experience that a further discount may be available, probably 5% or 7%.

We haven't begun talking about pre-existing conditions, which I have in abundance, one of the downsides of having regular health exams and fixing even minor things as you go. But I'm hopeful that potentially, 50% of my body might be covered! 

I might start looking around to see what inexpensive options the Thai insurers have, TBH I'm only interested in the policy for visa extensions purposes, if it comes to that, hence a 400k insured limit with a 400k deductible, at a low price, works for me. This is not for everyone of course and I wouldn't recommend it to others, unless you have options and some capital to back you up.

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I might start looking around to see what inexpensive options the Thai insurers have, TBH I'm only interested in the policy for visa extensions purposes, if it comes to that, hence a 400k insured limit with a 400k deductible, at a low price, works for me. This is not for everyone of course and I wouldn't recommend it to others, unless you have options and some capital to back you 

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Post deleted by user.

Edited by Raindancer
Wrong format

Just now, Raindancer said:

But happy to be corrected.

Usually very reliable sources inform me that there a review of visa terms and conditions underway with results and changes expected to be implemented by September. There is, by all accounts, a mismatch in expectations between the Foreign Office and Immigration, the former wanting a relaxation of the rules, the latter wanting health insurance as a prerequisite for all long stay visa's. Since I wasn't in the room whilst the debate was being had I can't comment further with certainty. I've long believed however that a mandatory requirement for health insurance will be imposed at some point, the only questions are when and whether or not existing visa holders will be grandfathered. So I'm just covering myself by anticipating what might happen and making myself aware of options and costs. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Usually very reliable sources inform me that there a review of visa terms and conditions underway with results and changes expected to be implemented by September. There is, by all accounts, a mismatch in expectations between the Foreign Office and Immigration, the former wanting a relaxation of the rules, the latter wanting health insurance as a prerequisite for all long stay visa's. Since I wasn't in the room whilst the debate was being had I can't comment further with certainty. I've long believed however that a mandatory requirement for health insurance will be imposed at some point, the only questions are when and whether or not existing visa holders will be grandfathered. So I'm just covering myself by anticipating what might happen and making myself aware of options and costs. 

Thanks for clarifying that.

I made a hash of replying to your previous post, but you obviously got sight of it before I deleted it 🤣

I thought that the " health insurance"  for expats only applied to those on non imm O-A visa/extensions, and not to other categories of visas/ extensions.

12 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

I made a hash of replying to your previous post, but you obviously got sight of it before I deleted it 🤣

I thought that the " health insurance"  for expats only applied to those on non imm O-A visa/extensions, and not to other categories of visas/ extensions.

That is the current scenario but I am told there are attempts underway to expand the scope, I do not know how reliable they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

That is the current scenario but I am told there are attempts underway to expand the scope, I do not know how reliable they are.

Many thanks Mike.  If they do impose it carte blanche, I will look at your 400k option with me paying the first 400k of any claim

Just now, Raindancer said:

Many thanks Mike.  If they do impose it carte blanche, I will look at your 400k option with me paying the first 400k of any claim

It would be premature to fret at this stage but it's worth being aware of. I'm only looking into it now because of timing, my visa extension is due in November so I don't have a lot of reaction time, in a worst case scenario.

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It would be premature to fret at this stage but it's worth being aware of. I'm only looking into it now because of timing, my visa extension is due in November so I don't have a lot of reaction time, in a worst case scenario.

Well, I hope it doesn't affect your extension renewal or anyone else.

• Like 2

Interesting thought on if they force all retirees to have a 400k health plan in place.

Example:  If your passport has more than a year to run at extension renewal, they will give you a years extension.

So, let's assume that you have health insurance that is renewable 9 months after your annual extension is granted for one year, and therefore runs out 3 months before your extension requires renewal.

Will they then only give you a 9 month extension??  Or will they compel you to return at the 9 month point with your health insurance proof of renewal?

Methinks, the health insurance idea is fraught with problems.

Just a thought or two.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Raindancer said:

BTW for the BOI LTR, although my insurer's yearly benefits "book" included "unlimited" in coverage for hospitalization, the BOI reps sent me an note that they needed a letter from my insurer that indicated my hospitalization covered at least 50K US dollars and needed to be good for 1 year - insurer supplied the letter for 50K and indicated policy was good for the next 10 years.  Glad they were so helpful.

41 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Finances don't keep up with the premiums.. 

For some maybe, but many are from countries where they can benefit from excellent social security and leave this behind when they chose live in Thailand... IMHO they not allowed to complain when things go wrong.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

For some maybe, but many are from countries where they can benefit from excellent social security and leave this behind when they chose live in Thailand... IMHO they not allowed to complain when things go wrong.

