US My Social Security transitioning to new login. I don't have a US mobile phone

9 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I ran into this same issue, but I can get text from banks on my Google Voice app.

My.id doesn't accept Google voice numbers. It says VoIP numbers are exclluded.

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I'm having trouble logging into myssa (using id.me and/or login.gov; I use a FIDO key for both).

Looks like myssa is back up, I can log in (via id.me).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

My.id doesn't accept Google voice numbers. It says VoIP numbers are excluded.

Now things might have changed since I verified/registered with ID.me over a year ago, but then a VOIP number like Google Voice could be used to receive two factor authorization (2FA) login codes.  And I used my Google Voice number just 5 minutes ago to log into my ID.me account.     BUT, maybe if I tried to add another Google Voice number "today" ID.me would not accept it for 2FA as organizations (such as many banks) seem to be slowing not allowing VOIP type numbers for 2FA purposes.   I know over the last half dozen or so years my Google Voice was accepted by all/100% my various login acct (like bank accts) but now it down to around a half to two thirds....all depends on the organization's security polices....nothing standardize.

HOWEVER, BUT, VOIP-type numbers can not be used for "identity verification" as when you are first registering with ID.me to prove "who you say you are."    In this case your registration with a the phone company which has a process to verify "you are really you" when opening an account---typically this occurs for "post-paid" type numbers.   A "pre-paid" mobile number probably won't work for identity verification purposes since the registration process for identity purposes is not as stringent as post-paid...and some phone companies have an additional identity process to go thru after your open a number/acct with them which then allows your phone number to act as a form of identity verification.  For a pre-paid number pretty much just having some acceptable credit/debit card to top-up the prepaid wallet is good enough to get a pre-paid acct going.

So, a VOIP number probably will not work for "identity verification" purposes to prove "you are really you" during an initial registration/identity process like how a state ID, passport, etc., is proof...but the VOIP type or prepaid number  may work work just fine receive 2FA codes "after" you get verified.   Each organization/entity/company/bank/etc., has it own policy regarding what type of phone numbers it will accept.

ID.me will also accept foreign numbers for 2FA code receipt....I also retested that a few minutes ago....code shows up to my DTAC number is just a few seconds.

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/360017839774-Troubleshooting-phone-number-verification

image.png.9930d38687bb81559e2d73c0df7f94f4.png

Edited by Pib

40 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Looks like myssa is back up, I can log in (via id.me).

Yes...me too....but an hour ago it was down like you were experiencing.  Not getting the normal webpage showing what times their system is up....just a SSA webpage saying login is simply not available right now. 

On 6/6/2024 at 5:30 PM, Thailand J said:

Thanks Pib.

Yesterday when I tried to login with Login.gov, I was asked to fill in US address and phone number which I don't have. Today I login my SSA with old password, after login,  clicked on login.gov. All i needed to do was enter my login.gov email and user ID, and enter a back up code, am in.

I already have a Login.gov account which I have created a few months ago for EFTPS, created with Thai address and phone number.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 171240.png

Thank you!  I did the same as you when going into Login.gov initially, but got stuck with the US address and US phone number problem, so I exited.  Well from your comments, I went back into my SS account and got the same message as you (the congrats message that I've linked my Login credentials to my SS account).  Appreciate you sharing your experiences as it aided with mine.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

ID.me will also accept foreign numbers for 2FA code receipt....I also retested that a few minutes ago....code shows up to my DTAC number is just a few seconds.

Yep, I registered ID.me using my AIS Thai phone, which is registered in my name. They didn't ask for proof of that, but I have it in case they ever do.

My two US banks, Schwalb and Capital One allow me either my Thai number OR my Skype (VOIP) for codes. If they stop allowing VOIP, I hope they still allow my Thai number.  They should. As a backup to that backup, I made both accounts joint with my brother, so if it ever comes to that, they can send the code to his US mobile number and he can tell it to me. Geez, you'd think as the world supposedly becomes more open and free, banks and verification systems would realize and accept that not everyone stays where they were born. We're not looking to do anything illegal, that happens in-country enough already. We're just trying to do what you guys want and to do it by-the-book... nothing nefarious. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Have you found the Manila office helpful?

I sent them a message May 08 asking for a list of documents required to apply for benefits.  Got the answer today, June 11.

You will need to contact the US Post if you are outside the US to get the documents needed. The documents will be discussed during the interview. 

