Can you still travel not being fit?

And you are right 

Travel carefully means PLANNING 

No one is going to help you on the flight ✈️ if your in economy

You need to get that bag out of the overhead locker yourself!

People are going to push in front of you , they are going to mow you down !

Imagine the ones getting on a bus from the plane door to the airport door.

Requires BALANCE 

That's why when I was riding the MANILA SkyTrain I did not use the Handles to hold onto ?

I merely BALANCEd myself as the SkyTrain went , nearly yes nearly toppling over into the crowd at stages BUT I had to train in BALANCE 

Don't just go to the gym to lift weights you must train to TRAVEL 🧳 🧳 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have the exercise bands and do a few pushups and planks.

I'll be adrift in Bangkok soon. 20 days 7 neighborhoods. Some days 'llI do a meetup, but mostly I'm on my routine of exercise and walkabout in the morning, meditation and writing in the afternoon, socializing or a well thought out dinner plan.

Grab Cab revolutionized travel for me, more than the internet. And I'm taking the train down from Chiang Mai.

The last travel I sort of trained for was to see the Tiger Temple in Bhutan. A two hour slog at a steep angle. Not much inside the Tiger Temple, if you're on the fence about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'll tell you in 4 years....However in our last US trip, weather & miss timed connecting flights cost us 3 extra days scurrying  2 different airports with the typical long distance brisk walking, lugging backpacks & other bags trying to make connections that eventually turned out not connecting due to a ticket printing error didn't tax me....At 76 & counting.....It should have been 2 days, ended up at 5.5 days.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Haha 1

A few years back a local airline rquested some sort of attestation of being fit or have a help companion on the web booking form for PAX older than some age.

I was aged less than the mentioned age so no problem but It made me worried about future air travel in LOS.

Sorry, I forget the details but, anyway, I haven't seen this notice for some time.

Still, being seriously old (but very fit) I always fret when they ask your DOB on the web booking request.

Next Thursday I fly UBP to DMK and then go to Silom by APT bus, then BTS, then... on foot!

Second such trip this year. I know this will become difficult one day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To answer the original question -

Despite Christine’s intense desire to return to the UK, local doctors have yet to grant her a fit-to-fly certificate, anchoring her in Thailand.

(From another article on AN today)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I try at least a few times a week to hit the gym do treadmill in a incline etc , balance work ,sit ups 

But....all the travel I done lately... carrying bags , reaching to get overlocker bags , 

Walking up stairs ,uneven footpaths ,dodging people on the street , walking up hills , crossing roads , 

Etc etc etc 

All part of travel 🧳 

And if I didn't keep myself fit I wouldn't be able to do it AND I'm fit but still found it hard !!!

I plan to go to Philippines in September, I'm now going to plan to hit the gym so I can make that trip !!!!

Squats , stretching , lifting luggage ,incline treadmill , etc training to travel !

Training for travel plan workout !

I found changing planes tiring ,going thru security checkpoints constantly, waiting in lounges , etc 

Not easy !!!!!! 😭 

So please please are you finding it more DIFFICULT physical to TRAVEL 🧳 🧳 

Have you cut your travel down?

I now go for DIRECT flights

How do you travel by yourself at 80?

You went to Pattaya for 6 weeks. Carrying the bag would not be much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I have the exercise bands and do a few pushups and planks.

I'll be adrift in Bangkok soon. 20 days 7 neighborhoods. Some days 'llI do a meetup, but mostly I'm on my routine of exercise and walkabout in the morning, meditation and writing in the afternoon, socializing or a well thought out dinner plan.

Grab Cab revolutionized travel for me, more than the internet. And I'm taking the train down from Chiang Mai.

The last travel I sort of trained for was to see the Tiger Temple in Bhutan. A two hour slog at a steep angle. Not much inside the Tiger Temple, if you're on the fence about it.

Meditation does what?

What does it exactly do for you 

I hope no one else does this in my opinion only ...it's "rubbish hocus pocus"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Very true 

GRAB is so convenient for us older or should we say mature aged people,that it has ROBBED us if walking and exercise!!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You end up just sitting in a condo as you get older. If you're low on money it's a small box condo like Nirun or View Talay. Entertainment is the corner bar where they serve you beer.

Very true ,you forgot the FLYbird Condo and some sad cases there 

I was on a flight ✈️ yesterday 

I was lining up at the toilet to pee.

