Engaging with Russians during wartime in Thailand?

In Pattaya anyway, there are Russians everywhere.

Sometimes I find myself in close quarters with Russians that I am curious about.

I'm generally not curious about those that give the appearance of typical going along with the war Z types usually older, big families who are obviously just on holiday from Siberia, etc.

The ones that pique my interest are more military age men sometimes with friends or partners. sometimes looking possibly countercultural. 

I assume most speak some English. 

But how to break the ice?

How's the war treating you somehow seems too abrubt.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

Well here's one guy who's approachable!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have met loads over the years, they come across as being to serious I find thats the older ones from back in the USSR, There is a couple of younger ones live near me when I see them they are always friendly to me, and the women come across as being cold I just tell them You smile they smile, I did learn a few words of Russian, most of the younger ones do speak English, 

I think you would be miserable if you had to live in minus 30 degrees, 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I have met loads over the years, they come across as being to serious I find thats the older ones from back in the USSR, There is a couple of younger ones live near me when I see them they are always friendly to me, and the women come across as being cold I just tell them You smile they smile, I did learn a few words of Russian, most of the younger ones do speak English, 

I think you would be miserable if you had to live in minus 30 degrees, 

That's only in the winter months, as it is in all northern climes. Canada, in Alberta where I went hunting, was -39F one day, and in June another time when fishing there it was just after ice out. Russia gets many days in the 60's and up to the 80's. It was miserable to me in the winter in New Jersey when it was only around freezing for a couple months, but people are used to it living there. Many people do move south, as I did to Texas, because I liked the outdoors and in the winter in New Jersey, there wasn't much to do besides ski and ice fish. I did enjoy the 4 seasons, which Thailand doesn't have, and is yet another reason I'll move back home.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

sometimes looking possibly countercultural. 

What on earth do you mean by this weird phrase?

What do I have to do while walking around Pattaya to avoid looking "counter-cultural"?

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, bob smith said:

send the buggars back!

bob.

A lot of people feel that way. Other than baseline Russian clannishness while abroad, they realize that too and may be understandably shy of such hostile people here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, bob smith said:

and rightly so!

bob.

Is your hostility towards them based on feeling protective of Thai immigration or because you support genocidal fascist dictator Putin's war of choice on Ukraine?

• Confused 1

Just now, bob smith said:

My hostility towards them on a personal level is based on how they behave in Thailand.

They are loud, brash, have no regard for others and their kids act like complete brats who destroy everything.

They are also very wasteful people, same as the Chinese.

And of course, on a geopolitical level, I hate the fact that they have invaded a sovereign nation and now their prestigious leader is on North Korea with his best buddy Kim..

So yeah, I don't have anything positive to say really about the vodka swilling ruskies!

bob.

I thought you were specifically hostile to the Russian draft dodgers. I misunderstood you before. 

Well good luck with that because Thailand loves them (Russians in general) and especially their money.

17 minutes ago, bob smith said:

They are loud, brash, have no regard for others and their kids act like complete brats who destroy everything.

Too similar for comfort?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1