New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand

webfact

55 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Cool! So nobody's going to die then, you promise?

Just need to look at the numbers. Your chances of dying from Omicron are very slim indeed if you have no severe comorbidities.

29 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

It will never die on Aseannow.

We're in for life!

Not even discussed back in UK where I am..non-subject/non-news event now.

Everyone wants to forget basically.

Edited by stats
comment on fellow forum member removed

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except for....

Comorbidities, multimorbidity and COVID-19

"Modeling studies have estimated that 1.7 billion people globally (22% of the population) have at least one comorbidity that is associated with an increased risk of developing severe COVID-19."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02156-9

AND

"A study carried out on 5700 COVID-19 patients from 12 hospitals in the USA found diabetes to be the third most common comorbidity (~34% of patients), compared to hypertension (56%) and obesity (42%)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10456773/

The above citations indicate pretty substantial shares of the population at large having some level of COVID comorbidity risk.

what about studies in Thailand rather than US, we are here after all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And that studies repeatedly have shown than being up-to-date on COVID XBB variant vaccinations reduces people's risk of serious COVID illness vs. those who haven't received the latest vaccine.

Latest COVID-19 vaccines reduce hospitalization risk by around half

"The latest COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk for hospitalization or visits to an ED or urgent care by around 50%, according to interim data published in MMWR.

Overall, VE against COVID-19-associated ME or hospitalization was 51% (95% CI = 47%-54%) in the first 7 to 59 days after receiving an updated vaccine dose and 39% (95% CI = 33%-45%) in the 60 to 119 days after an updated vaccine dose.

Screenshot_5.jpg.6c3b304447a6a4f2758ef7b91eab7c2d.jpg

https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20240301/latest-covid19-vaccines-reduce-hospitalization-risk-by-around-half

or the following from the U.S. CDC:

"Protective tools, like vaccines and treatments, that decrease risk of COVID-19 disease (particularly severe disease) are now widely available. COVID-19 vaccination reduces the risk of symptomatic disease and hospitalization by about 50% compared to people not up to date on vaccination. Over 95% of adults hospitalized in 2023-2024 due to COVID-19 had no record of receiving the latest vaccine."

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html#:~:text=Over 95% of adults hospitalized,of receiving the latest vaccine

and natural immunity is how effective in comparison?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Some here seemingly would have everyone ignore facts and reality like the following:

"The latest MoPH report on new weekly COVID hospitalizations shows them continuing a long upward climb since mid-March. The weekly tallies during that recent period have been:

March 16 -- 501

March 23 -- 630

March 30 -- 728

April 6 -- 774

April 13 -- 849

April 20 -- 1,004

April 27 -- 1,672

May 4 -- 1,792

May 11 -- 1,880

May 18 - 1,882

May 25 -- 1,801

June 1 -- 1,863

June 8 -- 2,762

June 15 -- 2,881"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1326140-hospitalizations-climb-in-thailands-spring-2024-covid-surge/?do=findComment&comment=18995834

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

and after 14 days how many recovered and left hospital perfectly fine?

• Thanks 2

Thailand has had weekly new COVID hospitalizations increase five-fold over the past three months to 2,881 last week, and serious condition hospitalizations for COVID right now are at their highest level in a year...

and yet, Thailand's official weekly COVID deaths reported have mostly remained in the single digits for most of that time. And the MoPH has in the past indicated it was going to take a narrow approach to what it would consider official COVID deaths.

Meanwhile, the UK, with roughly the same size population in Thailand, is regularly reporting 100+ COVID deaths per week where COVID is listed as a cause on the death certificates...  Interesting distinction between COVID deaths in those two countries and how they're reported.

