Been having really bizarre dreams lately..

As a veteran of 6 overnight sleep studies, 2 surgeries to clear obstructions, several attempts with CPAP over decades as the technology promised newer and better results,  and a myriad of pharmaceutical trials, I'd suggest not going down the same rabbit hole I did.  It's expensive, and I still have sleep problems. 

When I was working 10-12 hours a day in Thailand, I just slept the rest of the time and on weekends.  Kinda sucked, but the lifestyle change is the only one that made a difference.  (Other than taking the oath back in 1988 and going to the meetings for 35+ years, but I'm sure that's not gonna happen for most of the guys posting here.  Getting rid of the booze removed a lot of variables, though that's not why I took the oath).

Edited by impulse

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm wondering where that 5.5 rule of thumb comes from?

My handy dandy HP emulator says 0.5^5.5 leaves 2.209% of the substance in your body.  In another hour, it'll be 1.1%, which seems about the same, from a practical standpoint.

I'm guessing there's a source for that 5.5 number, but can you clue me in?

Ok.  To make it easy, 1) lets  say half life is 10 hrs. So after 10 hrs 50% of active ingredient is still hanging around. 2) next 10 hrs, half of 50%=25% still hanging around, 3) next 10 hrs half of 25%=12,5% still active, 4)next 10 hrs half of 12,5%=6,25% , 5) next 10 hrs half of 6,25%=3,125%, 6) next 10 hrs you have half of 3,125%=1,5625%,  etc

.  All I know is that doctors multiply the half life with 5,5 to know that the active substance is out of the system. You can actually google this.

So this actually means that a drug with a half life of 10 hrs is cleared in about 55hrs.

unfortunately, I am too weary of this.  In May last year was taking a drug called Cordarone for a sudden heart flutter.  Well this drug has a half life of between 80-145 days!  I quit it in July last year.  However drugs have side effects, one such in my case was sky high thyroid problems and insomnia. Never in my life had insomnia before.  I still suffer from insomnia quite often - and as I still have about 19% of the active ingredient of the drug floating around, I guess I’ll only be OK towards the end of this year. BTW, have not had a heart flutter since. The thyroid has calmed down and almost back to normal.  Beware of drugs! 

1 hour ago, Globalres said:

You’re wrong about how half life works.  If half life  (50%) is 5 hours, the next 5 hours is half of half life, so 25%, next 5 hours you have 12,5% left of active ingredient, next 5 hrs you have 6.25% ingredient left in your blood stream.  
Easiest way to work out when you are totally clear from active substance is to multiply half life by 5.5.

Interesting, not what the first google searches came up with, but they've been wrong before

Hmm, well, I too would like to know the source of the 5.5.  My trusty Excel spreadsheet agrees with Mr Impluse.  I can't find anywhere that gives an overall satisfactory minimum number of half lives to reach a level when anything no longer has an effect.  It all depends on the thing that the half life refers to.

Half life Total Hours   % left
Total 0   100.00000000
½ 2.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 70.71067812
1.00 5.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 50.00000000
7.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 35.35533906
2.00 10.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 25.00000000
12.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 17.67766953
3.00 15.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 12.50000000
17.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 8.83883476
4.00 20.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 6.25000000
22.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 4.41941738
5.00 25.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 3.12500000
27.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 2.20970869
6.00 30.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 1.56250000
32.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 1.10485435
7.00 35.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 0.78125000

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

last few nights my dreams have been, let's say, strange..

I would have strange dreams taking malaria tablets when working in Angola.

Very strange dreams, blood and guts and if I remember one dream that had your old neighbor in it. 😂

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, JayClay said:

Probably not a serious thread but just in case anybody who does open this thread for serious debate, I used to have horrific sleeping problems and dreams/night terrorrs.

I used to drink a lot of coke zero and sice I stopped, the frequency of such activity has reduced from several times a night/week, to once or twice a month or even less sometimes.

My best guess is that it's the caffine that was aggravating the issue*, so if you drink a lot of coffee or soda, particularly after mid day, try cutting that down.

*Yes it could be a reaction to another ingredient, which is why I used the word "guess".

Have you thought that perhaps you have some sort of PTSD from your childhood ?

