Sexual assault in an international school

pedro01

13 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Teaching kids is the most important job we have. I can’t believe people leave it to other people. I mean that’s just insane who knows who this person could be. I think you’re just making excuses rearrange your life so you can teach your kids. And you seriously have got to be kidding me you don’t think you can out teach a teacher who is dealing with 30 kids at once and you are one on one? I find it insane one parent needs to get with it and teach their kids in all families, if not both parents. 

Here's an example of school lessons and parent back up.

In Pratom 3 (I think 3) - better bi lingual school in Chiang Mai, my Thai granddaughter mentioned to her father (father always asking questions about 'what are you doing at school' and always an active listener).

On one occasion she said, to her father, were starting to study electricity.  A few days later my son said to his daughter 'daddy doesn't understand anything about electricity can you explain it to me?

Her response 'sure', she got out her (produced in the UK with English and Thai script science book and opened it at electricity.

Daddy deliberately showed he was listening and several times said 'does that mean....), daughter did more explanation and ensured daddy understood.

We had one funny incidence, my son said 'does that mean ,,,). His daughter laughed and giggling said 'daddy you're silly' and she instantly went into further explanation.

Son and his wife (both very well educated) do things like above all the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thainet said:

I wouldn't be contacting a Lawyer. I would be contacting the Equaliser or the Beekeeper.

I think Ray Velcora has a good method.

To the OP.  One thing you could try is to buy your daughter a spy cam to record the assaults. This would be useful evidence to present to the authorities.

These come in all sorts of styles. Spy pen for example although there are many others. To back this up you can get pocket alarms that emit a really loud noise to attract attention.

image.jpeg.6ea34d7f2b280efa8ef954311f95537c.jpeg

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, pedro01 said:

lawyer is suggesting criminal action against the school, the students and the parents of those students

Please proceed

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, pedro01 said:

One lawyer is suggesting criminal action against the school, the students and the parents of those students. They are also suggesting a report to the ministry of education.

If you've got the money to pay the legal fees, I'd go with this.

Destroy the school, take all their money.

• Agree 2

Move your daughter out to a foreign school.
Foreign school offers better schooling, better guarantees for her future life and much more than a school in a third world country.

11 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Move your daughter out to a foreign school.
Foreign school offers better schooling, better guarantees for her future life and much more than a school in a third world country.

A school in a foreign country?  

15 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Teaching kids is the most important job we have. I can’t believe people leave it to other people. I mean that’s just insane who knows who this person could be. I think you’re just making excuses rearrange your life so you can teach your kids. And you seriously have got to be kidding me you don’t think you can out teach a teacher who is dealing with 30 kids at once and you are one on one? I find it insane one parent needs to get with it and teach their kids in all families, if not both parents. 

So, what university subjects can you teach? what if your kids want to study something you aren't qualified to do? 

Or do you only teach them the minimum number of years that is legally prescribed?

• Agree 1

Does she have a phone?  Maybe trying recording them in their faces or if too scared secretly audio recording them (in her pocket).  With that ammunition for the press, the school is bound to jump to attention.  It must be extremely difficult for you but remember you are farang and therefore naturally guilty here so remain calm, very calm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Go to the media Facebook it's your kids that's harmed call up the press name everyone school principal & boys included. See how quickly it stops 

• Agree 1

To me it is clear that this international school has a problem with their administration who are unwilling to confront the boys and their parents. Perhaps the OP could confirm that with the sympathetic teacher.

The first priority is to take your daughter out of that situation, and as it is near the end of term just keep her away from the school.  Send her to a different school next school year that has a better administration.

Whilst you quite rightly feel angry with the school, legal action is likely to get the school admin to close ranks, and will increase the pressure on your daughter. Your daughter would be placed in the unenviable situation of having to prove the assault, and as the 4 boys will be from rich families those families will protect them. The result of legal action will be that your daughter will be placed under further pressure.

In this situation the first priority needs to be your daughter and not retribution. Get her out of the school and send her to  a new school next school year. Whilst she might resist this - school friends, knows the teachers, nearing exams, the reality is that the the school does not have control over these boys and the assaults will continue to happen..

As these boys are not under control it is likely that they are committing such assaults with other girls. See if you can contact these parents. Have there been girls who have transferred out of the school?

while the criminal justice system here can be lacking or in need of *lubrications* to get going

this is Thailand, there are other other avenues available to you, you know who the perpetrator are, you know their schedule, how they go and leave school.... 

befriending the police would help your case and allow you to get away with 2nd option here 

• Confused 1

A parent's worse nightmare. 