Their last sentence makes no sense...maybe a typo of some type unless your question to them also asked about "how" to get certain docs vs what docs they may need from you when applying.   But as you will see below getting strange responses from Manila is probably not uncommon.  Below also talks what docs they will probably require.

Anyway, there are no documents required to "initially apply" by online (no SSA acct needed just to apply for benefits if your address is outside the U.S. such as in Thailand) OR asking for Manila to conduct your application via telephone interview.     Now what documents they will require after reviewing an application/telephone interview will vary from individual to individual depending on whether they are a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization, whether a foreign national, whether applying for a spousal benefit vs benefits based on your own earnings record, etc....etc....etc.  More at the bottom as to what will probably be required when submitting the application with a foreign address.

Over the last half dozen or so years I have applied and I have hand-walked my wife and two neighbors thru the SSA benefits application process which involved Manila.  Wife and neighbors dual Thai-US citizens.   I did mine "totally" by Manila telephone interview....by totally, I mean I did not fill out a full application to get the ball rolling....I just emailed Manila with the very basic info they needed "at the time" a half dozen years ago and I had an interview accomplished very quickly.  Then a few years later the wife also did the Manila telephone interview method...telephone interview happened fairly quick....took a few weeks or so.   Another year or so down the road my 1st neighbor did hers by Manila telephone interview which took about 5 weeks to get.  And then another year or so later (in mid 2023) a 2nd neighbor (the spouse of 1st neighbor) wanted to do his totally by Manila telephone interview but it was hard to get an interview date as described below.

For the 2nd neighbor all the basic telephone interview request info was initially sent in via the Manila SSA site....he was very specific about wanting to apply via telephone interview....he used the specific Manila FBU Online Inquiry selection for such.   Then he waited and waited.  After about two weeks he got a response that was written as if the Manila rep didn't even look to see he had included requested info....it was a strange response.   So, he resubmitted a request pointing out all the info they requested had been included in the first request but here it is again.  After about three weeks he got another response saying all interview dates are full for the next 60 days but they will try to make/free up an appt date within those 60 days; however, in case they didn't respond with a date within 60 days he should contact them again.   

The Manila response also said he could apply online.....and the way it was said implied was Manila SSA really wants people to apply online and thru that online process if they  need to schedule an interview to validate/clarify things/request docs then an interview will be scheduled much more quickly.   Additionally, a person who does not have a SSA Online Acct can still submit an online application if they have a non-U.S. address such as in Thailand.   So not having a SSA online acct is "not" an obstacle to submitting an application online if the person is has non-U.S. address.

I told my neighbor it was obvious to me Manila now wanted people to apply online and an interview will be scheduled thru that process if needed.  Otherwise he could be waiting months and months more for an interview date along with bugging Manila for a date.   Seems the days of during everything via the telephone interview were no longer in favor with Manila....yes, they still do them but they really want a person to start/initially submit the application online.  And I can understand how a telephone interview does create more work for them because during  a telephone interview they are basically creating a person's online application during the interview, hoping they understand what the person said on the phone/don't' create a typo/etc., maybe the applicant is not prepared to answer certain question during the interview...wasn't expecting a certain question/etc,... and it does not give Manila anytime to pre-evaluate an application which would be beneficial to the applicant

So, he submitted online....the standard retirement benefit application....pretty easy to complete..  He does not have a SSA online acct...since he has a Thailand address he did not have to have a SSA online acct to submit his application.   And I just checked the SSA Apply for Benefits webpage, was able to start an application by saying I do not have a SSA online acct and I do have a foreign address.  So, a person can still submit an online application even without a SSA online acct as long as they have a non-U.S. address such as in Thailand.  Additionally, no need to finalize/submit your online application in one setting....can start the application...save it online...and come back to it later to work on it some more...and finally hit signed/submit when you are done.

After submitting his application online in about two weeks out of the blue he got an email from Manila SSA saying HQ SSA (Baltimore for foreign addresses)  had passed his application to Manila for review & applicant interview before submission back to HQ SSA for final review/approval.   The Manila email included the date and time which was about six weeks down the road.   When that date arrived he got the call from Manila which basically just covered/vertified what he had submitted in his online application....phone call lasted about 10 minutes....Manila told him during the call what docs they needed in his case....and within minutes they also sent him an email stating what docs to send to Manila and how to send them.   

