Want to find a romantic Thai partner

I’m from Canada and I’ve been in Thailand for about five months now. As I continue to immerse myself in the Bangkok way of life, I’ve also been contemplating dipping my toes into the dating scene here after recently breaking up with a long-time girlfriend from back home.

However, I must admit, I feel a bit out of my depth. While I’ve heard countless stories about the charm and allure of Thai women, I’ve also heard about the complexities and nuances involved in cross-cultural relationships. One concern that weighs a bit on my mind is the stereotype about Thai women and their financial aspirations. I want to ensure that any potential relationship I engage in is built on mutual respect and understanding, rather than purely on materialism or expectations.

Another aspect that I’ve heard a lot about is the importance of family in Thai culture. While I deeply respect these values, I can’t help but feel a bit intimidated by the prospect of meeting a partner’s family early on in a relationship. How can I navigate this aspect with grace and sincerity, while also ensuring that I’m setting the right tone for the future?

Additionally, I’m keen to learn more about the language to help form a relationship. While I’ve been making efforts to learn Thai, and can speak a bit, I wonder how crucial fluency is going to be in building a meaningful relationship.

Well, I may have already some general stereotypes and misconceptions about dating from others in Thailand, so I’m eager to gain a more nuanced understanding now. I do want to approach this with an open mind though as I have a genuine desire to connect with a woman in the right way.

I truly appreciate any wisdom, long term experiences, or advice you can share or offer.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well, one thing I havent experienced in Thailand is romantic girls. Yes, some girls can play along, but really ? Thai girls romantic? I maybe have different view on what is romantic, but, a Thai girl who loves to walk, talk, candles, wine, cheese, fine dining flirting, ? I had my moments with Thai girls, but, well, to be true they are more straight forward than  western girls, who you have to take time to know, date, play the game, and convince. At least how it was when I was younger. Maybe not like this anymore anywhere

I have a feeling that the OP meant "a Thai romantic partner".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I have a feeling that the OP meant "a Thai romantic partner".

Most likely, still be in a thai relationship is different, and expecting to know everythign and learn anything by the members here experiences their manual? I doubt it, it have to be experienced first hand, make mistakes, try again, if not the first and best manage to grap him straight away, but learning he have been here for a long time already, he might not dare to try yet afraid of failing

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well, one thing I havent experienced in Thailand is romantic girls. Yes, some girls can play along, but really ? Thai girls romantic? I maybe have different view on what is romantic, but, a Thai girl who loves to walk, talk, candles, wine, cheese, fine dining flirting, ? I had my moments with Thai girls, but, well, to be true they are more straight forward than  western girls, who you have to take time to know, date, play the game, and convince. At least how it was when I was younger. Maybe not like this anymore anywhere

and that makes 2 .... 555

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hummin said:

anyway, this is most likely a created thread for more clicks and replies. A perfect click bait

non convicted felon thread though. a relief. its getting a little weird. 

15 hours ago, Terrance8812 said:

I want to ensure that any potential relationship I engage in is built on mutual respect and understanding,

You think too mutt ... test out a few , but don't expect too much ...

Most of them are taught , and know how to catch a farang .

Good luck .

• Like 2

…so you post on a forum full of old mongers asking about love and romance?

good luck with that.. just let me grab the 🍿

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1