Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Unnecessarily argumentative, again, there's nothing even remotely incorrect about what I wrote!

My comment doesn't suggest anything is guaranteed, only that the taxpayer must state /decide what the nature is of the funds being remitted. 

"there is no default position or automatic assumption that a remittance is one thing or the other", but the first step in the process is the taxpayer must decide what it is and so say.

Nothing argumentative about pointing out that your statement is wrong:

"A remittance is considered to be whatever the taxpayer says it is,"

Where is your prove that a taxpayer can simply declare this or that it not a remittance? We can then all declare we never made a remittance and everything is jolly good. You still stand by your argument? I can very well remember where in several posts you claimed that an ATM withdrawal is a remittance.

Edited by stat

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I've no interest in playing your word games nor in turning this thread into another 8,000 post thread that accomplished nothing. You understand full well what was said and why, if you want to debate your legal definitions of what the Thai TRD intends, do so in a court of law and not with me.

I agree with Mike,  the Thai rd working with banks here will determine if one's remittances are assessable or not under Thai rules so if one sends money into Thailand, or if they do anything with ATM's or CC's, then those too will be determined by the RD to be assessable or not.  One may have documentation that something is not assessable (i.e. US govt Pension or LTR if that still stands) .  WOuld be nice for the RD to publish the final paper - but my feeling is they are still discussing the "HOW" of this before even beginning on the worldwide scheme.  Good luck to all

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I agree with Mike,  the Thai rd working with banks here will determine if one's remittances are assessable or not under Thai rules so if one sends money into Thailand, or if they do anything with ATM's or CC's, then those too will be determined by the RD to be assessable or not.  One may have documentation that something is not assessable (i.e. US govt Pension or LTR if that still stands) .  WOuld be nice for the RD to publish the final paper - but my feeling is they are still discussing the "HOW" of this before even beginning on the worldwide scheme.  Good luck to all

Perhaps I'm not being explicitly clear and simple enough in this when I say that the onus is on the tax filer/payer to self declare and self assess what he/she considers to be assessable income. That is funds that have been transferred from overseas, to Thailand (feel free to supplant the word remitted as long as it doesn't cause anxiety or confusion). Whether or not the TRD accepts what the taxpayer says is another matter, which I think is the point where your post begins.

But....didn't we have this and similar discussions at least fifty times since November 2023 and wasn't it agreed 49 times since! I mean, I'm all for a little nostalgia from time to time but this is looking like C.O.D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Perhaps I'm not being explicitly clear and simple enough in this when I say that the onus is on the tax filer/payer to self declare and self assess what he/she considers to be assessable income. That is funds that have been transferred from overseas, to Thailand (feel free to supplant the word remitted as long as it doesn't cause anxiety or confusion). Whether or not the TRD accepts what the taxpayer says is another matter, which I think is the point where your post begins.

But....didn't we have this and similar discussions at least fifty times since November 2023 and wasn't it agreed 49 times since! I mean, I'm all for a little nostalgia from time to time but this is looking like C.O.D.

I thhink it was more times than that...but as an old fart, the memory is not as sharp as you youngsters anymore...take care have a good one!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

4.Exemption for Pre-2024 Income The amendment explicitly states that income earned before January 1, 2024, is exempt from these new provisions if transferred to Thailand by the end of 2024. This provides a grace period for taxpayers to adjust to the new rules.

So what happens if savings are transferred after the end of 2024?!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So what happens if savings are transferred after the end of 2024?!

True savings, e.g. balances of non interest bearing accounts before tax residency in Thailand or from inheritances (potentially subject to Thai inheritance tax) are not tax assessable income if remitted to Thailand. Other remittances of commingled foreign sources such as from financial investments with interest, dividends and capital gains or from property sales with realised gains may, and in my opinion will, qualify as at least partially tax assessable income, depending on the possibly never known accounting method applied consistently across TRD offices.

Edited by Klonko

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Not reliable at all, nonsense in fact.

"According to the Revenue Departmental Order No. Por. 162/2566 re: Income Taxation under section 41, paragraph two, of the Revenue Code, dated 20 November 2023 ("Order No. 162"), offshore-sourced income received by Thai tax resident individuals before 2024 can be brought into Thailand in any subsequent year without being subject to Thai personal income tax. Order No. 162 is the supplemental amendment to the Revenue Departmental Order No. Por. 161/2566 ("Order No. 161"), providing additional guidance on the same matter".

https://insightplus.bakermckenzie.com/bm/tax/thailand-offshore-sourced-income-received-before-1-january-2024-can-be-brought-into-thailand-in-2024-or-later-without-being-subject-to-thai-personal-income-tax

So two law firms (Victor Wong – Financial Analyst and Tax Expert, and Baker McKenzie) stating exactly the opposite? SMH.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

As with anything, it's important to consider the source of the information, If people buy the tabloids to find out legal information, they deserve what they get. Another option of course is to try best out of three, fortune cookies or similar perhaps.

Especially anyone living here and having to rely on the locals to get things correct, maybe, sometimes or then again maybe not.   Life is great!  glad to see so much green again.

• Like 1

Came across the following, purely by chance, perhaps it will prevent further carping from the sidelines:

https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/tolley/tax/glossary/remittance

Remittance definition

sound icon/rɪˈmɪt(ə)ns/

What does Remittance mean?

Remittance is the sending of money from one person (or entity) to another, or from one place to another place. 

Remittances can have tax implications. For example, the payment of a business bill will usually attract some tax relief for the business. The type of remittance being made, can also trigger some tax obligations. For example, the payment of an employee’s salary may require the completion of payroll filings by the employer and the withholding of tax, national insurance and student loan repayments to pay over to HMRC.

It seems that the Savings issue has been clarified for 2024 with a time limit to get your old savings into the country by year end but the RD has said nothing about taxing Global Worldwide income possibly starting next year.

Sometime I think they put things out there as trial balloons to gauge reaction which of course has been very negative ( Worldwide Income Tax).  So we can just wait and see what happens.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

The article in Pattaya Mail yesterday looks very credible to me and a 12/31/24 deadline for bringing in old savings was clearly given. I see this as closing a loophole.

Good for you, do you always get all your tax news from there! Hint: look u the wording of Por 162 at the revenue.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Should be a fun first couple of years of tax filing under the new changes, every tax expert will follow different rules, and every RD office will do the same......sounds just like Immigration, Fun Fun!! 😔

Yes, lawyers everywhere are like the banks and other financial institutions and with all politicians one can not trust any of them and often fight each others

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Came across the following, purely by chance, perhaps it will prevent further carping from the sidelines:

https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/tolley/tax/glossary/remittance

Remittance definition

sound icon/rɪˈmɪt(ə)ns/

What does Remittance mean?

Remittance is the sending of money from one person (or entity) to another, or from one place to another place. 

Remittances can have tax implications. For example, the payment of a business bill will usually attract some tax relief for the business. The type of remittance being made, can also trigger some tax obligations. For example, the payment of an employee’s salary may require the completion of payroll filings by the employer and the withholding of tax, national insurance and student loan repayments to pay over to HMRC.

Does remittance also mean government pensions, Mike? Sorry it's probably been raised before.

6 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Does remittance also mean government pensions, Mike? Sorry it's probably been raised before.

Of course it does.

It does not, however, mean that a remittance of a government pension results in assessable income for Thai tax purposes.

(Check your home country's DTA to see if government pensions are covered.)

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

Of course it does.

It does not, however, mean that a remittance of a government pension results in assessable income for Thai tax purposes.

(Check your home country's DTA to see if government pensions are covered.)

UK no DTA unfortunately 

• Agree 1