BYD Oh what a feeling, thrown under the bus.

45 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

So where exactly is the EV battery recycling plant in Thailand?

Or, in the alternative, where are the contractual obligations on EV manufacturers to take their batteries back and recycle them?

Could not have said it better myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

This discussion is about BYD  - see the title. As I previously posted BYD's LFP batteries aren't toxic (see the link I posted)

My replies  to you all have links supporting my assertions - you on the other hand are flying "Link-Free"

You seem unaware what the L in LFP stands for. 

Have you ever seen what Lithium mining looks like? 

It is pretty much the poster child for environmental destruction and reduced life expectancy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

It is pretty much the poster child for environmental destruction and reduced life expectancy.

It's also prescribed for mood disorders, maybe someone is missing their meds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, In the jungle said:

So where exactly is the EV battery recycling plant in Thailand?

If you knew anything about EVs in Thailand you would know that EVs didn’t get sold in any volume here until 2019. BYDs come with an 8 year 70% battery warranty.

IMG_4473.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, In the jungle said:

You are confusing Lithium with Cobalt, a common misconception among EV haters.

Cobalt is not used in BYD batteries but it is used the refinery process for diesel and gasoline. 

IMG_4471.thumb.jpeg.a240272b8625db38483d9d69930b990a.jpeg

The biggest exporter of Lithium is Australia 

IMG_4470.jpeg.460b1d1ae5f73c293cbda6454aa3f018.jpeg

followed by Chile

IMG_4472.jpeg.896867366efb3b27a6afb028b89659c1.jpeg

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you knew anything about EVs in Thailand you would know that EVs didn’t get sold in a volume here until 2019. BYDs come with an 8 year 70% battery warranty.

IMG_4473.jpeg

So the authorities or BYD will wait until 2027 to build a battery recycling plant? What happens to the warranty failures?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So the authorities or BYD will wait until 2027 to build a battery recycling plant? What happens to the warranty failures?

Probably disassembled and repaired with a new blade replacing the faulty one.  They are too valuable to throw away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Probably disassembled and repaired with a new blade replacing the faulty one.  They are too valuable to throw away.

Where does the faulty blade go?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, proton said:

Do not support the CCP economy any more than you have to. We all know the vast amounts of produce, parts of phones and cars etc from there, but we don't have to buy their cheap inferior cars as well.

I prefer supporting an economy that spreads peace and goodwill around the world and helps developing nations grow and prosper as opposed to ones bombing them.

Apparently, the CCP economy also produces a lot of solar panels and electric batteries which are apparently good for the climate. I read that somewhere but one never knows what to believe nowadays.

• Agree 1

n

22 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You mean you couldn’t have said it more wrong yourself 

Indeed. Tell me what is wrong with asking what contractual obligations BYD have to take back EV batteries at the end of their service life.

I have worked in 5 different industries over 45 years. They all had one thing in common, their breaches of environmental obligations, to the point some crossed the line into criminality. Several even had the regulatory authorities colluding with them.

If you believe a Chinese car manufacturer or offshoot battery recycling operation is going to be squeaky clean with 100% compliance, there's a bridge in Sydney Harbor I'd like to sell you.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BYD likely ship faulty/dead batteries back to their recyling facilty in China.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

BYD likely ship faulty/dead batteries back to their recyling facilty in China.

Yeah right, we all know what environmental warriors the Chinese are, given they are building 95% of new coal-fired generators.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Yeah right, we all know what environmental warriors the Chinese are, given they are building 95% of new coal-fired generators.

There would be value in the batteries for BYD to recycle.

Nothing to do with the enviroment.

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

There would be value in the batteries for BYD to recycle.

Nothing to do with the enviroment.

Disagree.

Any idiot can make a profit if they can get away with flushing unwanted materials in recycling down the sewer, or sending to landfill.

It's when the recycling becomes a closed loop, with zero emissions, that the costs of recovery soar.

99% of the lead in lead - acid batteries is recycled. What do you think they do with the spent acid? That's a far less complex system than lithium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You are confusing Lithium with Cobalt, a common misconception among EV haters.

Cobalt is not used in BYD batteries but it is used the refinery process for diesel and gasoline. 

Why is it that ideologues always brand those disagreeing or questioning their beliefs, to be 'haters'. 

Wait on - now I remember - because they are woke and they will 'cancel' any other opinion.

I dont hate EVs - but I will not be buying one anytime soon - and if/when I get one it will be a Tesla.  What I do dislike is self-serving virtue-signalers who drive EVs to 'save the planet', and who ridicule and abuse others who disagree with their delusional reasoning.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Disagree.

Any idiot can make a profit if they can get away with flushing unwanted materials in recycling down the sewer, or sending to landfill.

It's when the recycling becomes a closed loop, with zero emissions, that the costs of recovery soar.

99% of the lead in lead - acid batteries is recycled. What do you think they do with the spent acid? That's a far less complex system than lithium.

More unsubstatiated waffle and going off on an unrelated (lead acid) tangent.

I agree to disagree, now move along champ.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Where does the faulty blade go?

