5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

15 hours ago, Maestro said:

I see the requirement of documents for the 180-day extensions as the only important question remaining open with the DTV. The existing Police Order for extensions needs to be amended or replaced before the first applications are made at immigration offices.

Until then, it is a free for all for guesses, assumptions, speculations and expectations in this regard.

Perfect clarity.. Hat tip for being able to succinctly and accurately summarise the situation with zero ambiguity.. 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would definitely not assume this.  It is unspecified how long an interval is needed after leaving the country and returning  but good bet IOs will often flag, question and even refuse entry to people whose entry history indicates long term (more than a year) residence in Thailand.  Same as they now do for visa exempt entries.  Of course possible some visa run companies will partner with a "flexible"  remote border outpost, again like with visa except entries. But this will not be risk free.

That just doesnt happen with any other VISA though does it.. 

And now visa exempt entries have become unlimited also.. So that isnt even a risk without a visa. 

You have to just come to terms with the idea they appear to have opened the floodgates. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

one thing no one has brought up

and one thing i am concerned with as this is very attractive 

How will immigration look at issuing this new 5 year visa and seeing the applicant has been on a yearly retirement ( or marriage)  extension for 1, 2, 5 years?

23 year resident.. Passport full of stamps.. marriage.. extensions.. visas.. 

First one posted online as issued 24h after it opened to evisa.. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is the only new point in Chris Parker's latest video.

The MFA official said, requirements for extension would probably be the same as when applying for the visa.

He was honest enough to say that he can only guess. It's not in the realm of MFA, it's immigration who will decide these requirements for extension.

Right but it does semi rule out the idea of it being 10k to extend. It ISNT in the royal gazette, and it isnt the belief of the MFA, so theres no authority for immigration to think it now. 

It was mentioned in the initial cabinet meeting where the visa class was proposed, but a proposal isnt binding, we could have never got it.. The royal gazette is binding and makes no mention of 10k at all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

If local immigration put up too many barriers, people will just border bounce.. Its self defeating because theres a super simple alternative. 

Immigration's standpoint is that a visa is valid as long as the requirements are still fulfilled,  during the whole period of the visa (posted yesterday, I think in the other DTV thread).

If you have a METV, your second entry still has to be as a tourist. 

If you have a DTV, your second entry still has to be as a dignom/boxer/cook.

Nothing prevents them from checking. 

(On the contrary,  they DO check if people on a METV are real tourists.)

If they flag a DTV holder at re-entry and all he can show is a single appointment for a tooth cleaning 6 months ago, which he canceled anyway...good luck!

We really don't know what Immigration is going to do.

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You have to just come to terms with the idea they appear to have opened the floodgates. 

Who is "they"?

MFA - yes. 

Immigration?

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The royal gazette is binding and makes no mention of 10k at all. 

Visa fees or extension fees are not published in the royal gazette, are they?

Just now, Lorry said:

Visa fees or extension fees are not published in the royal gazette, are they?

They are not however they are ALL 1900 thb.. If it was to be non standard you would think it would be stated, to not do so at the very least implies it is standard. This is now repeated by the Dep Dir of Min FA.. So multiple data points. 

Really we will know next jan when its attempted. 

CM immigration runs a really good chat that answers questions accurately (as cm policy) and they were not able to answer this liek they usually did. They gave me a name and number and told me to call it next week.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I realize they're coming from different agencies, but the MFA guy was very clear and specific in his interview in saying that ONLY the visa would be required for DTV re-entries -- no other or additional documentation.

True.

On the other hand, we hear already that some consulates are making up their own rules:

- cooking classes at least 3 months (posted on AN)

- need rental agreement in Thailand (website embassy KL)

- must have employment in the country of visa application (KL, Germany)

These are subordinates of MFA!

That was to be expected, Immigration may be the same.

Immigration is not bound by the views of MFA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

...Last not least, @georgehas posted repeatedly that you can get this visa only once (why?)

So if you are retired and live mostly in Thailand, what are you going to do  5 years from now? 

If I am retired and for that reason live mostly in Thailand, the DTV is obviously not the right visa for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, deptrai said:

...If I'm granted the DTV, does my wife have to pay an additional 10,000 THB (or US$400 in our case) to apply separately as my spouse?

Yes

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

How can u lie? its all in the computer, ur complete visa history
new passport wont make a bit of dif ( regardless just got  a new one last nov) 

good point about driving License, as to get the 5 year u need be on a non o/b

I think people could lie in the same way some do with the ed visa.  Fake employment info, not attending a cooking class, fake medical appointments...  Got to go back and read my post - maybe I worded it wrong.

