Pulled over with only 2 30 day exempt this year

Come to realize I may have been somewhat blessed in 2009-11. Had 8, 13 & 19 visa exempt entries by air in those years as I lived and worked in Singapore and the Thai wife lived and worked in Bangkok. Only once was there a 'friendly' comment on it by a BKK IO. I matter of factly explained the living/working arrangements and the fact my Thai wife also flew to Singapore approximately once a month as well and got a friendly wave through.

EDIT: Had 16 in 2012 as well.

Edited by BoganInParasite

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Where to find the immigration rule how often per year people can arrive on visa exempt?

Another question why every immigration office can make up their own rules,aren't there

some clear rules and if yes where to find to them?

There's no official limit for visa exempt entries by air, so yes, you can call it "making up their own rules" or "exercising discretion".

• Agree 2

“The good old days” when I also worked in ME on rotation and came in and out 5 or 6 times a year.  Even overstays were no big deal as I just paid the fine at departure.   Around 2010, immigration would didn’t like the large number of ‘visa exempt’ stamps so I started getting a tourist visa before I came.  
I understand getting the you visa isn’t always an option but that was my experience.  

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, bobonzo said:

“The good old days” when I also worked in ME on rotation and came in and out 5 or 6 times a year.  Even overstays were no big deal as I just paid the fine at departure.   Around 2010, immigration would didn’t like the large number of ‘visa exempt’ stamps so I started getting a tourist visa before I came.  
I understand getting the you visa isn’t always an option but that was my experience.  

100% bobonzo. I guess on reflection after a nights sleep the 2 x extensions on the 30 day exempt this year was the reason. If I hadn’t have done these and left within the 30 days then most probably nothing would have been said. 
Hoping no problem with getting the METV before next trip. That should hopefully see out this remainder calendar year. 
Perhaps next time I need to extend the 30 days exempt I might do border run instead.

1 hour ago, john donson said:

extend 60 days of visiting child, with every extension

Yeah I see what you are getting and I could do this but realistically all I need is literally a few days on top of the 30 days exempt. I would guess something would still have been said as I didn’t enter on a proper visa and would still have extended the 30 days regardless if it was tourism or for child but who knows…thanks for reply

9 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Thanks Jack. Yes 2 x land borders so will try and do 1 x METV and 2 x 30 day exempt a year with land border extensions 

Might be wrong on this ....

I get the impression that if they see from passport that someone has option visa wise over using visa exempt entries they can make things difficult.

One example I recall is a roster worker (month on month off) was using visa exempt via air.

He at one point had used multi entry marriage.

Was scolded re "too many visa exempt". Joining dots thinking io wanted him to use the ME Visa.

In my first few years here I was traveling often to Saigon.

I would obtain (in those days) triple entry tourist visa for Thailand at Thai consulate.

Eventually the io at Saigon Thai consulate said "you live Thailand and over 50. No more tourist visa next time get retirement visa" 

I then went to Vientiane to obtain non O retirement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Perhaps next time I need to extend the 30 days exempt I might do border run instead.

Chances are that airport immigration will like seeing a same-day land border bounce even less than a 30-day extension when they get to see your passport again. They dislike those "OUT-INs" with a passion, be careful. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Chances are that airport immigration will like seeing a same-day land border bounce even less than a 30-day extension when they get to see your passport again. They dislike those "OUT-INs" with a passion, be careful. 

You could be right Caldera. Perhaps it’s best to keep 2 x Land borders in back pocket for a rainy day incase of worst case scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Immigration rules in Thailand are guidelines. Officers make decisions based on their perception of individual cases.

The only rule for denying entry is lack of funds. Other are just guidelines, however when refused to entry what they can officially stamp on passport is only the "lack of funds", even though one can prove to have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was my issue in the past...  back in 2007 I saw more complaints of people with frequent visa-exempt entries getting questioned... At the time I was getting back to 6 month tourist visas (on my bi-annual visits to the UK, but they stopped those - the only option for me was to get the Elite Visa. 

For someone 'rotating' on a 28x28 (days)...  this is a tricky one.

Question: 

1) Is it possible to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa while in Thailand on visa exempt ? (I'm not sure it is).

2) Could you apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in your country of work... (apply online then stop off and get the visa affixed in your passport)

3) Is it possible to get a Re-entry Permit when holding a 60 day Non-Immigrant O Visa (based on Marriage / or parent of a Thai child) ????

4) Could you fly to a neighbouring country (i.e. Vientiane) and apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa  ? 

5) Can a Re-entry permit be issued when holding a Immigrant O Visa (i.e. within the 60 days), or can the re-entry permit only be issued on an extension of stay (thus making the above questions moot).

Thoughts here are: 

If possible, get a Non-Imm O visa (either in the country of work, or neighbouring country while on days off) - work a rotation.. If you can get a re-entry permit, then obtain an extension of stay once back in country.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, Richard3456 said:

100% bobonzo. I guess on reflection after a nights sleep the 2 x extensions on the 30 day exempt this year was the reason. If I hadn’t have done these and left within the 30 days then most probably nothing would have been said. 
Hoping no problem with getting the METV before next trip. That should hopefully see out this remainder calendar year. 