Basically they needed three forms:  a SS 5 form which is the one page/simple form to request a social security card....although he already had a SSN it just they need the form to scan for their SSA records specific to your application...you'll also get a new card in the mail about a month later.  They also needed his original or certified copy of his U.S. passport...and a SA1199 direct deposit bank acct form.   These had to be mailed to Manila but Manila also requested advance copies via email.    I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU MAIL ANY IMPORTANT ORIGINAL DOCS LIKE YOUR PASSPORT TO MANILA as the docs could go forever MIA in the foreign mail system (two systems).  Better to mail certified copies and also use a commercial mail service.  

He had already went to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok (he lives in Bangkok) to get a certified copy of his passport and also his Naturalization Certificate (no charge by US Embassy since applying for federal benefits)  and also went to Bangkok Bank to get them to sign his IDD 1199 direct deposit form....he went the IDD method vs the restricted acct ACH method.  He had got these documents prepared in advance of the interview as I had told them that is what Manila is surely going to ask for just like they did for his wife, my wife, and me over the years. 

If you can't easily go to the US Embassy Bangkok or Chiang Mai Consulate you can now do this via mail....remember, getting certified copies of docs requested by Manila is free....no healthy embassy notarization fee.   See below US Embassy Bangkok webpage for Mail-in Service 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

image.png.53fe392ca18b5827771ffae8307abe3b.png

In closing, when mailing important docs to Manila SSA I do not recommend using the Thailand Post Express Mail or Registered Mail services....too expensive....also docs will also go thru both the Thailand and Philippines mail systems which might increase "going MIA" chances.  Best to use a commercial mail service like DHL, Fedex, etc.   My 2nd neighbor mailed the Certified Copy docs via FedEx Express Easy...just go to you local FedEx store.....three docs in a envelope....cost Bt1,090 (Thailand Post Express Mail would have cost approx Bt1,600)....and arrived the Manila SSA office in approx 36 hours....yes, only a day and a half....and he got tracking email the whole way in addition to being able to track using the FedEx website.  

Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Pib said:

Their last sentence makes no sense...maybe a typo of some type unless your question to them also asked about "how" to get certain docs vs what docs they may need from you when applying.   But as you will see below getting strange responses from Manila is probably not uncommon.  Below also talks what docs they will probably require.

Anyway, there are no documents required to "initially apply" by online (no SSA acct needed just to apply for benefits if your address is outside the U.S. such as in Thailand) OR asking for Manila to conduct your application via telephone interview.     Now what documents they will require after reviewing an application/telephone interview will vary from individual to individual depending on whether they are a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization, whether a foreign national, whether applying for a spousal benefit vs benefits based on your own earnings record, etc....etc....etc.  More at the bottom as to what will probably be required when submitting the application with a foreign address.

Over the last half dozen or so years I have applied and I have hand-walked my wife and two neighbors thru the SSA benefits application process which involved Manila.  Wife and neighbors dual Thai-US citizens.   I did mine "totally" by Manila telephone interview....by totally, I mean I did not fill out a full application to get the ball rolling....I just emailed Manila with the very basic info they needed "at the time" a half dozen years ago and I had an interview accomplished very quickly.  Then a few years later the wife also did the Manila telephone interview method...telephone interview happened fairly quick....took a few weeks or so.   Another year or so down the road my 1st neighbor did hers by Manila telephone interview which took about 5 weeks to get.  And then another year or so later (in mid 2023) a 2nd neighbor (the spouse of 1st neighbor) wanted to do his totally by Manila telephone interview but it was hard to get an interview date as described below.

For the 2nd neighbor all the basic telephone interview request info was initially sent in via the Manila SSA site....he was very specific about wanting to apply via telephone interview....he used the specific Manila FBU Online Inquiry selection for such.   Then he waited and waited.  After about two weeks he got a response that was written as if the Manila rep didn't even look to see he had included requested info....it was a strange response.   So, he resubmitted a request pointing out all the info they requested had been included in the first request but here it is again.  After about three weeks he got another response saying all interview dates are full for the next 60 days but they will try to make/free up an appt date within those 60 days; however, in case they didn't respond with a date within 60 days he should contact them again.   

The Manila response also said he could apply online.....and the way it was said implied was Manila SSA really wants people to apply online and thru that online process if they  need to schedule an interview to validate/clarify things/request docs then an interview will be scheduled much more quickly.   Additionally, a person who does not have a SSA Online Acct can still submit an online application if they have a non-U.S. address such as in Thailand.   So not having a SSA online acct is "not" an obstacle to submitting an application online if the person is has non-U.S. address.

