5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

10 hours ago, jack343 said:

I've read through their website already.  I was just wondering, from a practical standpoint, will the consulate request additional documentations other than an employment offer/contract?  

An employment offer/contract doing what exactly?

19 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The former are only ever valid until your passport expires however the letter of approval for your Visa will get you a new Sticker/Stamp that's valid until  the end of the "Visa". 

What sticker/stamps are you referring to?

Even with an e-visa, Immigration will not issue a 'permission of stay' stamp beyond the expiry date of the passport.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

What sticker/stamps are you referring to?

Even with an e-visa, Immigration will not issue a 'permission of stay' stamp beyond the expiry date of the passport.

Nothing to do with permission to stay, I'm referring to the Visa Sticker (or Stamp) that they put in your passport.

As already discussed if you were on an Elite Visa & your passport expired in < 5 years you would only get the sticker/stamp up to the date of expiry of your passport & would get a 1 year permission to stay (assuming your passport had more than 12 months left on it).

When you get your new passport they will issue you with new sticker/stamp for the remainder of the 5 years. 

Visas are tied to Passports so I'm guessing that the same will be true of the new DTV visa OR you'll need to carry the letter confirming your Visa & your old passport (which has the number listed on the letter) with you when you travel.

I can't imagine you turning up showing an eVisa letter & not having the passport that it's been issued against will get you anything but a 30/60 day Visa Exempt stamp.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

visas are NOT always tied to passports
I have had in the past, 10 year Indian visa and a 10 year China visa
when  passport expired i just carried both ( new and old) and the old visa is valid, till its not.

a 5 year DTV visa will still be valid in an expired passport and u will ben stamped in on new passport

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

visas are NOT always tied to passports
I have had in the past, 10 year Indian visa and a 10 year China visa

Citing a chinese and Indian policy is completely irrelevant and ridicilous.  Either cite a Thai policy or don't bother posting.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Nothing to do with permission to stay, I'm referring to the Visa Sticker (or Stamp) that they put in your passport.

That's where you confused me with the word 'stamps'.

The only stamps you receive are from Thai Immigration.

Visas are either in the form of 'vignettes' that are fixed in your passport, or an e-visa, which is stickerless and easily transferable across passports.

If you obtain a new passport outside of Thailand, simply use both the old and new passport to re-enter, then get the stamps transferred at Immigration.

If you obtain a new passport within Thailand, then get the stamps transferred at Immigration.

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

As already discussed if you were on an Elite Visa & your passport expired in < 5 years you would only get the sticker/stamp up to the date of expiry of your passport & would get a 1 year permission to stay (assuming your passport had more than 12 months left on it).

I disagree.

The validity of a visa and the validity of a passport are separate.

It's the period of stay that is limited to the expiry date of a passport.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Citing a chinese and Indian policy is completely irrelevant and ridicilous.  Either cite a Thai policy or don't bother posting.

7. The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

8. On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau,

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/general-information?menu=5e1ff6d057b01e00a6391dc5

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Does the moderator know that  Phillip wants to be in charge of who is posting?    Learn to spell Phil     ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Does the moderator know that  Phillip wants to be in charge of who is posting?    Learn to spell Phil     ridiculous.

Seems like you are stalking me now.  Wow.  I never experienced anything that pathetic before.

21 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Remember you heard (saw) it first from Tod Daniels (legend in his own mind)
Here's the first DTV (sticker visa) from the Thai Consulate in Phnom Penh

1st DTV Phnom penh.jpg

Great news! Can you comment on the documents that were required there? Anything beyond the minimum requirements they've posted and that are just taken straight from the MFA announcement?

28 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

So I assume this was a non-Cambodian resident, foreign passport holder? 

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

You're a legend not just in your own mind mate, thanks for sharing this. Looks like this was posted on Chinese Instagram with that Xiaohongshu watermark at the bottom right. Do share more deets when you get them.

I just enquired about the DTV with the consulate in Singapore, and seems like they're only processing foreigners holding long-term passes there at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I disagree.

The validity of a visa and the validity of a passport are separate.

It's the period of stay that is limited to the expiry date of a passport.

As I keep saying, in the case of Elite Visas you are only given a Visa in your passport up to the expiry date of your passport however your approval letter gives you the rights to (at least) a 5 year Visa so the remaining time will be granted to you when you get your new passport - Seems you consider the approval letter as the "Visa" whereas I consider what ends up in your passport as the "Visa".

End of the day none of this matters as one way or another you'll get a visa that's valid for 5 years, unlike when you're doing annual extensions where you would lose time if you did your extension when there was <12 months on your passport. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

You're a legend not just in your own mind mate, thanks for sharing this. Looks like this was posted on Chinese Instagram with that Xiaohongshu watermark at the bottom right. Do share more deets when you get them.

I just enquired about the DTV with the consulate in Singapore, and seems like they're only processing foreigners holding long-term passes there at the moment.

When I was working in SG on an EP (Employment Pass, initially 2 years & then on 3 years extensions) they would only grant things like the MTV to Citizens & foreigners who had PR status so I guess it will be the same with the DTV.   

Edited by Mike Teavee

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

...I have had in the past, 10 year Indian visa and a 10 year China visa...

The forum title suggests that we are talking about Thai visas, ie visas for travel to Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

Very informative Podcast on this from a source cannot link to. Podcast on Spotify, Deeper Dive Bangkok.

Intriguing to hear the part at the 10 minute mark of the podcast when the MFA guy opined that it is acceptable (to him I guess!) for someone to enter Thailand on consecutive visa-exempts (as long as you do not re-enter on the same day, but instead the next day).

But he then qualifies that statement with "of course similar to other countries, it is always at the discretion of the immmigration officer"  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyTobacco said:

am curious how easily I will receive another 180 day stamp when coming back to Thailand after my travels, or if they will question the length of my stay since my total stay could then amount to much more than 180 days if they give me another 180 days after going out and going back in after 3 months.

Nothing to be curious about.

Every time you re enter Thailand within the 5 year visa validity period you'll receive a stay stamp for 180 days.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Reports now confirmed of DTV granted under "Soft Power" purposes using a single medical appointment.

Anyone wanting this visa should have no problems via the "Soft Power" purposes.

Just book a cooking class, a medical appointment, a music festival, a Muay Thai course and there you go, a 5 year multiple entry visa.

you need a letter?

I will contact a cooking school to ask if they can provide a letter for the DTV. 

20 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you need a letter?

I will contact a cooking school to ask if they can provide a letter for the DTV. 

Don't know the exact requirement and it is likely flexible , but some form of evidence of planned attendance / booking confirmation should suffice. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Reports now confirmed of DTV granted under "Soft Power" purposes using a single medical appointment.

Anyone wanting this visa should have no problems via the "Soft Power" purposes.

Just book a cooking class, a medical appointment, a music festival, a Muay Thai course and there you go, a 5 year multiple entry visa.

Reports from where? What proof did they include in their application?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Reports from where? What proof did they include in their application?

Another credible forum. A copy of the medical appointment document.

In anticipation of another question, a single medical appointment. 

Edited by anrcaccount
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1