Tragic turn: Burmese father accidently runs over baby daughter

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you do ever run over a baby or Child, it will be YOUR fault , no one else's 

On that... if I'm driving down the highway... and a child runs out - whose fault is it ? the drivers or the parents ?

In the drive way, reversing out...   we have a reversing camera etc - but I do not check under the car or behind the wheels etc...   

I think it is unrealistic to expect every driver to check under their car, immediately behind their wheels etc every time they get in a car and drive - on this point I think you have lost your grasp on reality.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why can't you check under your car for babies before you drive out ?

There really is no excuse . 

Only being lazy or inconsiderate or just nor caring at all .

*What will be will be *

Probably the same reason I don't check the condition of my tyres every time I get in my car, same reason I don't check my tyre pressures weekly etc...   

It may be laziness or inconsideration - but then that would be to levy the same accusation of every driver who also does not check under our the car before driving off... 

... The most accurate reason would be complacency....  we all become complacent when carrying out every day tasks...     

The vast majority of people just get in their car and drive away with caution, they do not take these extra steps (to check under the car) that you suggest...    Yet you have stated you would... 

... but you don't drive and have no idea what checks you would make every time you get in a car...  this is the fallacy of your argument - its based on something you imagine, not experience. 

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On that... if I'm driving down the highway... and a child runs out - whose fault is it ? the drivers or the parents ?

Stop moving the goalposts , that situation isn't being discussed or the topic

I think its the thin end of the same wedge...     who is responsible, when, and what can be a genuine accident vs parental negligence... 

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it is unrealistic to expect every driver to check under their car, immediately behind their wheels etc every time they get in a car and drive - on this point I think you have lost your grasp on reality.

The family in question had  a baby, babies crawl about , the guy really should make sure that the baby hadn't crawled under the car when departing the house .

Only stupid irresponsible inconsiderate   drivers would drive out without checking first 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Only stupid irresponsible inconsiderate   drivers would drive out without checking first 

pretty much all drivers are like this though. we can point out exceptions but the norm is people don't check. 

• Agree 1

... but you don't drive and have no idea what checks you would make every time you get in a car...  this is the fallacy of your argument - its based on something you imagine, not experience.

I do though, if my baby is in a house are a car is about to drive away , I make sure that the baby isn't around the car

The family in question had  a baby, babies crawl about , the guy really should make sure that the baby hadn't crawled under the car when departing the house .

A tragic accident... a mistake, a miss communication, an assumption mum had the baby... 

Again, your point is one of significant sanctimony.

Then you are arguing that the vast majority of road users (and parents) - are stupid inconsiderate drivers as you'll be hard pushed to find anyone, or any parent who gets in their car and checks underneath it, or immediately behind the wheels etc... 

Perhaps we all should - but with that your suggestion lies with in the realm of being completely unrealistic. 

Anyway we are going around in circles now... 

....its been an interesting debate and yes I agree we perhaps should all be a lot lot more careful to avoid tragic mistakes... but we also need to judge others with a element of realism, not the degree of sanctimonious judgement you have presented here. 

I do though, if my baby is in a house are a car is about to drive away , I make sure that the baby isn't around the car

Of course you do... (did)...  100% of the time...       

....You never saw the infant with your wife 5 or 10 mins before hand and thus assumed they were still with your wife before the car moved off...   

Hmm....   you've doubled down on this BS too much now... 

Then you are arguing that the vast majority of road users (and parents) - are stupid inconsiderate drivers as you'll be hard pushed to find anyone, or any parent who gets in their car and checks underneath it, or immediately behind the wheels etc... 

Really ?

I thought that everyone did that . 

I did think that it was normal to check on the whereabouts of your baby before driving out your driveway .

I f you cannot be bothered to bend down and look, you just have to ask the mum whether she has the baby or not .

There really is no excuse 

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... but we also need to judge others with a element of realism, not the degree of sanctimonious judgement you have presented here. 

Its not being sanctimonious at all . 

Its my opinion that Parents should make sure that they don't run their car over their Children on their own drive way .

IMO, they should make sure that it doesn't happen , IYO they should just hope that it doesn't happen 

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its not being sanctimonious at all . 

Its my opinion that Parents should make sure that they don't run their car over their Children on their own drive way .

IMO, they should make sure that it doesn't happen , IYO they should just hope that it doesn't happen 

Wrong..  my opinion is that I understand how this 'can' happen... and I can do so without the sanctimonious judgement.

You have applied an over simplified perspective of a situation, of course, parents should make sure they don't run over their children.

But you have applied a 'perfect world' ideology where no one ever miscommunicates, makes an assumption or a mistake.

Why do you think its law in some countries (such as Australia) to put a fence around their swimming pool ?... Its because infants, toddlers, children drown in them when they are momentarily un-supervised - i.e. in situations whereby one parent thinks the other is watching them etc...

Its a tragic facet of life and this story that an assumption has been made with tragic consequences.