A lone faulty blade battery cell has recycling potential but getting it out of a pack and replacing with new would be quite a challenge.

Blade cells are sandwiched together welded to shared BMS boards and cross links then bonded to cooling plates.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

More unsubstatiated waffle and going off on an unrelated (lead acid) tangent.

I agree to disagree, now move along champ.

45 years in industry, I never saw one that was not generating emissions, effluent or solid waste.

When you find one, let me know.

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:24 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Since Toyota and their recall of 1.9M cars over battery problems (risk of fire).

These were 12v batteries on RAV 4s due to not being held in place properly. Nothing to do with Lithium batteries. 

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2024 at 2:27 PM, Photoguy21 said:

Since when has battery failure been a characteristic of any car?

On 6/28/2024 at 3:24 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Since Toyota and their recall of 1.9M cars over battery problems (risk of fire).

31 minutes ago, retarius said:

These were 12v batteries on RAV 4s due to not being held in place properly. Nothing to do with Lithium batteries. 

Nobody said they were.  Always quote in context.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Hi Grumpy  - did you see any posts in this discussion that could be described as virtue-signaling?

Did anybody mention anything about saving the planet?

If so please point them out.

Did you watch my video that I posted above. Did I saying anything in the video about saving the planet or look at me I’m so virtuous? 😇

As an EV owner I spend a great deal of time fact-checking the stupid things that people say about EVs.

In this discussion I’ve had to explain the difference between Cobalt and Lithium mining; the battery chemistry used in BYDs and why they are not toxic; Why a country that has only just started selling EVs doesn’t have EV battery recycling factories.

When people say stupid things they tend to get ridiculed. I stick to discussions that I actually know something about, I wish others would do the same.

I use the phrase ‘EV haters” because they spend so much of their time on EV discussions spreading lies and falsehoods. EV owners don’t hang out on diesel truck discussions because they have better things to do with their time.

Like many have said - most EV supporters are like religious fanatics - full of emotional nonsense and feelings - as per your response.

Example - You are obviously an ICE Hater !!  Have you heard someone who dislikes EVs say that? No ! Why? (try thinking about it).

Point - It is not about you - I am responding to your words 'EV Haters'. You (and others) use words like that as an emotional descriptor targeted to personally criticise those who views you do not agree with and/or those that do not support your own views. 

ICE Supporters (we are not EV Haters) - we have listened to the debates on both sides and we have formed another view than what the EV Fanatics have.

EV Owners - not only do they not 'hang out' on diesel truck discussions, they dont 'partake' of any other views. That is because they have decided and made the ultimate commitment of buying an EV, and they refuse to accept that maybe that was not a rational decision. Anything that contradicts their decision and commitment is attacked with emotional argument and criticism. That is because most people that bought an EV made an emotional decision, and there is nothing wrong with that - what is wrong is trying to justify it as a rational decision and that anything criticising EVs is a criticism of their decision to buy/commit to EVs.  No it is not - and much of it is valid. 

Your time is no more important than mine or anyone else's - if you have better things to do then go and do them, and stop emotionally making demeaning statements towards others who dont support your decision to commit to EVs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

45 years in industry, I never saw one that was not generating emissions, effluent or solid waste.

When you find one, let me know.

45yrs in the lithium battery industry.

The room suddenly fills with the stench of bullsh!t.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

most EV supporters are like religious fanatics - full of emotional nonsense and feelings

You are completely failed to provide any evidence to support that supposition. 

Looking at this discussion you will see that EV owners are fact fanatics faced with all the negative nonsense that is thrown at EVs.

48 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

ICE Supporters (we are not EV Haters) - we have listened to the debates on both sides and we have formed another view than what the EV Fanatics have.

You failed again. All EV owners have also been ICE owners we have lived with both and know the strength and weaknesses of both. ICE supporters are completely ignorant about EVs. All they know is second hand views reinforcing their prejudices.

53 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

most people that bought an EV made an emotional decision,

I have given up noisy, slow, smelly transportation for the future. My EVs  are practically free to own, I charge them from excess solar power after my house is powered. I have 8 years of free servicing, almost zero road tax. Oh don’t forget the sub 4 seconds 0-100km

Those are rational practical reasons.

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

stop emotionally making demeaning statements towards others

If people stop making stupid, factual inaccurate statements about EVs they will find my replies less demeaning 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

45yrs in the lithium battery industry.

The room suddenly fills with the stench of bullsh!t.

I never said I was 45 years in the lithium battery industry. I said industry, period.

I suggest you brush up on your reading and comprehension skills.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I never said I was 45 years in the lithium battery industry. I said industry, period.

I suggest you brush up on your reading and comprehension skills.

ohh ok... yeah 35yrs industry here..... you win !

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

ohh ok... yeah 35yrs industry here..... you win !

JHC, you really must bruise yourself jumping to conclusions. My 45 years experience was in Australia, in diverse fields such as detergents, polymers, glass, mining and steel.

I did work here in Thailand as a technical consultant for some weeks, it was one of the experiences influencing my decision to retire here.