Police break up network aiding foreigners to stay in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

...but gave no specific details in the story. Other than the business must not have more than 49% foreign ownership. A very greay area as to what is "fraudulent" or "bogus". The companies were formed as per the rules by all accounts (or they wouldn'y have been formed) but the authorities don't like it. OK the Thai lady has interests in 270 companies. Maybe she's just very successful. It is clear that "authorities" do not like what is happening but to call it "fraud" is a stretch. Who is actaullay being defrauded and losing their money? As usual the story is light on specifics.

It is fraudulent to set up a company that does not operate as a company, i.e. does not carry out any business, but only serves to create opportunities to stay in Thailand.

• Agree 2

A simple algorithm at the company formations will quickly determine dodgy muliple directorships and alert authorities to investigate before these kinds situations get so bad.

3 hours ago, Andrew23 said:

Ukrainian citizen is here. All russians who run away from the dictator and his war must be welcomed in every country. This would help to stop the war in Ukraine.

Why are you in Thailand? Not fighting for your country then?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, BerndD said:

It is fraudulent to set up a company that does not operate as a company, i.e. does not carry out any business, but only serves to create opportunities to stay in Thailand.

Some companies take a while to get of the ground, even legitimate ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

How is this possible without at least one immigration officer involved ?

Exactly and the immigration officer's name will be documented. GO AFTER THEM! Without corrupt gov officials, none if this would be possible.

47 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Thais facilitate creation of nominee company... foreigners get visas, buy land/homes, run businesses... Company gets exposed as illegitimate, foreigners get deported, and Thais keep the  land/property/businesses (seized assets) for themselves. It's a brilliant model... Thais get paid on both ends... Thai citizens and officials collect setup fees, and the seized assets revert back to Thailand - who can sell them a second time. But they (authorities) can't not seem to stop what they claim they don't like 🤔 because they actually like it 🤑🤑🤑 

in a nutshell. Exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Re:  Russians investing in a country.  Just look to London England for lessons on letting Russian influence the laws of the land.  What is the source of their wealth?  Who are these foreign nationals moving into Thailand with their families forever?

Circumventing the law with fake DL provided to foreigners too 'something' to take a driver's test.  The roads are dangerous enough w/o the added pleasure of effectively unlicensed drivers joining the fray.😡🤮🙏🏼

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100093512834119

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

This is not a secret that with the right pay and connection you can work the immigrations system pretty

well as long as everyone is in on it and happy, however, the minute something goes wrong or it is being over done

it wouldn't take much for the whole rort to be exposed and people get caught and some will go to jail or

get kicked out the country..

I was thinking same thing.

so far it sounds properly administered per the way they lay it out.

only thing I can think of is business is not doing any “business”.

but there is no law against opening businesses and then not making money or even losing money.

no lawyer but it would basically be people becoming investors in a money drain business, right?

obviously they have some kind of charge to levy but I would love the specific of what that is for curiosity sake

4 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I was thinking same thing.

so far it sounds properly administered per the way they lay it out.

only thing I can think of is business is not doing any “business”.

but there is no law against opening businesses and then not making money or even losing money.

no lawyer but it would basically be people becoming investors in a money drain business, right?

obviously they have some kind of charge to levy but I would love the specific of what that is for curiosity sake

There is a law about paying 4 Thai workers for one foreign permit though. Different people for each company.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Presnock said:

the BOI LTR folks can get a work permit through the BOI also but would then pay taxes on funds earned in Thailand

To renew my BOI work permit each year, my company had to show evidence that I paid income tax on at least 80,000 baht a month.  Normally, I think it's a minimum of 50,000 baht a month, but my WP was in oil and gas.

That's an expensive ask for anyone holding a WP and not making any money.  Unless, of course, the agent was paying off gub'ment employees to forget about the income tax requirement.

My heart goes out to any participants who legitimately thought they had a legal company.  And anyone who gets caught out in the future.  I suspect a lot of guys posting here could get caught up, even though they think they're doing everything legally.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

To renew my BOI work permit each year, my company had to show evidence that I paid income tax on at least 80,000 baht a month.  Normally, I think it's a minimum of 50,000 baht a month, but my WP was in oil and gas.

That's an expensive ask for anyone holding a WP and not making any money.  Unless, of course, the agent was paying off gub'ment employees to forget about the income tax requirement.

Two options, first your company doesn't trade, which opens it up to scrutiny.

