Engaging with Russians during wartime in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, proton said:

three months is nothing, how do they manage to be here for years?

keep boing border crossings or perhaps they've set up companies.

i was here for 3 years doing that, until i decided to stay permanently and set it all up.

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Some years ago I had the misfortune to have to work in Russia for an extended period. It was a big project with Unilever and UK government involvement (me).  I did an intensive course in Russian so can speak it to a conversational level (its not an easy language). 

I met some amazing Russians and worked with one guy who is probably the most intelligent and talent person I've ever met.

However I have to say that the overwhelming majority of Russians that I met were deeply unpleasant. There are very few social graces in Russia. It remains a brutal society where 'might is right'. Road rage and aggressive driving is off the scale. If you can understand some Russian its bizarre to hear old ladies in the street swearing and using incredibly vulgar language. Every neighbourhood and apartment block has its own thugs and 'mini mafia' who mug, rob and extort money.  Its generally accepted that anyone with significant wealth came by it illegally.  Its a deeply unpleasant place to be.

Do not imagine that Russians in Thailand don't support Putin and the war. Putin enjoys very strong support and most Russians are very patriotic. Generally the more affluent younger Russians, of the sort who are coming to Thailand, are not being sent to the front line. Putin is not stupid - the footsoldiers are drawn from poorer areas in the east. I've spoken to some older Russians who live in Jomtien and they were all very pro-Putin.  I also had a chat with three young Russian guys who were drinking at Bali Hai. They were happy to be outside Russia but pro-war.

Some of you may have seen the guy who rides around on a motorbike with a Russian flag attached, blasting out military songs...

At last some real comments. This is true, most support Putin, only reason he is still alive. The people are used to being aggressive including the women.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

At last some real comments. This is true, most support Putin, only reason he is still alive. The people are used to being aggressive including the women.

Of course they support him, like LMAO, people under a rock are the only ones that still don't get this. There is no war in Russia, there is a war in the west, among their own people, which only weakens them further and further, to end in a economic disaster while BRICS will say; we told you so, to then take the lead in the world, after WW3.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well here's one guy who's approachable!

Sanctioned Ivan (YouTube name) is not your typical Russian. He grew up and went to school in Ireland before moving back to Russia where his work got hit by money transfer sanctions. I first picked up his story at a U.S. car dealer channel where he talked about his dreams of moving to the U.S.

His YouTube channel carries on the Russia, Turkey Thailand venture.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I assume most speak some English. 

But how to break the ice?

How's the war treating you somehow seems too abrubt.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

I couldn't give a sxxt about them.  They can all get shipped back to the front line for me, the sooner the better. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Of course they support him, like LMAO, people under a rock are the only ones that still don't get this. There is no war in Russia, there is a war in the west, among their own people, which only weakens them further and further, to end in a economic disaster while BRICS will say; we told you so, to then take the lead in the world, after WW3.

You are badly misinformed.  The West's armament industry is doing brilliantly.  The West's military are heavily committed in a proxy war, which is degrading Russia and its friends while testing new weapon systems, and gathering vital intelligence.  Believe me when I say that NATO is in no rush to see this war end. With no war, Ukraine is the bread basket of major countries and could be rich, that's when it gets to pay back all the loans it has been given, probably for the next 100 years.  Its money in the bank for the Western powers. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, proton said:

three months is nothing, how do they manage to be here for years?

Over 50 ? I know one with a Ukrainian wife neither over 50, they have been here 9+ years, they have land and house, big 'green house' growing dope, visible from the road, now moved that and no dope plants. Maybe a business/work visa with no Thais in sight, but helped by a Thai resort owner. Must have a lot of money IMO. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You are badly misinformed.  The West's armament industry is doing brilliantly.  The West's military are heavily committed in a proxy war, which is degrading Russia and its friends while testing new weapon systems, and gathering vital intelligence.  Believe me when I say that NATO is in no rush to see this war end. With no war, Ukraine is the bread basket of major countries and could be rich, that's when it gets to pay back all the loans it has been given, probably for the next 100 years.  Its money in the bank for the Western powers. 

The US has extreme levels of debt and a political system that is nearly broken by two old guys and their supporters.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Maybe she didn't feel anything. If there's not much there then she wouldn't feel much.

Joined April 12.. almost 1000 posts..

Do you keep saying the same thing like you are doing in this thread?

And if you really are female (not likely), thank the gods I'm not married to you..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Who marries desperate old guys? We all know that.

You're busted Boris!

FYI.. I'm prime marriage material in Thailand 😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbin said:

You're busted Boris!

FYI.. I'm prime marriage material in Thailand 😄

Prime material is old and nearly gone. Woman only has 3 years to wait.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Prime material is old and nearly gone. Woman only has 3 years to wait.

Rude and aggressive.. Russian for sure 😘

I think AN needs to do some housecleaning..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bobbin said:

Rude and aggressive.. Russian for sure 😘

Not Russian, don't like Russians, rarely meet them.

We all know what Thailand is really like. Don't need fake stories.