I told my neighbor it was obvious to me Manila now wanted people to apply online and an interview will be scheduled thru that process if needed.  Otherwise he could be waiting months and months more for an interview date along with bugging Manila for a date.   Seems the days of during everything via the telephone interview were no longer in favor with Manila....yes, they still do them but they really want a person to start/initially submit the application online.  And I can understand how a telephone interview does create more work for them because during  a telephone interview they are basically creating a person's online application during the interview, hoping they understand what the person said on the phone/don't' create a typo/etc., maybe the applicant is not prepared to answer certain question during the interview...wasn't expecting a certain question/etc,... and it does not give Manila anytime to pre-evaluate an application which would be beneficial to the applicant

So, he submitted online....the standard retirement benefit application....pretty easy to complete..  He does not have a SSA online acct...since he has a Thailand address he did not have to have a SSA online acct to submit his application.   And I just checked the SSA Apply for Benefits webpage, was able to start an application by saying I do not have a SSA online acct and I do have a foreign address.  So, a person can still submit an online application even without a SSA online acct as long as they have a non-U.S. address such as in Thailand.  Additionally, no need to finalize/submit your online application in one setting....can start the application...save it online...and come back to it later to work on it some more...and finally hit signed/submit when you are done.

After submitting his application online in about two weeks out of the blue he got an email from Manila SSA saying HQ SSA (Baltimore for foreign addresses)  had passed his application to Manila for review & applicant interview before submission back to HQ SSA for final review/approval.   The Manila email included the date and time which was about six weeks down the road.   When that date arrived he got the call from Manila which basically just covered/vertified what he had submitted in his online application....phone call lasted about 10 minutes....Manila told him during the call what docs they needed in his case....and within minutes they also sent him an email stating what docs to send to Manila and how to send them.   

Basically they needed three forms:  a SS 5 form which is the one page/simple form to request a social security card....although he already had a SSN it just they need the form to scan for their SSA records specific to your application...you'll also get a new card in the mail about a month later.  They also needed his original or certified copy of his U.S. passport...and a SA1199 direct deposit bank acct form.   These had to be mailed to Manila but Manila also requested advance copies via email.    I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU MAIL ANY IMPORTANT ORIGINAL DOCS LIKE YOUR PASSPORT TO MANILA as the docs could go forever MIA in the foreign mail system (two systems).  Better to mail certified copies and also use a commercial mail service.  

He had already went to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok (he lives in Bangkok) to get a certified copy of his passport and also his Naturalization Certificate (no charge by US Embassy since applying for federal benefits)  and also went to Bangkok Bank to get them to sign his IDD 1199 direct deposit form....he went the IDD method vs the restricted acct ACH method.  He had got these documents prepared in advance of the interview as I had told them that is what Manila is surely going to ask for just like they did for his wife, my wife, and me over the years. 

If you can't easily go to the US Embassy Bangkok or Chiang Mai Consulate you can now do this via mail....remember, getting certified copies of docs requested by Manila is free....no healthy embassy notarization fee.   See below US Embassy Bangkok webpage for Mail-in Service 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

image.png.53fe392ca18b5827771ffae8307abe3b.png

In closing, when mailing important docs to Manila SSA I do not recommend using the Thailand Post Express Mail or Registered Mail services....too expensive....also docs will also go thru both the Thailand and Philippines mail systems which might increase "going MIA" chances.  Best to use a commercial mail service like DHL, Fedex, etc.   My 2nd neighbor mailed the Certified Copy docs via FedEx Express Easy...just go to you local FedEx store.....three docs in a envelope....cost Bt1,090 (Thailand Post Express Mail would have cost approx Bt1,600)....and arrived the Manila SSA office in approx 36 hours....yes, only a day and a half....and he got tracking email the whole way in addition to being able to track using the FedEx website.  

Cheers.

Wow!!!

Great write-up!

Thank you.

I told Manila I was planning to apply for benefits, and asked what documents were required.  That is all.

Edited by NoDisplayName

Or yea, about two weeks after the Manila interview the 2nd neighbor's SSA retirement application was approved by HQ SSA (Baltimore).  And about a week further down the road he got a back payment since he had requested his benefit to begin on a date before the final approval....and then his monthly payments started arriving on the 3rd of each month like clockwork.

