I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Maybe Bangkok is better for me

..as I got older 60, I have my NEEDS far different from 20 years ago.

"*I want to retire to a safe environment where J can walk safely at night 

*I want to be close to public transport 

* I want to be close to food markets , shopping places 

* House or Condo ,although I prefer  a house with a small garden 

Have you tried Hua Hin, Chiang Mai and Samui? Bangkok is not good for older people I don't think.

9 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Have you tried Hua Hin, Chiang Mai and Samui? Bangkok is not good for older people I don't think.

Old people? 🤣 

You talking about ones with walking sticks ,limping etc ?

I still do weights most days ,and run up stairs .

Not all old people are oldb

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Old people? 🤣 

Try scuba diving or something.

2 hours ago, yoslim said:

Sounds like a great life 😁 I wish I could afford so many beers every day, Pattaya's weather is just perfect to drink beer all day 😅

Nowt wrong with getting on the cans early am each day !

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Old people? 🤣 

how many more years till you can collect the pension ?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

how many more years till you can collect the pension ?

7 more years , Unfortunately in Australia your old age pension is asset tested 

The age to get the pension is 67 but if you have I think more than $250,000 AUD you aren't eligible

,so better to retire at 60 get your Superannuation and spend it all before 67 ,then apply for the pension at 67 

I paid  taxes all my life I deserve the old age pension at 67!

I think it's around the 50,000 baht a month range

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

aren't you busy doing nothing?

Living in Pattaya do take toll on people, if not damaged from before. I can understand why you ended up sounding so bitter

Edited by Hummin

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

7 more years , Unfortunately in Australia your old age pension is asset tested 

The age to get the pension is 67 but if you have I think more than $250,000 AUD you aren't eligible

,so better to retire at 60 get your Superannuation and spend it all before 67 ,then apply for the pension at 67 

I paid  taxes all my life I deserve the old age pension at 67!

I think it's around the 50,000 baht a month range

Unless you spend your savings then they change the rules on the pension, like maybe requiring you to be in country a certain amount of days or things like that.

Edited by JimTripper

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is bored in Pattaya they need to get out of bed occasionally.

I guess they'd be bored anywhere, as Pattaya is about as interesting as it gets in a city.

I think it is okay to say Thailand gets boring living there 24/7 even though this is what people have dreamed about all their lives almost, if not for a decade or two. 

The reality of getting stuck in Thailand can be harsh for some when they realise it is not what they thought it would be.

A decent lady with mutual respect for each other, who share some of your interests and values, can be great for some and make life better. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

A bunch of bars, interesting? Nope, they are all the same. What the place needs is some high culture, more parks, libraries, museums, opera...

Who will be willing to pay 5000 - 12000 for a ticket to watch opera? Here at AN? 

Better live sceene would be ok, even there was some before covid, Im not sure how it is now? 

Been travelling around and found some Jazz live scenes, but with different luck when it comes to quality. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is bored in Pattaya they need to get out of bed occasionally.

I guess they'd be bored anywhere, as Pattaya is about as interesting as it gets in a city.

Agree. Spent a while on the darkside, enjoyed being away from the mass of tourists yet still having falang food and bars. Now make frequent trips to Pattaya always centred around Soi Lengkee, Soi Buakhao and LK Metro. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

A bunch of bars, interesting? Nope, they are all the same. What the place needs is some high culture, more parks, libraries, museums, opera...

The bars are not what's interesting, it's what's going on around them. Too many people are in such a rush to get to nowhere that they miss everything on the way.

Parks in Pattaya- thou jest, assuredly. The only park in Pattaya got stolen by the council to put up a stupid automated car park that didn't work.

Pack of vandals in city hall IMO.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I think it is okay to say Thailand gets boring living there 24/7 even though this is what people have dreamed about all their lives almost, if not for a decade or two. 

The reality of getting stuck in Thailand can be harsh for some when they realise it is not what they thought it would be.

