Negative Stereotypes About Thai Women in Relationships with Foreigners

Alpha84

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

She cook great international food, even Quiches 😋 

I also met thai woman who cooked borsch hungarian style and very authentic liver spread. 

few years later she bet her husband's BMW735 and lost it in some silly card game. 

I think she still cooks )))

• Haha 2

If one looks on Facebook one will find these Thai women who have a great following telling everyone how horrible their farang husbands are. Romantic love is said to have started in the Middle Ages when a class of people no longer needed to plow the fields. If you get a Thai girlfriend from the rural areas they have been brought up thinking more practically when it comes to relationships. If he has money and can take care of her and her family, they can look passed the looks and bad smell.

Here is a good read for anyone thinking about getting involved with ANY woman.

https://markmanson.net/history-of-romance

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

If one looks on Facebook one will find these Thai women who have a great following telling everyone how horrible their farang husbands are. Romantic love is said to have started in the Middle Ages when a class of people no longer needed to plow the fields. If you get a Thai girlfriend from the rural areas they have been brought up thinking more practically when it comes to relationships. If he has money and can take care of her and her family, they can look passed the looks and bad smell.

Here is a good read for anyone thinking about getting involved with ANY woman.

https://markmanson.net/history-of-romance

you do not think mutual respect and love for each can happen between man and woman? 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I certainly didn't say that. It is just that I believe that Thai women think more like women did in the west hundreds of years ago. As I heard one man explain the difference in love in Western and Eastern marriage. "It is like the difference in how we make tea. You bring the water to a boil and then add the tea, We add the tea and then bring it to a boil"

thats what makes a marriage work, mutual needs met, and if you at the same time learn to enjoy each other and be greatful for you manage to create and do together. 

• Like 1

The 2 main stereotypes that Thai's have of foreigners with Thai spouses is that they are much younger than the man and they were prostitutes.

I was shopping at the local Makro with my wife one time and I heard a couple of women talking, "Oh, his wife is so old."  Like it surprised them.  She is a little older than I am.

But for some reason most people that meet my wife think she was a professor.  I guess because of how she dresses.  She was actually a banker.

Then I have a nephew that when he was a young boy always wanted to walk around holding my hand.  I kept wondering how many people seeing us walking together thought I was a sexual deviant.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't till a while back I really noticed all my neighbors are in mixed race relationships. Thai/Laos, Thai/Korean, Malaysian/American, Thai/Canadian.

All appearing happy, regular, everyday folks. Kids birthday parties, Xmas parties, pool parties, bbq's etc. but probably just my small area of the world. I am sure most of the other Thai neighborhoods are full of crazy weirdos and western hating Thai males. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, RSD1 said:

What's a normal relationship? But here is the issue in Thailand. Only about 25% of the Thai population has a higher education, so a lot of them are lacking in intellectuality. Then the Thai working class males (majority of the Thai male population) also have a reputation for being womanizers, gamblers, drunks, etc. Do you think Thai women married to those types of men are generally happy?

From where did you source these statistics?

Or isn't this the perception of some foreigners? (especially here at AN)

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SenorTashi said:

I've been travelling all over Asia for 35 years and I have a lot of old friends here who've told me every story under the sun.

Two years ago I finally met a country girl who I really trusted in Chiang Rai. After a long and very sweet courtship, her dad started pressuring us to get married. As soon as I agreed, her and her whole family became obsessed with draining my bank account. After a few months of that, I walked away. Since then I've got no interest in Thai women at all because now I've seen closeup how dishonest they can be. 

I have a female friend in France who worked with women in Singapore for years. She once told me that without fail, every single woman in Asia is only interested in our money and if you believe anything else, you're a fool.

Well said.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well lets get real about the stereotypes, and not just in Thailand but in the West.

We have lived in South Dakota as out primary residence for the past 6 years

We have a bunch of friends, white guys, asian women wives.

We're all mid 50-60's, (including wives) been married for years, all got kids, long grown up, every one of them a professional woman in some field or other.

But even now you'll meet someone and get chatting and whenever it comes out my wife is Thai the inevitable questions start to come.

Where did you meet, what did she do? 

My wife grew up as a teenager in Chicago and sounds a midwest as they come

Funnily our friends with Japanese wives, same general profile but have a Japanese accent and never get the same questions we get

Thailand has 'marketed' itself as a sleaze pot and many of us regular folk pay the price of the Thai image of a 20 something with a 60 something slopping around the mall with a couple of rugruts, or worse still the bargirl scene, or a ladyboy hotspot.

There is an alternative, but it's hard to sometimes overcome the stereotypes, which do have some basis in fact!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alpha84 said:

Local media doesn't help though with its added amount of sensationalized stories often reinforcing these stereotypes.

And then you thought that AN will be the place to get the accurate information? A place full with stereotype expats.

You actually have to try a little bit harder to make it look like you ask a serious question.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

The stereotypes are mostly true, relationships with Thai people regarding farangs are almost exclusively transactional.. you are kidding yourself as a farang if you think this isn’t the case 

A girl's got to get something out of the relationship. If you're a decrepit, unsmiling, humorless, bald, pot bellied , diabetic, flatulent alcoholic with anger management issues and a tiny weenie, her taking a transactional approach should scarcely come as a great surprise.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rct99q said:

noticed all my neighbors are in mixed race relationships. Thai/Laos, Thai/Korean, Malaysian/American, Thai/Canadian.

All appearing happy, regular, everyday folks.

Sounds like you live in a somewhat wealthy community.

2 hours ago, rct99q said:

most of the other Thai neighborhoods are full of crazy weirdos and western hating Thai males. 

That describes the neighbourhood I live in, which is probably more than 99% Thai

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Happily married to my beautiful Thai wife since 1990. She is now 68 to my 82 years of age.

Her interests are similar to mine, as is her humour. She's a great cook, and a skilled driver.  

You tell me I'm either stupid or blind, or both.

I don't think so.

Or maybe you were just kidding ?

Thank you, I'm really happy for you. Same here, have a great life with my wife, as you might already read in another post. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1