UKHSA data dashboard

Screenshot_8.jpg.2044823aee109ba3b41467fa9cf19692.jpg

https://ukhsa-dashboard.data.gov.uk/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You've got a lot you're trying to forget. And in my opinion, the millions who lost their lives because of COVID deserve to be remembered, not forgotten, and lessons learned.

we are all forgotten as time moves on. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have not had a vaccine for a couple of years and I got sick with it (confirmed test) 12 days ago.  Stayed in my head/body aches never got into my chest.  But, may have been the worst headache I can remember no amount of Tylenol would kill the pain. So, the body aches were like a bad Flu.  The headache was like nothing I had every experienced before I thought I had a brain tumor.  Feeling much better now, but everyday I get a similar headache feeling it just comes on suddenly it goes away after about one hour.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Just need to look at the numbers. Your chances of dying from Omicron are very slim indeed if you have no severe comorbidities.

I know several young and healthy people who suffered severely after contracting covid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

A post has been removed for making an unsourced and unsubstantiated claim, and for citing a news report that was subsequently contradicted by the source in the report.

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:
4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I know several young and healthy people who suffered severely after contracting covid.

its a good thing the post you replied to was talking about deaths. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, zakalwe said:

Plus some people are disgusting and will cough or sneeze right into your face. Apparently it is common in Europe.

well it has become  common nowadays  due to the ever increasing number of guests, of course

4 hours ago, Roo Island said:

How many do you know of that have died and those who had it bad when was this? 

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

well it has become  common nowadays  due to the ever increasing number of guests, of course

I think it is more of a cultural thing. Americans are taught the vampire cough -- cough into your elbow to prevent the spread of germs. Europeans don't really cover up. If they do cover up they will cough into their hands and then touch everything.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You've got a lot you're trying to forget. And in my opinion, the millions who lost their lives because of COVID deserve to be remembered, not forgotten, and lessons learned.

This subreddit remembers people who have died of covid. Early in its history it used to publish the actual names of people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

Following this subreddit for years made covid and its repercussions seem very real to me.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, zakalwe said:

Following this subreddit for years made covid and its repercussions seem very real to me.

Yes, it's clever how the internet can be used to do that.

A lot of people believed in the beginning but as time went on and the smoke cleared most outside of the bubble distanced themselves asap - it's an embarrassment and source of shame for many now afaict.

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

30 million.

This number includes both confirmed Covid deaths and *undiagnosed* ones

So they just guesstimated the 30m number you keep repeating 👍 

A post contravening community standards has been removed.

Rule 10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:47 AM, Robert Tyrrell said:

Wheres Booster Vaccines Thailand !!!!!! ??? Been trying to locate a Booster covid vaccine for the last 3 months  !!! Anyone have any info ??

Obviously, for public health, boosters should be available for free. I'm told they now cost.

I'd call the Red Cross vaccination unit.

1 minute ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Obviously, for public health, boosters should be available for free. I'm told they now cost.

I'd call the Red Cross vaccination unit.

The Thai Red Cross vaccination clinic in BKK -- formally known as the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute -- does indeed offer the updated XBB COVID vaccines for a fee, along with several other clinics or hospitals around BKK, at last check:

Contact and other details below:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I doubt anyone was laughing at you being sick.

You stated that you have been vaccinated five times against an illness, and then that you caught said illness and suffered from it severely nonetheless. Then you added a further message stating your intention to have a sixth shot for good measure.

Nothing personal, but this approach is so utterly absurd – as are the rationalisations on the purported effectiveness of this vaccine – that it is likely to elicit laughter.

Vaccines produce antibodies that fight pathogens that have invaded your body. Depending on the which specific pathogen is involved, the illness may either remain sub-clinical (no visible symptoms) or progress in a weakened state while the antibodies rid it from the patient's body. Due to the antibodies being already present when the pathogen enters the body, the illness isn't allowed to get as severe as it would if the patient needed to wait for the body to begin producing its own antibodies.

To say it's absurd that someone would trust a vaccine after becoming ill with a virus shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines, and antibodies work. They kill pathogens that enter the body. They do not form an invisible shield around you to prevent the illness from ever happening.*

*Antibodies do kill some viruses before they show symptoms. Measles for example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1