A decent lady with mutual respect for each other, who share some of your interests and values, can be great for some and make life better. 

I spent a year in C M in a hotel room, by myself. Not THE best, but one of the best years of my life. I didn't have a single boring day.

However, I probably spent far too much time on AN, and speaking of which I should have got off this forum about an hour ago to do something actually useful, so I'm outahere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Living in Pattaya do take toll on people, if not damaged from before. I can understand why you ended up sounding so bitter

wrong again, no reason to be bitter, maybe you have?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Bangkok is great for older people unless you are in a wheelchair.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

wrong again, no reason to be bitter, maybe you have?

Why should I ? Have you ever heard me complain about my wife or Thai women in general? 

If I am not happy, I have options, and know how to make changes. It is just your opinion that is so generally spoken based on men who are tied to their women, and seem to be stuck with them. A single minded opinion where you see everybody the same way!

Opening Post must be AI generated

No human could possibly come out with that without being an epic didlow.....

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Polluted, congested and difficult for walking. Much better options.

Good BTS and MRT system which can be combined with a motorcycle taxi.

Chiang Mai and surroundings are way more polluted.

Edited by FritsSikkink

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The bars are not what's interesting, it's what's going on around them. Too many people are in such a rush to get to nowhere that they miss everything on the way.

Parks in Pattaya- thou jest, assuredly. The only park in Pattaya got stolen by the council to put up a stupid automated car park that didn't work.

Pack of vandals in city hall IMO.

I used to say it was people driving around in circles. It's even worse in Vietnam. Where are all those people going? Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 5/29/2024 at 4:58 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Im going for walks, I'm going for massage, I'm sitting by the pool ,I'm going to the gym ....

I don't like to drink or bars 

Could I live like this if I retired ?

No thanks 

You know how depressed I would be  sitting in a dark 21sqm room in the view talay?

To each their retirement lifestyle but Thailand is a big enough country to occupy your leisure with her beaches, islands, countryside , nature parks and enough nightlife to titillate your tastebuds. Problem is enjoy with moderation and budget. There are also neighboring countries to explore . Australia is so isolated that you need to fly thousands of miles to reach other countries other than Indonesia.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Polluted, congested and difficult for walking. Much better options.

Bangkok is a big city . It depends upon where you stay and how you plan your leisure. 
if you live just outside the ring road ( kanchanaphisek 9) the countryside is much better for walking and good quality restaurants and nightlife is within an hour drive if needed. Of course if you live in the sukhumvit foreigner area, the real estate there is expensive thus the inevitable congestion and commerce. It is the same in any big cities worldwide. 

I have friends who moved about to stay every few years (3-7 years) in thailand .

From beaches in the south to the mountain side in the north. Thailand has places for every taste. When the ‘burning month’ starts in the north, they just go south or overseas for a couple of months to avoid the air. 
I would say Thailand is a good place to retire ( other than the visa  bureaucracy ) as the cost is not high and it is within reach to other countries. 

40 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Why should I ? Have you ever heard me complain about my wife or Thai women in general? 

If I am not happy, I have options, and know how to make changes. It is just your opinion that is so generally spoken based on men who are tied to their women, and seem to be stuck with them. A single minded opinion where you see everybody the same way!

You read things the wrong way, try and get better at it. Maybe me referring to fake girlfriends and wives touched a nerve

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You read things the wrong way, try and get better at it. Maybe me referring to fake girlfriends and wives touched a nerve

That's a clever punchline

The mirror effect 

To many lonely bitter men sitting around trying to make an interesting life in Pattaya, and the only reason they are there, is because of the cheap P4P or pay for fun arena, especially the short time scene! Must be an empty life? 

You see, it is not hard to reply to general statements. It might hit a nerve with you, and therefore we will have this pissing contest going on  longer than necessary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Good BTS and MRT system which can be combined with a motorcycle taxi.

Chiang Mai and surroundings are way more polluted.

BTS with a walking stick is not a good idea.