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

Or yea, about two weeks after the Manila interview the 2nd neighbor's SSA retirement application was approved by HQ SSA (Baltimore).  And about a week further down the road he got a back payment since he had requested his benefit to begin on a date before the final approval....and then his monthly payments started arriving on the 3rd of each month like clockwork.

I have an online account with ID.me, and will use a Thailand address.  Intend to apply online.

I plan to have benefits deposited in Navy Federal in the US, so no IDD 1199, use SA 1199?

Will they need marriage certificate, certified or otherwise?  Thai wife, not claiming any benefits.

I will have no salary or employment at least two years prior to application.

No other papers?.....birth certificate?  DD214?

Sounds like a simple, efficient process.

Edited by NoDisplayName

On 6/4/2024 at 7:30 AM, Galong said:

Thanks for your reply. 🙏 I saw that there were two options and one involved a video interview with a representative.

This is the way I got my ID.me account approved, I made a video phone call and IIRC I had to show my face and passport (or driver's license, it was a long time ago), it was a quick call and now I have no problem logging in. 

41 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I have an online account with ID.me, and will use a Thailand address.  Intend to apply online.

I plan to have benefits deposited in Navy Federal in the US, so no IDD 1199, use SA 1199?

Will they need marriage certificate, certified or otherwise?  Thai wife, not claiming any benefits.

Sounds like a simple, efficient process.

Yes...just a standard 1199 for the direct deposit setup to a US bank....and SSA might only ask for the bank name, routing number, and account number during the interview and not require you to mail in a 1199.  If I remember right I think the direct deposit routing and acct number are also asked for on the online application.

During the application process you will be asked are you married, where married, and date of marriage along with the wife's SSN if she has one.  The reason it's asked for is because when a married person applies SSA will not only review your earnings record but also the spouse's SSA earnings record (if the spouse has one) to determine which earnings record would get the applicant the most monthly benefit

In your case the wife probably does not have a SSN, has not paid any SS taxes over the years, don't have 10 years worth of SS credits, maybe never lived in the US for at least 5 years,  etc...etc....so your marriage is not a player in determining your benefits other than SSA wants/needs to know if you are married when applying.   

However, if the wife was eligible to apply for SS benefits but hasn't  paid SS taxes for at least 10 work years the wife can still get a "spousal" benefit based on your earning record if married long enough....it's a percentage of what your benefit is.  If a spousal benefit is in play they would ask the wage earner (you in this case) to complete an attached SSA-3 Marriage Certification so your wife could submit with her application.

SSA-3 Marriage Certification.pdf

Although there are no shortage of horror stories on social media sites regarding applying for SSA benefits "each applicant" has a different life story, earnings record, maybe dual citizenship, maybe social security benefits from another country, etc....etc....etc....just a whole bunch of different things that can bog down/slow down an application....make an applicant pull their hair out.   And of course some of the problems in some horror stories are self-induced/applicant caused but they may fail to mentioned that in their social media rant.   And during the COVID pandemic processing of application slowed way, way down which caused a new batch of horror stories. 

But for most people the application process is simple and straight forth.  Sounds like yours will be.  Good luck...once the SSA approves your application you will officially be an "Ol' Geezer" in the eyes of the U.S. govt.  😉

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

Maybe not all are computer savvy! The "transition process" only asked me to enter a new password. Nothing else. It worked perfectly. Seems to be not a problem!!

• 1 month later...

"and not even have to enter a phone number during the Login.gov acct setup for SSA acct login purposes."

I just got login.gov after many attempts. I DO have US # but it's Ultra pre-paid, 3$/ mo, and previously they didn't approve it to get verification codes.

So, I marked (lied) "No phone" window and got verification to my Email. I clicked the link and got my new account.

After that my phone # started to work during log in 🙂 now I'm getting codes to my phone.

One thing was strange: First I got 2 "Golden Corral" verification codes! The 3rd was from SSA.

How is that possible? I googled sender's ph # and it was "FREE message center". All 3 came from that sender.

Check it out;  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=16156826886

Is it really so SSA is using fly-by-night companies for very important verification? Looks like they do.