My boy has been told if anyone picks on you, you tell them once to stop and if they don't stop he's to punch them as hard as he can in the face. 

If I was the OP I'd go to the school and have my daughter point then out then they'd get a warning to keep their hands off my daughter or il be knocking the living day lights out of their father. 

Thats how we deal with things like this in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, misterphil said:

A parent's worse nightmare. 

My boy has been told if anyone picks on you, you tell them once to stop and if they don't stop he's to punch them as hard as he can in the face. 

If I was the OP I'd go to the school and have my daughter point then out then they'd get a warning to keep their hands off my daughter or il be knocking the living day lights out of their father. 

Thats how we deal with things like this in the UK. 

I'm teaching my almost 8 year old daughter much the same way. She has told me some of the kids, although she does have a few friends in our village school, have hit her and called her names, prejudiced ones. I told her if anyone hits her, you hit them back, hard. Seems some other half Thai kids here get the same treatment, something taught by their ignorant parents. Another reason why she will be growing up in Texas asap.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

People pay top dollar to receive prestigious Thai education in "international" schools.

You nearly got there.....    in many cases its a prestigious International education that in International Schools that opens to the door to the the Top Universities in the world..   its not a 'Thai education'... 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, pedro01 said:

This happened last night. The school did not contact me at all. This morning my daughter called me to explain what happened - apparently one of the teachers told her to make the call. 

I sent a strongly worded email to the school about it and the "head of secondary" called me 30 mins after sending. Not the headmaster, not the school owner - it only warranted contact from the head of secondary. He had nothing to say at all. He tried to explain why I'd gotten no call about it - like "we were still gathering details" - well how about f*** the details and let me know immediately when my daughter is assaulted. But how cowardly to not call, eh?

One lawyer is suggesting criminal action against the school, the students and the parents of those students. They are also suggesting a report to the ministry of education.

But how messed up is this? I'll have to take my daughter out of that school to protect her - yet those committing sexual assault get to stay.

unfortunately, that's how it is in Thailand, maybe the other kids parents have connections, anything it's possible, look at what happen with elections and bringing in Thaksin and his sister, I know this isn't related to the school but just to point out how their society works, last year something similar happen to my daughter and now she's home schooling

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:
16 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I went to very good schools and am considered quite smart.  There is no way I could teach maths, physics, chemistry, geography, French, Spanish, Latin, economics or the woodworking, metalworking etc that I was taught at school. 

I still know a bit about all the things I was taught but nowhere near enough to teach a kid to the level required to pass O or A level exams.

Also I had 9 different teachers at school, one for each subject.  

The concept of homeschooling typically falls into two categories: those who are unaware of their own ignorance and those for whom no better option exists due to isolation, illness, or similar circumstances.

Just as we rely on our expertise in our respective fields, we trust teachers, as educated professionals, to impart their knowledge and skills to our children in a structured and organised manner.

Moreover, it is ironic that individuals whose intellect often betrays them with flawed attitudes and questionable comments on this forum are the ones who support the idea of homeschooling. :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

At 15  boy should know, and have been taught, respect and off limits behavior, by their DADS. This country has about as high absent dads than any other place on earth, and this is why many aren't being taught respect for women. 

Calm down Freddy.

My dad used to encourage that sort of behavior to his boys.

By 15 I already knew how to undo a bra in a second using my thumb and index finger.

it is an international school so your bizarre theory on absent fathers is just a bizarre theory unless a whole lot of single mothers are earning enough cash to send them, which I doubt.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Buddhism also teaches them that girls, and women, are inferior,

correct, it was probably a fair point

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

which tells them they can do anything they want to them.

Absolute rubbish.

Stop making things up.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, pedro01 said:

yes ... this is what I was thinking ..  you have to go to the top. I would have told that head of secondary your getting a lawyer so expect a call.   Send an email to the Ministry of Ed'   explaining the situation, school,  lack of action etc .....    and tell them to expect a call from your lawyer & the police.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Calm down Freddy.

My dad used to encourage that sort of behavior to his boys.

