Do you believe that you can survive an all-out global thermo-nuclear war?

Do you believe that you can survive an all-out global thermo-nuclear war?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Literally every day, I'm now hearing commentary about nuclear war.  It's everywhere.  It's reflective of the reality that war is being conducted, or is being planned for the future, pretty much across the globe and entails the participation of all of the nuclear "power-players" on the planet.   So some people think that global thermo-nuclear war will be survivable by segments of the general population.  Others, like myself, believe that the general population will not survive. 

So, what do you think:  If we have an all-out global, strategic thermo-nuclear war - do you believe that it's survivable? 

Do you believe that you can personally survive?
I'm purposefully limiting the answers to "Yes" or "No."  Pick one and let us know the rationale for your choice.  :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

From what I have read about nuclear war and the resulting nuclear winter:-

5% of the world population dies in the fireballs and radiation exposure.
90% die of starvation over the next 24 months due to the drop in solar radiation resulting in the failure of all crops.

As the survivors start to starve all society breaks down.

To survive you would need to have enough food and water to last for years and seeds to replant later, and enough bullets to fight off any starving survivors. 

So unless you have your own private island with useable land and water and the knowledge and tools to farm and the weapons to defend it you will either starve or be on someone's menu. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Yes. I once survived a Chicken Vindaloo and 8 pints of Guinness, so anythings possible.  On a serious note there isn't a weapon on earth that's only been used once in a fight (war); I can't see a Nuclear weapon being an exception unfortunately.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, connda said:

So, what do you think:

I’m the least bit concerned about it.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, connda said:

do you believe that it's survivable?

Dwelling and worrying about it will probably more likely cause an early death from stress before the bomb arrives.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Many people are saying that injecting bleach and taking horse tranquilizers counters the radiation. 

Yes, it was suggested by the leader of a certain exceptional country. Undeniable proof of the average intellect of its citizens, voting such a genius into the top job. Rumour has it that the average intellect has deteriorated/increased? as this genus might be voted in again.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I have read some research, according to it everything depends of number of warheads to being used. The predicted value is 10-15%.

This petty low number is predicted because of various reasons: not all nuclear countries are in conflict, some warheads are destroyed because them are the primary target,not all warheads will work, not all waheads are moved from “cold storage”, some warheads will be shot down.

if assume that the 10-15% will be correct, the prognosis is this:

- northern hemisphere: complete death because of temperatures are -50 for 2 winters

-Thailand altitude: two winters with temperatures around -15 to -5 (depending on 15% or 10% of warheads usage). Theoretically survivable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, VBer said:

I have read some research, according to it everything depends of number of warheads to being used. The predicted value is 10-15%.

This petty low number is predicted because of various reasons: not all nuclear countries are in conflict, some warheads are destroyed because them are the primary target,not all warheads will work, not all waheads are moved from “cold storage”, some warheads will be shot down.

if assume that the 10-15% will be correct, the prognosis is this:

- northern hemisphere: complete death because of temperatures are -50 for 2 winters

-Thailand altitude: two winters with temperatures around -15 to -5 (depending on 15% or 10% of warheads usage). Theoretically survivable. 

I could live with that. I still have plenty of winter clothing. My main concern is sunshine. Will my solar system get enough to continue charging my car?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Read up on nuclear winter

I have , and it's nowt compared to an English winter in t'north of England. Snow was up to our eyes in depth, we had icicles hanging from our noses and retained 7 layers of clothing for 8 months non stop. We all slept in one bed and shared 1 hot water bottle for warmth which we topped up with weewee during the night. Some nights we would all climb in the fridge because it was warmer and during the day we would take the doors off the rooms and burn them to thaw out.

Wonderful memories, the 50's in the UK were glorious times. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaLa said:

I have , and it's nowt compared to an English winter in t'north of England. Snow was up to our eyes in depth, we had icicles hanging from our noses and retained 7 layers of clothing for 8 months non stop. We all slept in one bed and shared 1 hot water bottle for warmth which we topped up with weewee during the night. Some nights we would all climb in the fridge because it was warmer and during the day we would take the doors off the rooms and burn them to thaw out.

Wonderful memories, the 50's in the UK were glorious times. 

Monty Python was great; loved that sketch.

I now say that the Atomic Doomsday Clock is about 15 seconds from midnight.  We are wayyyy past where we were during the Cuban Missile Crisis when I was doing "duck and cover" drills under my classroom desk.  That was futile - we lived on a SAC base and would have been vaporized.  I "ducked" nuclear annihilation in 1962, I don't think we make it though 2024.  Why?  "Russia's bluffing," is going to get us all killed.  Which in the minds of the billionaire psychopaths on this planet may actually be the point.  If the airways still work after the first EMPs what you'd hear from the MSM pundits when shtf is "We never saw this coming...."  Willful ignorance is bliss.

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

Which in the minds of the billionaire psychopaths on this planet may actually be the point. 

Should the last war result, and I somehow survive, I'll be sure to have a little welcome back party for them as they emerge from their bunkers thinking they will have a world without all us inconvenient peasants.

• Haha 2