I took screen shots and mailed question to SSA. Let's see if they answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Connect with Social Security
from Anywhere with
Social Security Video Connect
With Social Security Video Connect, you’ll have a personal experience without having to visit
an office.1 You can connect with a Social Security representative over video to handle your
business with us. This includes:
• Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefit applications.
• Overpayments.
• Medicare.
• Supplemental Security Income redeterminations.
• U.S. citizen no-change replacement Social Security cards.
• U.S. citizen date of birth corrections.
1 Some requests may require an in-person interview.
Just follow these simple steps:
1 Contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213
between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to request
a video appointment.
2 A Social Security representative will determine if a video
appointment is an appropriate option, based on the service you
request. Note, you must have a device with a web camera and
internet access to use Social Security Video Connect.
3 If you are eligible for a video appointment, you will need to provide
your email address.
4 Your local office will send you an email with a link for a Microsoft
(MS) Teams video appointment.
5 On the date and time of your appointment, you will connect with us
using the link provided.
6 If you need to reschedule or experience any issues with the link,
contact your local office for assistance, or call 1-800-772-1213
between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you are not eligible for a video appointment, you can still conduct
some business online or schedule a telephone or in-office appointment.
SSA.gov
Social Security Administration
Publication No. 05-10539 | May 2024
Connect with Social Security from Anywhere with Social Security Video Connect
Produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expense

The Social Security program is currently facing "a customer service crisis," according to the Social Security Administration's (SSA) new commissioner, former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley.

"We're in a customer service crisis right now," O'Malley said, talking on the agency's podcast, SSA Talks, in an episode released on Thursday. "It's not normal. It's not acceptable. And it's not right [that] the people who have worked their whole lives to earn benefits should have to wait for 44 minutes, for an hour or more, in order to have their question answered."

O'Malley was sworn into his new role in late December 2023, after the SSA came under fire following an investigation that revealed that the agency had asked for billions of dollars back from beneficiaries in overpayments. The investigation was followed by a hearing from the House Ways and Means subcommittee which prompted the SSA to promise a review of its procedures around benefit overpayments.

Explaining what the agency's priorities are going to be under his leadership, O'Malley mentioned the challenges that Social Security beneficiaries are facing because of the agency's lengthy and sometimes troubling procedures.

"It's not right that 10,000 people a year die waiting for their disability determinations to be made, and it's not right that we should have situations where we, through no fault of the recipient, find ourselves in the situation of over  payments and recovering dollars that actually put people out of their homes and inflict enormous hardship on, as you know, seniors," he said. "Half of our seniors who are out there live entirely on Social Security."

I recently did this transition from username pwd to login.gov.

It was surprisingly quite easy.

You are presented with a list of authenticators to choose.

First I choose the code list.

They generate a list of codes that you save.

Then it suggested that I choose another.

It was NOT required to choose another.

I tried the SMS phone option after I learned that Thai numbers were OK.

I added that, got a code on my Thai phone, and successfully added a second authenticator option.

No U.S. phone needed. No Thai phone needed either.

Easy peasy.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2024 at 7:24 AM, NoDisplayName said:

Have you found the Manila office helpful?

I sent them a message May 08 asking for a list of documents required to apply for benefits.  Got the answer today, June 11.

My wife and I have had terrible results dealing with FBU Manila.

My wife's very simple application for retirement benefits was submitted July 4 '23 to start collecting Oct. '23.

After 5 months, Manila finally on Dec. 20 '23 scheduled the required phone call  for Jan. 16 '24.

My wife's first payment arrived Jun 3, '24..... 8 months past the requested start date, but backpay included.

Both my wife and I have several other issues with SSA but when I ask Manila 3 questions about the issues they give an answer to the first question that is hardly relevant and then ignore the other questions.

I think FBU Manila is not authorized to do much beyond collecting and verifying the data on applications.  But even those simple tasks are not handled efficiently.  To me... going through Manila just introduces extra delays.

We submitted our applications online, but they ended up being sent to Manila.

I hope you have a better experience with them.

58 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I added that, got a code on my Thai phone, and successfully added a second authenticator option.

Easy peasy.

The wife and I transition from SSA Username/PW to via login.gov went easy; however, she could not get login.gov to accept her DTAC phone number (post paid...had the number for over a decade and half).  Login.gov keep giving an error message saying it's a VOIP number and VOIP numbers are not accepted...and when trying the call option it said login.gov can't make voice calls to Thailand along with the VOIP msg.  So she set it up to use  Authenicator and Backup Codes for 2FA authorization.  She tried again just a few minutes ago to see if it would accept her DTAC mobile number....once again rejection as a VOIP number (which it is not).

