Thai PM Defends Changes to Property Rules for Foreign Buyers

webfact

1 minute ago, Mickboy said:

Yes but will they change it back like the cannabis ruling ???+?

Those changes are proposals and that's where they will stay.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wombat said:

99 year leases on farm land will make farm land out of the reach of Thai people.

Quite possibly but overseas investment might also help modernize the Thai agricultural industry and increase yields. The smallholder model is a nice social idea but it’s difficult to manage in the modern and competitive world. How many times do you see various farm produce organisations coming out cap in hand to the government to get subsidies.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

The Pm and Thaksin's Families both own large property companies  selling condos. Just saying!! 

Thanks for letting us know that,

He had no choice but the float this idea.  The neighboring countries have and will allow foreigners(especially those with the money) to have equal access to property ownership.  Of course LOS will never be anything like Singapore( where the only language that matters is $$$) but at least this PM understands LOS mut stay competive. 

Next idea might to offer citizenship or at least PR for any foreinger that invests a large amonut money(at least millions of $$$)  into property ownership. For instance Jeju S. Korea has program that a who foreinger purchases a property with at least a value of $500,000 can be granted 10 Residency that is renewable.  

• Confused 1

I also bought land and built a house for my Thai family - all in my wife's name - investing several million baht in the country.  However, if my wife dies before I do, I will not be allowed to continue living there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1