The irony is that many leave their home country because they cannot afford to pay Council Tax and astronomical Winter heating bills. If those essential expenses are unaffordable for them, how do they expect to pay medical bills when outside their totally free National Health Service?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

The irony is that many leave their home country because they cannot afford to pay Council Tax and astronomical Winter heating bills. If those essential expenses are unaffordable for them, how do they expect to pay medical bills when outside their totally free National Health Service?

Mmmmm.  That's a very strange generalisation.   I think there are numerous and varied reasons, and your suggestion might fit a very small minority.

44 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

For any Medicare-enrolled US citizen, Medicare is available (to varying degrees and at varying expense) upon return to the US. For myself, however, I would have zero support for any long-term care type situation which is a major reason I am here in Thailand faults and all.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

totally free National Health Service?

That's the biggest mis-conception of all time

Not free, paid for from every monthly salary for those who care to work for a living.

NHS tax is deducted from your pay packet.

Of course the non-working spongers and immigrants come over and get free treatment.

For those who have made contributions and are unemployed then fair play, for those who have never paid a single penny... you want treatment, you pay for it.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

For any Medicare-enrolled US citizen, Medicare is available (to varying degrees and at varying expense) upon return to the US. For myself, however, I would zero support for any long-term care type situation which is a major reason I am here in Thailand faults and all.

Medicare does not, unfortunately, pay for long term care. A huge problem in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2024 at 1:39 PM, BE88 said:

Not if every month you deposit the money you pay to your insurance in the bank and you have between 3 and 5 million, it is clear that if you start at 70 and then later reach these sums, or simply if you have some previous savings and therefore You say you are self insured which I think is the majority on this forum who claim to be self insured

For many expats, the nut is retirement visa money.

As I stated in an earlier post of mine: "Some decisions to be made on my part and I will post my decisions here for the benefit of others".

I stayed with Allianz Ayudhya because I have a 15 year policy history with them and my agent has been very good over the years, answering my questions/queries. Also as I have had an uninterrupted tenure (cover) with them, then as all of my pre-existing conditions were stated at my policy start, then any later health issues should also be included in my cover now.

• Agree 2

On 6/24/2024 at 2:43 PM, Mike Lister said:

I've long believed however that a mandatory requirement for health insurance will be imposed at some point, the only questions are when and whether or not existing visa holders will be grandfathered.

I have also thought so for a long time.

It does not even seem outrageous at all for a country the size of Thailand to not be willing to support all who retire there should a medical crisis occur & thus would eventually require medical coverage for anyone getting a long term visa extension

But the problem is many are retirees & many with preexisting conditions so insurance may or may not even be available. I guess one thing they could do is put a full time freeze on your 800k & have you sign an agreement that in an emergency your 800k would be used by the hospital for emergency treatment should you be unable to leave Thailand for treatment in your home country.

About grandfathering in this case of medical insurance I do not think so. They would be shooting themselves in the foot but..... If for instance they raise the visa funds requirement from 800k to 1 million etc then yes that I could see being grandfathered as it has in the past

Edited by mania

On 5/28/2024 at 8:48 PM, Doctor Tom said:

I self insure, no health cover, bar accident cover on my car insurance. In 7 years I have spent circa 80,000 Baht in hospital fees, including for Wet AMD treatment and a carcinoma removal and after care.  I am quite comfortable with no insurance.  In both cases I was given a good discount by the consultant because I was self financing. To be honest, with the state of the UK NHS, I would be going private if I was living in the UK, and it would be massively more expensive.  My friend had a hip replacement in Thailand and he opted for a Thai government hospital. He had to wait for treatment, but the costs were considerably lower than in an international hospital.  My view is that unless you have an underlying serious condition, and none of us really knows if we will develop one in older age, there comes an obvious cut off point, where the cost of insurance, against the cost of private treatment, makes it much more practical to self insure.  

Most of the time it's not worth it, until it is.  That is just how insurance works.

There is a fairly well known travelling vlogger that just got diagnosed with a brain tumor. It caused him to suddenly lose the use of one side of his body.  Also seems to be having some mental problems.  He just got medevac'd back to the UK after weeks in a Sriracha Hospital in ICU, including a brain operation to take a sample.  If he didn't have good travel medical insurance paying for it all it probably would have wiped him out financially.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Most of the time it's not worth it, until it is.  That is just how insurance works.

There is a fairly well known travelling vlogger that just got diagnosed with a brain tumor. It caused him to suddenly lose the use of one side of his body.  Also seems to be having some mental problems.  He just got medevac'd back to the UK after weeks in a Sriracha Hospital in ICU, including a brain operation to take a sample.  If he didn't have good travel medical insurance paying for it all it probably would have wiped him out financially.

Travel insurance is very good value, anyone who doesn't get that must be crazy. Health Insurance is relatively expensive and continues to go up until it's unaffordable for many

• Agree 2