Now, I already had a login.gov acct I had to setup about a year ago to access some other govt agency website and that agency used the same process as SSA didg to transition from Username/PW to going thru the login.gov portal ....and login.gov accepted my DTAC phoneu number....DTAC post paid number just like the wife's...our numbers were issued by DTAC on the same day over a decade and half ago by the same DTAC shop. And my y login.gov access is NOT a full blown identify verificaiton where you just apply to login.gov with all your IDs, etc.  That other govt agency used the same process as the SSA is using for the switch from Username/PW to login.gov.    

So, when the wife's DTAC number was not accepted by login.gov but my DTAC was accepted "about a year ago" I just figured login.gov had underwent a policy change over the last year or so regarding Thailand phone numbers for text or call.   But I do see some folks with Thailand mobile numbers are being accepted as valid numbers like in your case.

Oh well, she has 2FA authorization access via Authenicator app (setup in MS Authenicator and Google Authenicator along with Backup Codes) for login via the login.gov portal.  

Pib please clarify the purpose of your login is to enter MYSSA info web account... The MYSSA is not a person to person secured tool to resolve applications.... verification....  etc... problems dealing inside a pyramid of SSA isolated individually motivated SSA agents available to respond to your personal MYSSA requests.

Agreed your login is good entering IRS and etc your USA GOV file portals, not as a live person communication to problems scattered inside a pyramid files of data, scrutinized. isolated, agent delayed departmental distributed in and out of the SSA pyramid....

The NEW Director of USA SSA.GOV,  Commissioner O’Malley. declared a chaos of problems delays inside the SSA pyramid and  recently started revising SSA system. integrate agents together departments scattered  isolated to streamline SSA process your your data history accumulated files.

Microsoft TEAMS was accepted by USA GOV including the SSA.GOV recently and using Artificial Intelligence able to compile and thus connect remote divisions agents to streamline benefits
applications data. For example the last step of SSA payments is at and from USA Treasury, completely isolated from SSA pyramid agents flow, takes ~six months? change to new bank account address...

MS-TEAMS video audio chat is new choice for SSA.GOV direct services and connection to all the SSA derivatives such as the USA Treasury, IRS, etc secured global agent to agent available as needed decisions process.

Imagine if people could easily access all information they need through any channel (online, over phone, text, and

more) and have their own virtual assistant AI COPILOT to help them apply for benefits using natural, language.

Imagine if customer service representatives had access to complete, 360-degree view of the constituent—if it

knew their history and all their previous contacts with every social service agency pyramid of agents.

Boost  workforce productivity. Governments can potentially save time and money using generative AI for scenarios such as live transcriptions and translations during benefit eligibility interviews. AI can also draw

insights more easily from large volumes of history, verification  data, certificates, scattered files.

Embrace “Prevention by Design.” AI can integrate controls into systems to detect fraudulent or erroneous activities and enable real-time profiling and alerts. more than 43,000 fraudulent calls and reduced fraud.

For example, a government department is developing an Intelligent Website AI Assistant to help taxpayers more

easily process their tax returns. It uses natural, everyday language to address queries and disseminate timely

and consistent information. This will help improve compliance and avoid revenue leakages from fraudulent
 activities.
Microsoft TEAMS software       https://www.ssa.gov/marketing/assets/materials/EN-05-10539.pdf

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, exant said:

Pib please clarify the purpose of your login is to enter MYSSA info web account... The MYSSA is not a person to person secured tool to resolve applications.... verification....  etc... problems dealing inside a pyramid of SSA isolated individually motivated SSA agents available to respond to your personal MYSSA requests.

I mean loging into your MySSA online account. 

On 8/2/2024 at 7:56 PM, Jingthing said:

Easy peasy.

I did the same.

But when I tried to use my new login.gov, for logging into the SSA, while the 2 methods of authentication I had chosen for the login.gov worked fine (Thai tel ## SMS & Code sheet) I still was required to input an "Authentication Code" they said that they had sent to me and if I didn't have one to go to another page to fill in my telephone number (only US tel ##'s allowed, couldn't input my Thai mobile ## I had set up for login.gov to receive SMS successfully) & my home address (only US addresses allowed and not my address here in Thailand registered already with the SSA).  So while the login.gov login works in and of itself, I still can't access my SSA account with it.

Glad I got ID.me set up w/o such difficulties........that gets me to my SSA account.....