31 minutes ago, Maestro said:

If I am retired and for that reason live mostly in Thailand, the DTV is obviously not the right visa for me.

You couldn't have said it better. 

"the right visa" ... this extremely flexible expression has been used so often, by immigration and here

I hope it will not be used again. 

One member posted already "you cannot be a dignom, you are too old".

I know MFA says age doesn't matter,  but will immigration know this?

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Immigration's standpoint is that a visa is valid as long as the requirements are still fulfilled,  during the whole period of the visa (posted yesterday, I think in the other DTV thread).

If you have a METV, your second entry still has to be as a tourist. 

If they flag a DTV holder at re-entry and all he can show is a single appointment for a tooth cleaning 6 months ago, which he canceled anyway...good luck!

You're right about that, just look at their ad-hoc language tests for language school Non-ED visa holders they did in the past.

The current government clearly is very lax about immigration right now, and I'd expect that to be reflected in the level of scrutiny exercised by IOs as well - for the time being.

However, if and when that lax attitude changes again, DTV visa holders could get hassled in the same way as METV and Non-ED visa holders before. If I had to guess based on past performance, the most likely trigger will be a few high-profile cases of DTV holders committing crimes.

• Agree 1

In regards to DTV I have everything ready, except since am from UK I want to know if 11,200GBP is good enough for funds? as I don't know what exchange rate they are using to convert it to THB, I just use the international rate in xe which is around 46THB to 1 GBP.

1 hour ago, DCXMX said:

In regards to DTV I have everything ready, except since am from UK I want to know if 11,200GBP is good enough for funds? as I don't know what exchange rate they are using to convert it to THB, I just use the international rate in xe which is around 46THB to 1 GBP.

You need to look at the requirements of the Embassy you are applying to.

It's on the Thai Embassy London website. 4. Financial evidence: amount of no less than £11,000 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/destination-thailand-visa

Edited by Pattaya57

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

...People who currently hold retirement visas/extensions would be ill advised IMO to switch over to this.

Retirement does not, by itself, qualify a foreigner for the DTV.

57 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Retirement does not, by itself, qualify a foreigner for the DTV.

I do have a smartphone!

Seriously, many retirees will easily be able to show regular medical appointments, over the whole 5 years. 

But I tend to agree with Sheryl. 

I will reevaluate once they publish the new non-Imm regulations.

Edited by Lorry
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, NightSky said:

It’s a little late now many entrepreneurs and big spenders had enough and moved away under prayut’s reign. 

Many moved before that.  There was already business-boarded-up wreckage when I got here, which was before Prayut.

And, before I came, in my travels from Mexico to S-America, then in Cambodia, and the PI - everyone warned me NOT to try to stay in Thailand, because of immigration-hell.  Even those who had never come had been warned by other expats who had.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The MFA guy interviewed above said there would be NO documentation requirements for DTV holders when re-entering Thailand ... just present the visa only. No requalification process.

However, just the opposite if the same DTV holder instead wants to do the single in-country 180-day extension allowed at Thai Immigration per each new arrival in country. At Immigration for that extension, the MFA guy indicated proof of continuing eligibility WOULD be required.

It's not that big a deal to take a short trip to a neighbouring country once every 6 months, so a lot of people would probably just do that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Lorry said:

They would need to make clear what a traveler needs to show, if this is the case.  Not that they would necessarily do that, of course.

In the case of hassling people with Tourist Visas for "being here too much" - which ONLY happens at Known Problem Immigration points of entry - they refused to define the limits, and refused to give a list of what to show (beyond what the MFA said we needed, which "wasn't enough") to satisfy them.  It is arbitrary. 

What they were really saying, was "Better pay my agent-guy to get in the next time, or else I will abuse my authority and put a Lie in your passport, as the reason I didn't let you in!"

The rule may be, as before, "Avoid known-bad entry-points."  But, maybe they have been told to back-off - who knows?

This looks like a real good move for Thailand and for those legitimate people that have a job they can do remotely, money in the bank and are not going to be drunken fools causing problems. Why does everyone here appear to be looking for loopholes ? If you have 100G US and work legitimately from home and online when away,  why shouldn't they welcome you to stay out our horrid Northern winter. It's all I have ever wanted.??? With all due respect , Thank you Thailand!!!!!!!!  that acknowledges us as the good citizens (wherever we live) that we are!

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, racket said:

Yep, I was replying to a guy asking about KL embassy DTV info.

At the moment Cambodia and Laos are good to go, there are positive reports as well.

My current visa is good until October, I'll contact KL and HK to see if non-residents get DTV there, if not then off to Cambodia or Laos (hopefully they will not change it in the meantime).

• Agree 1