Desktop Cutting Out.

Twice yesterday and twice today my all in one Acer desktop has just cut off while I was using it, then I can just turn it back on again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? A loose connection maybe? Surely if it was I would not be able to turn it back on again.

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it could be a heat issue .....  if it gets too hot windows will shut down automatically.  

Do you know how to run a system check  ?

I don't think it's a heat issue, I have AC running nearly all the time. I do not know how to run a system check, I suppose I could take it to my local computer shop.

Posted (edited)

click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen ...

then type in ' cmd '   in the seach box 

when the cmd is shown on the left ... right click on it with mouse and -- select run as administrator 

then when you get the black box ( command prompt )

type in  '  sfc /scannow  '    and hit enter 

let it run that and fix any corrupt files.

after that's done ....   then type in  '  dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth  '   and hit enter 

let it run through that program and fix any system issues.

then type ' chkdsk  '   and hit enter

it will tell you it cannot now but can at next restart ....   Just type  ' Y '  and hit enter

then type  ' exit  '   and hit enter 

then go to the bottom left start menu again and click on restart ...

let it run through and check your disk and system.  

That should fix any issues related to corrupt files, faults or system issues. 

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Twice yesterday and twice today my all in one Acer desktop has just cut off while I was using it, then I can just turn it back on again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? A loose connection maybe? Surely if it was I would not be able to turn it back on again.

Over heating, install Core Temp or Speccy to see if it is.......😉

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

did you try   ?

I have just finished writing down everything you have said, I will try it out tomorrow with my laptop unless my desktop cuts out again. I will keep the notes handy for any other time I may need them. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have just finished writing down everything you have said, I will try it out tomorrow with my laptop unless my desktop cuts out again. I will keep the notes handy for any other time I may need them. Thanks.

aha ....  you could have taken a photo of it with your mobile ...  just quicker & easier.  

anyway,   once you can do this sequence ...  and you will just know how to do it easily,  you can do this every few weeks just to repair corrupt files and fix issues.   I run the sfc /scannow every week or so.  

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha ....  you could have taken a photo of it with your mobile ...  just quicker & easier.  

anyway,   once you can do this sequence ...  and you will just know how to do it easily,  you can do this every few weeks just to repair corrupt files and fix issues.   I run the sfc /scannow every week or so.  

If I had a printer that would have been best, it would have been a lot harder on my phone and would have lost it eventually. 

42 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What is Core Temp or Speccy?

Core Temp you download free, you can set it to tell you your CPU temp every second in the bar at the bottom of your screen. Speccy is even better, it tells you everything that's in your computor including all temperatures, you can again set in the bar to tell you temps. I think either can turn off PC if CPU overheats, but your CPU may have an overheat shut down feature, that is why I recommend installing either.

I have had a few probs this year with the high summer temps and PC overheating, had to do a bit of work to cure it...

Open Speccy and write down what CPU you have installed, then google its max temp, then see what your CPU temps are doing.. 🤗

• Thanks 1