Edited by jeffandgop

Same problem just today with LOGIN.GOV... the LOGIN.GOV web page portal ask your email and password then logs in to a page to continue enter one time number...   OK go   Click around contact help

There is no number delivered so LOGIN.GOV help support was contacted and have replied only as quoted "problem resolved" and my case number... Try again LOGIN.GOV

web page and stuck can not continue after prompted to enter a single one time ???  Tried to reset LOGIN.COM and email notification was received,   my account is valid should you decide to delete it wait one day to confirm,it LOGIN.GOV email....   

READ a PERSONAL OPINION LIKE IT OR HATE IT OR CONTACT NEW MR OMALLEY DIRECTOR SSA.GOV 

Personal remarks and private rambling SSA psychotic out of control security software execution tasks are growing, exploding in series of trouble, applications. updates, demanded from older, retired, poor eye sighted.

USA SSA citizens ability to manipulate all security issues, in the past a simple walk in SSA.GOV USA office, one

time experience.

FBU MANILA intercepts and closed ASIA SSA.GOV communication services thus offers isolated connections, CIA

scrutinized security verification of SSA.GOV identification,  ASIA bank accounts, address, phone, etc over months delayed investigations conducted every year alive or dead SSA forms.  Before 2018 this was a local USA Embassy

service. The service was efficient offered at every USA State Department Embassy with secured valid USA

10 year passport in person identity to please any SSA.GOV benefit agents. A simple local country to country USA State Department walk in the door person to person assistance and paper benefit forms verification at every USA Citizens Service delivered to Baltimore International SSA.GOV.  Paper USD was available every month

untill MANILA massaged SSA International MANILA should be in charge of SSA ASIA

2018 this was  destroyed,  it takes  30 days to send paper mail to Manila and then another 60 days to send Baltimore random open by isolated remote SSA agents then Baltimore SSA takes another six months.. If you

inquire by phone  you geta record  sorry we are dealing with 50 million SSA customers every day every minute 

Newsweek printed 820,00 GLOBAL USA SSA.GOV customers and only a hand full of USA SSA.GOV customers in Thailand people who also do not require services every day every minute, so Manila FBU SSA.GOV decided to

work only  two hours a week and to save money postal and phone delay or ignore USA SSA.GOV citizen help

because MANILA random hired fired agents was never educated or trained by SSA INTERNATIONAL customer service duties.   

The United States Of America, The USA State Department is a global networked intelligence agency staffed

citizens services, world wide, superior personal identity security clearance, above simple USA home grown

id to steal SSA.GOV money..

Psychotic fraud, SSA theft protection software teams, have multiple capture outside USA if they must enter  a

foreign country Immigration, passport identification, apply temporary immigration visa, police letter to open a foreign bank IDD SSA.GOV account, security to receive USA SSA benefits  deposited foreign country bank account.  Manila FBU should stand down and local process Filipino USA citizens with local SSA problems cation and return  other country locations USA SSA services process options to  USA EMBASSY face to face passport SSA INTERNATIONAL applications and services the same as local passport renewal, birth death, etc. etc at

a local country  USA Embassy Citizens Services...  Why all this psycho software and postal delays kicking USA SSA papers down the road six months a year postal delays... LOGIN.GOV  and    ID-me software isstep in the 

right directions for the new generation of computer smart children retiring in ASIA but these programs are

a problem with old handicap disabled old people trying to stay upgraded leaning over keyboard the programs

should be simple for SSA.GOV Benefits retirement and not psycho designed for CIA NSA remote agents! 

BACK TO LOGIN.GOV alternate ID-me instructions

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/202673924-Creating-your-ID-me-account

I give up this is a software program for CIA NSA agents  and not for old disabled USA citizens trying to communicate with USA SSA.GOV agents living off of our tax removed pay checks ... Nobody cares to solve the problem as is the last options are MS-TEAMS video requisitions..

Pip and others:

Try this. I got everything working doing this:

"I just got login.gov after many attempts. I DO have US # but it's Ultra pre-paid, 3$/ mo, and previously they didn't approve it to get verification codes.

So, I marked (lied) "No phone" window and got verification to my Email. I clicked the link and got my new account.

After that my phone # started to work during log in 🙂 now I'm getting codes to my phone."

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 7:56 PM, Jingthing said:

Easy peasy.

Thx for the info.

I also transitioned seamlessly today to login.gov with the "backup codes" option.  It would not accept my Google Voice number, shrug, just going to use the codes for now.  Don't know why it won't just use my email to send OTP but the codes work just fine.

Edited by expat_4_life