Call for Thailand to Back Major Theme Park Investments

webfact

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I visited a couple of those parks in Thailand. After a couple of years, they are all in unsafe condition.

If the parks and the rides in the parks would be properly maintained, then this would cost a lot of money.

How many Thais would be prepared to pay 1000B or more per person entrance fee?

If I remember correctly, at least one of the dinosaurs in the park I mention above caught fire. Did the park re-open after that? I don't remember if that was what closed it. I do know they wiped out Washington Square to build that thing, and WS was probably more of a sordid tourist attraction than the dinosaurs.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

IAAPA's Board Chairman, Wuthichai Luangamornlert, stressed the need for significant investment incentives and infrastructure developments to attract high-profile investors.

If you want it you fund it and build it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Nah, it was always temporary as that land was owned by The Mall group and leased to the dinosaur people on short term contracts.(Initial contract was 10 months). Emsphere was always planned to be built there.

Regarding the fire there was a ferris wheel gondola that caught fire when (luckily) no one was on it. Then there was another short fire while the park was being demolished.

WS did have more dinosaurs in it though.

Now that you mention it, I remember the ferris wheel. When they first opened  there were also dinosaur sound emitting speakers set up at the skytrain station and outside EmQuartier.

If Disney were to receive BOI privileges and own 100% of the investment, I think they could be trusted.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I thought that was a Thai military base.

Parliament House. The new one. Prayut spent the peoples money on this. Bt23,000,000,000. Buy a few subs for that. Oh wait.......!

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I visited a couple of those parks in Thailand. After a couple of years, they are all in unsafe condition.

If the parks and the rides in the parks would be properly maintained, then this would cost a lot of money.

How many Thais would be prepared to pay 1000B or more per person entrance fee?

Easy be financed by dual pricing for farangs like everything else . 1000 battle thai, 3000 for farang easy

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

Easy be financed by dual pricing for farangs like everything else . 1000 battle thai, 3000 for farang easy

That reminds me of something else that is often sold for 3000B in Thailand. That's more fun - or at least it can be. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of something else that is often sold for 3000B in Thailand. That's more fun - or at least it can be. 

....a bottle of red wine?

bob.

On 6/1/2024 at 10:46 AM, webfact said:

The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) is urging Thailand to provide robust support for major theme parks, potentially becoming a home to renowned names like Disney.

If they are expecting money from the government they are living in cloud cuckoo land, Thailand is Broke, THERE IS NO MONEY !!      Hence the world begging tour. 

The booming tourist sector is mostly cheap Chinese tours or adult entertainment. Major theme parks will not attract them nor can the average Thai family afford it. This government however is more interested in upperclass locals anyways like the F1 proposal. Wouldn’t be surprised if they consider it. Takhsin’s grandkids will benefit. 

Oh dear God! No!

THis government seems to have lost their senses - Thailand use to sell it's natural b=eauty, but now they are concreting it oever. Heaven knows what damage they will do to the already bligghted environment. It's like Spain in the 1970s

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 5:58 PM, Purdey said:

If Disney were to receive BOI privileges and own 100% of the investment, I think they could be trusted.

Disney's largest cruise ship will be based out of Singapore from 2025. Singapore gov't has invested big time in the venture.

Would have been a great investment for Thailand.

Theme park revenues rely on local attendees for a fair proportion of revenues which could make the numbers for Disney like theme parks tough to stack up. Legoland in Johor Bharu just across the border from Singapore isn't exactly a gold mine from what I've read.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spilornis said:

Legoland in Johor Bharu just across the border from Singapore isn't exactly a gold mine from what I've read.

That's because it is in the middle of nowhere and it is a load of poo.

Took my kids there a few years ago and it was dreadful.

On 6/3/2024 at 4:15 AM, Spilornis said:

Disney's largest cruise ship will be based out of Singapore from 2025. Singapore gov't has invested big time in the venture.

Would have been a great investment for Thailand.

Theme park revenues rely on local attendees for a fair proportion of revenues which could make the numbers for Disney like theme parks tough to stack up. Legoland in Johor Bharu just across the border from Singapore isn't exactly a gold mine from what I've read.

The problem is that Thailand has neither infrastructure nor regulation to cope with this 

God, I hate Disney. As a parent I never took them to DisneyWorld or DisneyLand. When they grew older and became junkies they threatened to sue me for ruining their entire childhood; and for them developing the habits they did. Don't you people understand Disney = Woke and Woke = Disney? Keep will clear of them and don't allow your kids anywhere near their theme parks, movies or merch. 

• Confused 1