Its very easy with hindsight to suggest 'should have / could have'...  but that is rich - People are fallible and you seem to have commented from this perfect world ideology which makes you somewhat of a hypocrite IMO as with certainty, as a parent you will have made mistakes and dodged a bullet through nothing other than blind luck, the same as most parents... (if they are being honest with themselves).

Edited by richard_smith237

34 minutes ago, theblether said:

Incredible comments on this thread. 

I genuinely believe Thailand is overrun by sanctimonious sociopaths. Horrible, horrible people.

Me ?

I think that Parents should take care of their kids and not kill them by running them over in cars ?

I have sympathies for the baby , not the Parents .

Why didn't he make sure that the baby was by the car ?

People need to take responsibility  for their actions .

Rather than doing that , they just shout at other people and call them names 

3 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I don't see a single article about a child in the west being run over in the driveway.

ChatGPT response below shows this is a global issue

Prompt: How many children are accidentally run over in their driveway by their parents each year world wide ?

Accidental driveway runovers, also known as "backover" incidents, where children are run over by vehicles in driveways, are a significant safety concern. While precise global statistics are challenging to obtain, some estimates and data from specific countries can provide insight into the magnitude of the problem.

1. United States: According to data from KidsAndCars.org, a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and deaths of children in and around motor vehicles, there are approximately 50 backover incidents involving children each week in the U.S. This equates to around 2,600 incidents annually. Many of these incidents result in injuries, and about 50 to 60 of them result in fatalities each year.

2. Australia: Data from the Australian government and safety organizations like Kidsafe Australia suggest that around 7 children are killed each year and 60 are seriously injured in driveway runovers.

3. New Zealand: Information from Safekids Aotearoa indicates that on average, five children are hospitalized each year due to driveway runovers.

4. United Kingdom: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) reports that driveway runovers are a significant risk, although specific annual figures are less frequently reported.

Considering these figures from developed nations, it is clear that driveway runovers are a serious issue. However, global statistics are more difficult to ascertain due to variations in reporting practices and the availability of data in different countries. If we were to extrapolate from available data, considering the populations and vehicle use in different regions, it's reasonable to estimate that thousands of children are affected by driveway runovers worldwide each year, with a significant number of fatalities and injuries.

For the most accurate and comprehensive data, more extensive and coordinated global studies would be required.

You can't reason with sociopaths.

We parents have all had heart-stopping moments with our kids. 

I personally know two men who heard the thud when cars killed their kids. Both never recovered, both haunted forever. 

And here we have this guy making a thread about a tragic accident all about him. Give it a rest. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is so horrific...    the poor guy will be broken for the rest of his life.

For those who are going to blame him - consider how many times you reverse out of your driveway without checking under the car or just behind the rear wheels. 

Should the Mum have known where the infant was at all times ? its takes one second for an infant to crawl away as any parent knows.

A truly tragic story.

give me a break... If you have children at that age. They should not be in a place for this to happen. Also, as a parent you should know where your infant is. True it is tragic. The man walked to the SUV.. He should have been looking before he got in it. What is a one year old baby doing in the driveway? Why was noone looking after the child? Irresponsible of the parents for their lack of parental guidance and concern for the whereabouts of their children. Typical though in Asia. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

His wife was washing clothes at the back of the house, while he was driving his black Toyota Fortuner SUV out of the garage. He spotted his three year old son playing in front of the house but did not see his daughter.

Aung Thura thought his daughter was with his wife, so he reversed the car out of the garage. Unfortunately, he heard neighbours shout at him, asking him to stop the vehicle and saying that he had run over his daughter.

Tragic accident that is preventable.

RiP little one.

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He should not have  drove his car without knowing and seeing where the baby was .

He should have checked and then double checked first .

He needs to take the blame, because he was at fault for not checking 

RIP little one

You drove cattle, and drive cars. 

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Well I suggest in future that you and your wife checks under and around you car and that then, one of you watches from outside the car whilst the other reveres/drives the car out the driveway .

I constantly see people in Thailand have no idea what a dangerous situation is and seem to have the mentality of *If I am going to die I will die and there's nothing that I can do about it*

Next time YOU check the safety of your car , otherwise it could be you in the news next time 

Sanctimonious smart arse.😦

23 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its the basic parental duty to take care of their children .

It is something that you SHOULD be doing , not checking is being irresponsible .

Its not me being sanctimonious 

I presume you have children and watched them one hundred per cent during raising them. And never an accident. I would imagine the sun shines out of your arse. The family of the lost child are suffering enough and will forever. They certainly don't need comments from the likes of you.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I presume you have children and watched them one hundred per cent during raising them. And never an accident. I would imagine the sun shines out of your arse. The family of the lost child are suffering enough and will forever. They certainly don't need comments from the likes of you.

Quite probably the guy never previously checked where this Children were before departing in his car . 

Like, this probably wasn't a one off accident , it was probably an accident waiting to happen .

Accidents should try to be prevented from happening , rather than just shrugging your shoulders afterwards and saying it was an accident . It wouldn't be too difficult for the Mother to pick the baby up and hold the  bay when the car is coming or going .

It wouldn't take much effort to make sure that your baby didn't get run over 

• Sad 1