In front of me was a farang who looked very old but I would say 40's 

As the plane shaked he couldn't balance.

I stick my feet firmly to the ground bent my knees and balance without holding onto handles 

He liked at me weirdly as I was in the Horse stance 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But there's so much to do in a condo!

Fast internet and big TV allow you access to unlimited music/movies/tv series/books/social networks.

And if your condo has a gym and pool, you can even exercise without ever leaving.

Not forgetting food delivery services will bring your Indian/Mexican/Thai meals to you for very little extra cost.

Thailand is probably the best place in the world to live as a retired person on a pension.

How can anyone not be happy here?

Seems a bit xenophobic?

What about the Philippines?

Can't you get this there too? 😦 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Being a teacher has ruined my health.  I went from being a fit person jogging everyday, doing weights and punching the bag to a fat person with back ache and I get out of breath walking up stairs on anti depressants.

To be born British is to win first prize in the lottery of life.  I used to have big dreams of travelling but now I realize that England has everything.

This is you that has done this to yourself!.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, susanlea said:

You went to Pattaya for 6 weeks. Carrying the bag would not be much.

I'm going to be honest with you 

Some days ,I purposely walked from Arcadia Beach 🏖️ resort to Jomtien complex with my wheel luggage bag

Going up that hill where the Thai street food is 

Sweating pushing my legs on purpose 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Seems a bit xenophobic?

What about the Philippines?

Can't you get this there too? 😦 

Been to the PI loads, it's a great place for a beach holiday.

But the internet isn't great, and the electricity tends to go off a lot.

If I didn't already have a house and family here, I might have considered it, or Vietnam or Cambodia.

I'm generally a happy person wherever i am, always plenty to do.

'Island of Thieves' by Glen Eric Hamilton is ready to read on my Kindle, not looked at today's movie/tv offerings on the torrent sites, chicken Madras in the freezer, I'll probably have that with spaghetti for lunch.

Too much choice of things to watch/read/eat/drink next to ever be bored.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm going to be honest with you 

Some days ,I purposely walked from Arcadia Beach 🏖️ resort to Jomtien complex with my wheel luggage bag

Going up that hill where the Thai street food is 

Sweating pushing my legs on purpose 

Maybe time for a girlfriend or boyfriend. Pushing luggage around for exercise or hobby is getting ridiculous.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Very true ,you forgot the FLYbird Condo and some sad cases there 

I was on a flight ✈️ yesterday 

I was lining up at the toilet to pee.

In front of me was a farang who looked very old but I would say 40's 

As the plane shaked he couldn't balance.

I stick my feet firmly to the ground bent my knees and balance without holding onto handles 

He liked at me weirdly as I was in the Horse stance 

Oh, man, I'd really like to know what drugs you're on

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Been to the PI loads, it's a great place for a beach holiday.

But the internet isn't great, and the electricity tends to go off a lot.

If I didn't already have a house and family here, I might have considered it, or Vietnam or Cambodia.

I'm generally a happy person wherever i am, always plenty to do.

'Island of Thieves' by Glen Eric Hamilton is ready to read on my Kindle, not looked at today's movie/tv offerings on the torrent sites, chicken Madras in the freezer, I'll probably have that with spaghetti for lunch.

Too much choice of things to watch/read/eat/drink next to ever be bored.

You need to lift weights 

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Meditation does what?

What does it exactly do for you 

Buddha said:

"To acquaint the heart with wisdom."

-Either you get it or you don't.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JimTripper said:

it's a small box condo like Nirun or View Talay. Entertainment is the corner bar where they serve you beer.

I'm just not seeing the small condo-problem.

I eat all but breakfast out and I spend 95% of my condo-time lying in the king-sized bed.

How would more square footage build my self-esteem?

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Being a teacher has ruined my health.  I went from being a fit person jogging everyday, doing weights and punching the bag to a fat person with back ache and I get out of breath walking up stairs on anti depressants.

To be born British is to win first prize in the lottery of life.  I used to have big dreams of travelling but now I realize that England has everything.

sounds like you ruined your own health. get back on the horse and back to where you were. you clearly had the discipline. 

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm just not seeing the small condo-problem.

I eat all but breakfast out and I spend 95% of my condo-time lying in the king-sized bed.

How would more square footage build my self-esteem?

Some of us don't live on a bed. We like things like tables, chairs and desks. I even splurge on a patio chair and house plant.