This doesn't make sense as many people are living year round on visa exempts + 30 day extensions. Me personally I've used 3-4 visa exempts + extension per year for last 2 years, staying over 220 days in Thailand each year, without any questions (2 month breaks in between)

Edited by Pattaya57

14 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This doesn't make sense as many people are living year round on visa exempts + 30 day extensions. Me personally I've used 3-4 visa exempts + extension per year for last 2 years, staying over 200 days in Thailand each year, without any questions (2 month breaks in between)

Exactly mate. I was a bit surprised by it all. Never overstayed a day in my life. Always rotational, maximum 33 days at a time with 40 days in between ….who knows maybe I was just unlucky and it was my time.

31 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Maybe as OP has found out the times have changed

Times were changing over 15 years ago... the writing was on the wall back then. 

In my 30's and unmarried - there were few options...  Elite Visa it was... 

The Op is a parent of a Thai national - so he may have the Non-Imm O option if he can find a work-around so he can time it.

You landed at Don Muang didn't you? If not, regardless, it is just super random and play Thai style + continue as usual. I had 2 recent 14 day overstays, just to <deleted> them, they smiled when I paid and left each time, including on my 30 day returns, ever since covid. I don't even take them serious anymore.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was my issue in the past...  back in 2007 I saw more complaints of people with frequent visa-exempt entries getting questioned... At the time I was getting back to 6 month tourist visas (on my bi-annual visits to the UK, but they stopped those - the only option for me was to get the Elite Visa. 

For someone 'rotating' on a 28x28 (days)...  this is a tricky one.

Question: 

1) Is it possible to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa while in Thailand on visa exempt ? (I'm not sure it is).

2) Could you apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in your country of work... (apply online then stop off and get the visa affixed in your passport)

3) Is it possible to get a Re-entry Permit when holding a 60 day Non-Immigrant O Visa (based on Marriage / or parent of a Thai child) ????

4) Could you fly to a neighbouring country (i.e. Vientiane) and apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa  ? 

5) Can a Re-entry permit be issued when holding a Immigrant O Visa (i.e. within the 60 days), or can the re-entry permit only be issued on an extension of stay (thus making the above questions moot).

Thoughts here are: 

If possible, get a Non-Imm O visa (either in the country of work, or neighbouring country while on days off) - work a rotation.. If you can get a re-entry permit, then obtain an extension of stay once back in country.

Hi Richard thanks for reply. Yes, I think perhaps one option is to get Single Entry O and then get a re-entry permit and then try and change it to a multi O at immigration, with Child present. I vaguely remember doing something like this years ago but such was the hassle at the time I reverted to getting a multi O at Penang when they done them and then back to the 30-days exempt after they stopped doing them. Looks like I’ve come full circle again.

Will try for the multi entry TV next time though. I asked the officer would this be ok next time and they said yes….

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You landed at Don Muang didn't you? If not, regardless, it is just super random and play Thai style + continue as usual. I had 2 recent 14 day overstays, just to <deleted> them, they smiled when I paid and left each time, including on my 30 day returns, ever since covid. I don't even take them serious anymore.

Hi mate. No it was Suvarnabhumi. I didn’t realise there were so many people refused entry at the airports daily (see Todd’s post a few days ago in this section about being refused entry and what to do).

To be honest I think it’s just luck of the draw most of the time…unfortunately my luck ran out and was made a note of for next visit 😅

Just now, Richard3456 said:

Hi mate. No it was Suvarnabhumi. I didn’t realise there were so many people refused entry at the airports daily (see Todd’s post a few days ago in this section about being refused entry and what to do).

To be honest I think it’s just luck of the draw most of the time…unfortunately my luck ran out and was made a note of for next visit 😅

Ok yes, Bangkok same same. Was it a lady?

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Ok yes, Bangkok same same. Was it a lady?

Yes, and then I had to chat to their supervisor for 5 mins….there was a massive queue waiting in line that weren’t too happy….

To be fair they were kind and courteous with it all….I didn’t want to argue about it  only having used 2 x exempts and not overstaying. 
chances are I could come back on another 30 day exempt and argue my case with someone else and it might be ok….but that’s a chance not willing to take

5 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Yes, and then I had to chat to their supervisor for 5 mins….there was a massive queue waiting in line that weren’t too happy….

To be fair they were kind and courteous with it all….I didn’t want to argue about it  only having used 2 x exempts and not overstaying. 
chances are I could come back on another 30 day exempt and argue my case with someone else and it might be ok….but that’s a chance not willing to take

It's always a lady, and it's always in Bangkok.... Just forget about it, I know, it's hard, but do, and do same as you did. She likely never had a proper guy ever, in her life anyway.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

25 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

Hi Richard thanks for reply. Yes, I think perhaps one option is to get Single Entry O and then get a re-entry permit and then try and change it to a multi O at immigration, with Child present. I vaguely remember doing something like this years ago but such was the hassle at the time I reverted to getting a multi O at Penang when they done them and then back to the 30-days exempt after they stopped doing them. Looks like I’ve come full circle again.

Will try for the multi entry TV next time though. I asked the officer would this be ok next time and they said yes….

Thats good then - it looks like you have a solution to prevent recurrance. 

As you have been flagged and its possible there are notes in the system (no idea about that), its not going to be a good next rotation with this hanging over your head for the whole month.

Thus: Nipping out of country (Penang / Vientane), applying online and getting a Multiple Entry Non-Imm O (based on being a parent) getting the visa affixed at the consulate / embassy, then returning and exiting with a re-entry permit... then obtaining an extension of stay when you next return to Thailand seems to be a possible solution.

July is low season for tourism, so there is more time to stop people and question them. Most people dont go to Thailand during this time of year for tourism either, so it might raise some flags for the IO.