Thousands March Through London Streets Waving British and English Flags

13 minutes ago, MartinL said:

According to the Flag Institute, either Union FLAG or Union JACK is correct.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Union-Jack-or-Union-Flag.pdf

The FI seems to come to a pragmatic solution to this controversy.

A good example of the fluidity and adaptability of language - and how mediation can resolve controversies! I am intrigued that such a thing as the Flag Institute actually exists!

21 minutes ago, MartinL said:

"Balaclava-clad demonstrators, waving the flag of St George and igniting smoke canisters, filled the streets ... ".

I can see plenty of Union and English flags, even a couple of smoke canisters in the hands of some calm, happy-looking people but not many "balaclava-clad demonstrators" in the OP's photos.

What a pleasant change from the faceless ones of the pro-Gaza/Hamas crowds.

Far-Right???? They look like a bunch of perfectly ordinary folks to me.

So ordinary citizens can not be far right. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MartinL said:

The epithet 'far-right' is usually used by the press to describe snarling, shaven-headed, thuggish skinhead types, something most of these people in the photos definitely don't appear to be (despite some naturally bald heads).

But I'm sure you knew that.

Marie le Pen is far right, as are many other politicians like your own TR.

People just don't like the label, but that doesn't mean they're not it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry but what is T R's point ? what does he want ? all those not white gone or what ?

A quote snipped from the OP.

"The protest, organized by Robinson, aimed to call for the resignation of Met Police Chief Sir Mark Rowley, whom Robinson accused of overseeing a "two-tier policing" system in London. The event drew a significant crowd, some of whom had been previously linked to "football violence" and anti-lockdown protests, according to the Met Police. As the demonstrators marched down Millbank, some set off smoke flares and air horns, creating a chaotic atmosphere".

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sungod said:

No, anyone who flies a Union Jack  or George Cross is automatically branded right wing, racist, and a nazi these days. Oh, no doubt every single one of them are well known notorious football hooligans as well. Thats how pathetic the UK press is now.

Demonstrably untrue. There'll be thousands of them flown during Euro 2024in a couple of weeks. No one will think they're all racist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

No problem - lots of British people call it the Union Jack too; it's more my pedantry than anything else.

It's called a "jack" when flown from a sailing vessel.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, sungod said:

No, anyone who flies a Union Jack  or George Cross is automatically branded right wing, racist, and a nazi these days. Oh, no doubt every single one of them are well known notorious football hooligans as well. Thats how pathetic the UK press is now.

Just London's finest on the rampage, a fine day was had by all even though a colossal punch up was avoided by police action, the mean spoil sports.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

A robust police presence this week to keep  to make sure the there no disruption from the protestors  . But a few weeks ago the police threatening to arrest people who looked deliberately Jewish  .

This week the police were controlling the protestors , a few weeks ago the police were controlled by the protestors 

https://news.sky.com/video/police-officers-injured-at-pro-palestinian-rally-in-london-13144861

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

"Balaclava-clad demonstrators, waving the flag of St George and igniting smoke canisters, filled the streets ... ".

I can see plenty of Union and English flags, even a couple of smoke canisters in the hands of some calm, happy-looking people but not many "balaclava-clad demonstrators" in the OP's photos.

One did have  smoke canister though 

image.png.1b6364574817c0461dc962204bf8048d.png

Th guy on the far right makes it look like a Specials single cover 

Too Much To Young / Guns Of Navarone / Skinhead Symphony - The Specials Feat. Rico

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag." - Flag Institute

So, although the term originates from seafare it's not just for a flag that's on a vessel now.  Churchill also referred to it as the Union Jack.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, G_Money said:

Clarification complete.  

I had heard the term Union Jack before.  

It should only be referred to as "Union Jack" when  flown from a navy ship.

That's the historical correctness. Many people nowadays incorrectly refer to it as "Union Jack" in every scenario.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

British values of intolerance, racism, xenophobia, violence and stupidity.

Actually , that comment could be construed as being somewhat racist .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Fair enough - personally, I don't see that celebrating your heritage is taking credit for it; more, to me it's being in awe of it and, I suppose, being a little bit proud that you descend from that stock. Vain and pointless, possibly, but as long as it's not of the supremacist type of nationalism, essentially harmless.

You got it. Nobody is "taking credit". 

17 minutes ago, Denim said:

Actually , that comment could be construed as being somewhat racist .

As I explained in a previous post I was being sarcastic but unfortunately it went over some people's heads.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I know. I was referring to the "British Christians" not Fox. And I was being sarcastic. I'd have thought that was obvious. 

And I'm English. 

When you refer to British values as intolerance, racism, xenophobia, violence and stupidity, your self-claimed sarcasm seems to vanish instantly - a bit like a sneaky fart but one which people can still smell. 

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

When you refer to British values as intolerance, racism, xenophobia, violence and stupidity, your self-claimed sarcasm seems to vanish instantly - a bit like a smeaky fart but one which people can still smell. 

You know, when I posted I thought, should I explain I'm being sarcastic, but then I thought no-one would be stupid enough to think I was being serious.  How wrong I was. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1