Maybe the teacher shouted at you when you were in preschool and all that trauma is coming back to you 

You poor baby 

• Sad 1

Probably not a serious thread but just in case anybody who does open this thread for serious debate, I used to have horrific sleeping problems and dreams/night terrorrs.

I used to drink a lot of coke zero and sice I stopped, the frequency of such activity has reduced from several times a night/week, to once or twice a month or even less sometimes.

My best guess is that it's the caffine that was aggravating the issue*, so if you drink a lot of coffee or soda, particularly after mid day, try cutting that down.

*Yes it could be a reaction to another ingredient, which is why I used the word "guess".

Maybe the teacher shouted at you when you were in preschool and all that trauma is coming back to you 

You poor baby 

33 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I would have strange dreams taking malaria tablets when working in Angola.

When my brother worked in Angola, his oil company had quarterly drills to get to the marina and onto the boat so they could get over the horizon, because none of the factions had a navy.  From there, they were well supplied to float around out of sight until they could be rescued by the USN.

That would give me nightmares, even without the pills.

1 hour ago, DiDiChok said:

Hmm, well, I too would like to know the source of the 5.5.  My trusty Excel spreadsheet agrees with Mr Impluse.  I can't find anywhere that gives an overall satisfactory minimum number of half lives to reach a level when anything no longer has an effect.  It all depends on the thing that the half life refers to.

Half life Total Hours   % left
Total 0   100.00000000
½ 2.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 70.71067812
1.00 5.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 50.00000000
7.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 35.35533906
2.00 10.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 25.00000000
12.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 17.67766953
3.00 15.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 12.50000000
17.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 8.83883476
4.00 20.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 6.25000000
22.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 4.41941738
5.00 25.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 3.12500000
27.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 2.20970869
6.00 30.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 1.56250000
32.50 ÷ SQRT(2) = 1.10485435
7.00 35.00 ÷ SQRT(2) = 0.78125000

Well, if you google “how many half lives to eliminate a drug” you will find the answer many times.  Most of the answers is between 4-5 half lives to eliminate significant traces of drugs.  Anything thereafter is insignificant and basically unmeasurable even if minute traces may be found. I stand my my simple multiplication, and doctors have not corrected me - so far.

The original nicotine patches were magic for producing the most bizzare memorable dreams I have ever experienced. Later editions of such patches advised removing at night which fixed that problem they say. I continued smoking more than ever !

My frustration with  most dreams is remembering having them but not the enthralling content I know I enjoyed( or not ) at the time !

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

not sure about that..

tossing, turning, waking up in middle of the night and very disturbing dreams.

hopefully next week will be better, but I do plan on having a bottle of red over the weekend.

bob.

'm sure tonight you'll be dreaming you're posting on Aseannow with no responses. 

16 hours ago, novacova said:

Since you’re off the sauce you’re probably getting better sleep, rem. Alcohol consumption deprives rem and a good nights sleep.

Wrong I have a few glasses of wine at night I sleep like a baby.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, novacova said:

Sounds like you’re having dt’s. Maybe permanently lay off sauce will help. 

No, DTs are a lot more than weird dreams.

Hallucinations when awake, for starters. 

Alcohol maybe makes you sleepy, but disrupts depth of sleep?

I started taking a sleep supplement.

Mostly magnesium, but also contains a small dosage of melatonin, GABA, and L-Theanine.

Seems to be working well. 

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Thank you doctor for the 4-time diagnosis. 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

just smoke a big fat one before you go to bed. problem solved. 

No one needs to hear your gay sex life , absolutely disgusting details ,as academics we don't need to read that !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

No one needs to hear your gay sex life , absolutely disgusting details ,as academics we don't need to read that !!!

academics ? what major do you take to be a broom pusher ? 

26 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Aren't joints skinny? A big fat one sounds like something else.

you're the 2nd one to think like that. i for one use 10mm glass tip filters. so the joint needs to be pretty fat to hold the tip inside the wet....

1 hour ago, stoner said:

you're the 2nd one to think like that. i for one use 10mm glass tip filters. so the joint needs to be pretty fat to hold the tip inside the wet....

You just keep smoking the wacky tobacky son.... obviously that's why your intelligence shows on here and your Snail slow writing  ...use paragraphs FFS 

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, stoner said:

Enjoy your fat ones.