Credit card deception

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey georgie, you've got some fan club here. 

You have thick skin, this negativity doesn't bother you, you just keep posting here on AN. 😂

Me personally, or all who replied about Scotland Yard

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The posters reaction seems a bit over the top. 

He's acting like Sherlock Holmes trying to solve the case even contacting Scotland yard in London. 

Frustrating but you will get a refund and a new card chill out. #hit happens

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:58 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The big deal is ....I have the CC in front of me !

How did someone use it?

10 years ago in USA.

I notice a charge on my AMEX around 08:00 when checking my account. The charge was made around 04:00.  I am ON the phone with AMEX ...WHEN... someone in BRAZIL tried to make a charge against the card.  Needless to say...

04:00 CHARGE REFUNDED, NEW ACCOUNT and NEW CARD ISSUED / RECEIVED WITHIN 3 DAYS.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2024 at 12:22 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Your joking right?

You have the same APATHY attitude as the idiot I rang in the Australian Federal police , what's the word ..is it nonchalant..in other words not taking it seriously 

These  people who used my CC must of been laughing at me as they ATE on my money !

All having a good old laugh at George ! 

Well I for one am not taking it ! 

Get a life

• Agree 2

On 6/15/2024 at 12:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Aw gawd...   made the mistake of not looking at who the author of the thread is.

Over-reacting drama queen.

This is a nothing - non event that happens to most / a lot of people on a yearly basis.

He wants Scotland Yard involved - this perfectly highlights how far removed from reality this poster is. 

Months ago gg was posting irrational and frankly insulting things. I put him on ignore.

Seems I took the right decision.

• Agree 2

On 6/15/2024 at 11:58 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The UK detectives (London)  I rang were much better

although I had trouble over the phone understanding the Scottish police ( Scotland Yard)

Not very good at geography are we.

UK detectives (London) which is in England, Scotland Yard is the name of the HQ of London police, English police and Scottish police are like the forces in your own Countries States - separate.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Recently I came back to my home country of Australia after being locked up in Pattaya for 6 weeks, I won't get into the full story as I'm suffering PTSD over it

But I checked my credit card statement to see 5 transactions for Uber made in Europe totalling $400 US in one night !

I immediately rang the credit card company ( Australian bank) to get a very bad woman on the end who told me she would cancel my card and I must go and fill out a dispute form and send it in.

She was clearly unemotional and I  was angry and she told me to calm down 

I had my CC in front of me so who used it for $400 in the UK for Uber when I was in Thailand?

She told me it's likely someone could of bought my numbers off the dark web or copied my card 

Now I rang the police in Australia who were disinterested and smart arse who asked me if I wanted they send a team of top Australian detectives to London ,when I said yes ! He hung up the phone !

So I rang the UK London metro detectives who were a bit more nicer and they told me to ring the bank in Australia but if I found a nameof any offender  to call them back 

Any idea how they  would use my CC details to buy food  in a uber eats  across the World ?

My first question in this case is, Do you have that CC on file with a company/business that you do regular business with? I had a similar problem with debit card. Someone used my card details to order food via Deliveroo in London to the cost of B27K. I was credited with the lost amount, but it took 3 weeks. Once bitten twice shy. I don't lodge my card details with anyone now. 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:22 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Which number did you use to get direct contact with "the UK detectives (London)" [sic]?

WhiteHall 1212 perhaps!!??

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8As noted today it is very common welcome to reality. You are rightfully upset but after better to spend time getting the problem fix instead of blaming others who might not feel your pain.

I had it happen in 2007, I took the family to U.S. and use my card at a major store that is how my number got out, they were hacked but they arent going to announce to the world they were.

I return home logged into my bank notice not 400.00 but 5,000 was charge on my card, went to a department store and purchased appliances lastly went to Wendys fast food order 60 bucks of food.

Ask how is that possible I got the card here. Then take the number off blackmarket and make a card one wonders how it happens.

I called the bank explain here in Thailand my second home cant return to fill out police report at time people on the other end not a clue what they are saying just repeat standard reply.

I ended up because I was polite hand wrote an affidated to my situation copy of passport, entry stamp,  I.D. all signed that I didnt make charges and Fax it back. Next day charges were removed.

Good luck. Today there are more security measures in place like phone calls asking for conformation on charges. Be alert we are old but stay and learn how to be connected if access to credit reoprts check that too.

VISA alerted me that my card had been wrongfully used before I even noticed myself. They canceled the card, sent me a new one and refunded the money (around 100 euros). It was used for Uber in Dubai. Credit cards are skimmed all the time and the details are for sale on the dark web. We all know about this, but card companies have fraud detection in place and know how to deal with this. Just relax, no need to get so worked up about this.

3 minutes ago, harryviking said:

Lol! As a rather "paranoid" person when it comes to credit-cards, I have managed without one for over 20 years! I always manages to pay "whatever" through different more safe ways!

Love these sorts of posts...  'managed without one'...  I wonder the extent of inconvenience you have caused yourself by 'going without'... i.e. booking holidays, flights, rental cars, online shopping...  etc etc... 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

VISA alerted me that my card had been wrongfully used before I even noticed myself. They canceled the card, sent me a new one and refunded the money (around 100 euros). It was used for Uber in Dubai. Credit cards are skimmed all the time and the details are for sale on the dark web. We all know about this, but card companies have fraud detection in place and know how to deal with this. Just relax, no need to get so worked up about this.

100% this....    SOP... 

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

Of course it does!🤣🤣🤣🤣 especially the bit about Scotland Yard, are you his sister or mop bucket assistant?😊

No silly, the first part about $400 going missing. Of course he added Scotland yard for impact. Some people aren't too sharp.

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2024 at 12:04 PM, georgegeorgia said:

That's the case yes ...but ....but ..some B used my CC to order themselves home delivery food X 5 times in one night in the UK 

Are Scotland yard not interested, they told me to give THEM names of  the potential offenders and file a report 

The Australian police hung up on me 

The bank seemed she was reading a script 

Now has anyone else had this happen to them ? 

How did they get my cc number?

I had this happen on one occasion where my CC data was used in Europe and America while I was in Thailand. I was alerted by my bank and they had already cancelled the transactions. My experience was with  my CC registered with Grab. Ex employees? Dunno. Doesn't look like professional thieves as the transactions were just low value.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, harryviking said:

Lol! As a rather "paranoid" person when it comes to credit-cards, I have managed without one for over 20 years! I always manages to pay "whatever" through different more safe ways!

As long as it's not on your knees Harry 😋😁

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

Sounds more like your DEBIT card # got hacked rather than your credit card. CC issuer fraud department's are generally super professional in handling claims. Debit card raud claims generally place a higher burden of proof on the customer.

On 6/15/2024 at 7:00 AM, susanlea said:

This is fairly common. You should check your banking website every week if not everyday. Only takes 30 seconds to check recent payments. You can also set up an sms message to authorise online transactions.

And then? It will be to late antway...

The problem are business owners that accepts credit card payments without legitimation.

8 minutes ago, Captor said:

And then? It will be to late antway...

The problem are business owners that accepts credit card payments without legitimation.

Not too late. You can sent up an sms system when a payment gets used. Then you are in complete control.

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

I wonder if people that never had a car are happy they never had one because of the risk of car trouble?

Could be but most people live in a world of delusion. They have no idea about these things. I guess you can be happy living in a fantasy world where very little digital theft occurs. Ahhh Utopia.

• Haha 1