By 15 I already knew how to undo a bra in a second using my thumb and index finger.

it is an international school so your bizarre theory on absent fathers is just a bizarre theory unless a whole lot of single mothers are earning enough cash to send them, which I doubt.

correct, it was probably a fair point

Absolute rubbish.

Stop making things up.

I don't make anything up but I do read, for 30 plus years now, all I can about human psychology, child rearing, human interactions, basically psychology and how people relate to each other, and react to each other in all types of  situations. Your dad teaching you how to do things to young girls is what's bizarre. At 15, you're too young to be doing anything to a girl at 15, no matter what disturbed consent law says at that age. A father's job is to teach their sons respect for girls and women, by example of how he treats his wife, their mother and not to use but look at them as equals, someone you can date, have a relationship with, become close to, and not for his own pleasure to be tossed aside when he gets "bored" with them, because they are people and not objects. Truth is, if a father is actually present, many don't treat their wives well, and this is the sons role model where he learns how to be a "man", and if he's not present, the boys look to their peers how to relate to girls, and this is usually the wrong ways.

Ever wonder why so many young girls get pregnant, by boys who are not going to help out if a baby is born, and will just go on to another clueless girl? It's that attitude, to use all the girls you can to try and prove your "manhood", something that goes on into their adult lives, continuing to use, thinking women are objects for their pleasure, which they aren't. When a woman is looked at as inferior, which they aren't, it gives men the idea they can use, abuse and throw them aside, as they do in countries like this one where Buddhism and Islam are practiced.

Of course you think it's rubbish if you come from a history where you were taught, while still a child, that girls were to be deceived for your pleasure. I didn't place my comment about absent minded fathers for those just going to international schools but to all schools here.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

I hope you can resolve this. I don't think any lawyer would advocate criminal charges as such actons would be unlikely to succeed and would take years.

However, civil proceedings may well be successful. Just the threat would make the school take the issue seriously.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A school in a foreign country?  

Yes, if he can afford that.
My daughter studies in Belgium University now.
Far better education as the Thai education which is for the biggest part concetrated on being obedient to Thai customs and Thai Bouddhism.
Not really education.
My daughter was learning at an English Program in a good school, but 80% of her day was spend on Bouddhism rules, visit Bouddhist temples and help with the daily care of the temples (cleaning, cutting grass, listening to monks, etc.)
Not anything that would be an asset in future life.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I hope you can resolve this. I don't think any lawyer would advocate criminal charges as such actons would be unlikely to succeed and would take years.

However, civil proceedings may well be successful. Just the threat would make the school take the issue seriously.

If the OP as an individual and a foreigner makes too much trouble, he will simply brought to better sences and his daughter will be kicled out of the school.
She will have nowhere to go continue her education in Thailand after that.
I learned the hard way, in the military service, that you should never threaten a superior.
You may win the case, but you will need to spend your remaining military service at the military and they will make you be sorry for what you did.

19 hours ago, pedro01 said:

My daughter (half English/half Thai) was sexually assaulted 2 times this week on a school trip. In one case a boy groped her in the swimming pool, then yesterday she was surrounded by a gang of 4 boys who started to touch her butt and breasts. One of the students in the latter attack had already been 'punished' for taking photographs up my daughters skirt. The punishment was suspension. For this offence his punishment is going to be "isolation" - so he's allowed at school but is supposed to stay away from my daughter. After 2 assaults. 

In the oldest attack, my daughter was surrounded by boys again and they started pulling on her bra. Two attacks occurred on school grounds and the other two on a school residential trip in Rayong.

That totals 4 sexual assaults against my daughter - all under school supervision. This is not just happening to my daughter at the school - but the girls are too afraid to come forward because they fear what the boys will do.

I would like your thoughts on civil/criminal action in this case. At the end of the day - it's sexual assault on a minor. Any good tips on lawyers would be good too!

why not get her the hell out of that school before taking additional steps?

You can propose all the FOREIGNER tricks you want, at the end his daughter will still have to live in Thailand and face the Thai school system.
WITH your lawyer, sueing, etc.
You will make live just more difficult for her.
If she is not able to handle the "molesting" by herself, get her out of Thailand and give her a better education abroad.
A tip: enroll your daughter in a self-defense school.
This was my daughter learning Aikido/Muay Thai.
Not many boys dare to touch her.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Is Thailand a country where home schooling is legal?

After all most home-schooling is religious nuts making sure their kids aren't taught evolution.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1