Secondly, it has no employees, including you, you can still draw dividends from it, but with both these options you won't get any kind of visa linked to your company.

Police break up network aiding foreigners to stay in Thailand 

Some  officials didn't get their Bonuses on time  to relax their duties to make sure that Jobs And money was only suppose to be for Thais.

5 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Poop in the pants time for a few ex-pats.

And judging by all the confused emojis popping up throughout the topic, probably more than a few on this forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

And then we don't speak about all the people who are using VIA AGENTS....

Many of them are people what doesn't fulfil the financial requirements for

a one year extension of stay..

And what effect, if any,  does that have on your day to day existence ?  Why would anybody other than immigration officials, the agents , or those using their  services even want to talk about that, ?     Other than a few sanctimonious, small minded expats  who for some reason really get their panties in a bunch over things like this

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, natway09 said:

This has been going on for years.

Many farang have purchased their "home" by forming a company with Thais as 51% nominees only.

Yes and many of us, chose not to do this company thing.

25 years latter, I'm still ok with not doing it.

But I never invested all my dosh in Thailand, like some have done.

You just can't trust this place 100%, When will the next witch hunt start, with this PM in-charge ?

It comes down to that old saying.

Never invest more money, than your prepared to lose, in Thailand.

No bottom burps here. :jap:

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

Thais facilitate creation of nominee company... foreigners get visas, buy land/homes, run businesses... Company gets exposed as illegitimate, foreigners get deported, and Thais keep the  land/property/businesses (seized assets) for themselves. It's a brilliant model... Thais get paid on both ends... Thai citizens and officials collect setup fees, and the seized assets revert back to Thailand - who can sell them a second time. But they (authorities) can't not seem to stop what they claim they don't like 🤔 because they actually like it 🤑🤑🤑 

Very good summation of the Thai system of Governance - what is good for a Thai is good for Thailand. 

Maybe things are changing - I heard a 'Thai apologist' vlogger the other day complain that there has been several instances of Thais kicking foreigners in the head and other violent acts of assault, and nothing happens. But when a foreigner punches a Thai, he is usually arrested immediately, held in jail and then charged and (maybe jail) and then deported (after paying a fine). 

Even the apologists are starting to see the underbelly truth about Thailand and its corruption and xenophobia.

IMO it is all related - Tourism failing and the Thai economy going bust - while most others in SEAsia are growing strongly after Covid.

More cheap Charlies form poorer countries, and more war escapees, with less 'quality' visitors, are not going to fix things here.

I agree with the BOT Governor when he said the problems in Thailand were systemic and entrenched. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

Then we can start on the Yanks.

What's this "we" crap?  You got a mouse in your pocket?

Yanks don't even need Thai nominees.  We can own 100%.  That's gotta sting.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Yes and many of us, chose not to do this company thing.

25 years latter, I'm still ok with not doing it.

But I never invested all my dosh in Thailand, like some have done.

You just can't trust this place 100%, When will the next witch hunt start, with this PM in-charge ?

It comes down to that old saying.

Never invest more money, than your prepared to lose, in Thailand.

No bottom burps here. :jap:

Indeed. 

Remember the fable about the scorpion and the frog.

Ironically, it is a Russian fable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

they had no problem signing off on the formation of these companies and taking the fees. 

They should also arrest the lawyers who helped register these companies and report these lawyers to the Lawyer's Council of Thailand for fraud. 

The lawyers should be struck off from the Lawyer's Council of Thailand as the dishonesty of the foreigners in setting up these fraudulent companies were aided by the lawyers who helped them with the registration, especially arranging for Thai nominees to form the 51% shareholders.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

This scam model could not have worked without the involvement of a lawyer qualified by Lawyer's Council of Thailand. 

The foreigners sought the advice of lawyers, and it was the lawyers who advised them on the status of law and gave the go-ahead.  The foreigners relied solely on the legal advice of such lawyers who were supposed to provide correct legal advice and regulated by Lawyer's Council of Thailand.

The witch hunting mustn't stop just at the foreigners.  The Thai nominees were willing participants in the scam, the lawyers were directing the scam, and the foreigners relied on the Lawyer's Council of Thailand to regulate the conduct of the lawyers.  The lawyers didn't just breach their professional conduct, they were aiding and abetting the foreigners to scam the Government, and they were emboldened by the silence of the Lawyer's Council of Thailand, as silence could be construed as tacit permission.

Edited by thairookie
  • Agree 1