Electricity cost for computer running over night?

JeffersLos

I like playing a farming game on poki.

The longer it is open online the more money you get to harvest and gets seeds. 

Leaving the computer on overnight with the monitor plugged out would work well for this.

What is the approximate cost of leaving a computer running with a farming game webpage open, but the computer monitor plugged out be, for around 10 hours overnight? The electrical payrate is direct to the government. The last bill inc all taxes etc divided by the number of units used equals 4.68 baht per unit. I don't think there are off peak and on peak rates.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Take a reading one night without the computer on and then take a reading the next day with the computer on and see what the difference is 

Bundled in with the different aircon and fan usage from different family members in different rooms....... 

Silly idea. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with @OneMoreFarang. It really depends on the power of the computer, namely processing power needed and graphics card (if that is used in the farming game) regardless of whether monitor is on or not. I'm currently in the UK and just moved to a new flat. Got a "smart meter" installed. Really useful to see what appliances use most power. Laptops and chargers hardly use any.  

• Like 2

Look for a label on the back of your computer - I'm assuming a desktop - and it should state the rated maximum power consumption in Watts. Multiply by ten (hours) and divide by 1,000 to find Kilowatt Hours (i.e. units) maximum consumption.

My laptop does not have this info, but the mains adaptor is rated at 150W output, so 1.5 units for ten hours - maximum.

Peanuts!

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I like playing a farming game on poki.

The longer it is open online the more money you get to harvest and gets seeds. 

Leaving the computer on overnight with the monitor plugged out would work well for this.

What is the approximate cost of leaving a computer running with a farming game webpage open, but the computer monitor plugged out be, for around 10 hours overnight? The electrical payrate is direct to the government. The last bill inc all taxes etc divided by the number of units used equals 4.68 baht per unit. I don't think there are off peak and on peak rates.

Thanks.

not sure why you did this topic as I had a similar Topic running two days ago.  

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

There are loads of plug-in energy meters on Lazada, plug into the wall, plug your computer into it, read power.

Many also will measure kWh over time, so just run it overnight.

Once you have the energy usage multiply by the average price per kWh (calculate it from your last bill) and you will know the answer.

One of many on Lazada: - 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lcd-wattmeter-220v-110v-ac-power-meter-us-eu-plug-power-i5166193555-s21876177224.html

image.png.ff5ec25854ea3f2399fef0e55e9085bd.png

Not sure if it makes much difference, maybe just signage, but I bought one ages ago from Lazada and on closer looking it was rated at 60 Hz, not 50 or 60 but 60.

If buying check that it's 50 Hz. (I bought mine to adjust the frequency of my genset, so the rating was important.)

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

There are loads of plug-in energy meters on Lazada, plug into the wall, plug your computer into it, read power.

Once you have the energy usage multiply by the average price per kWh (calculate it from your last bill) and you will know the answer.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lcd-wattmeter-220v-110v-ac-power-meter-us-eu-plug-power-i5166193555-s21876177224.html

That looks good. I don't suppose there's any such one that also does aircons? As they're direct into the mains and not plugged in. 

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

That looks good. I don't suppose there's any such one that also does aircons? As they're direct into the mains and not plugged in. 

It's a bit more complex as you have to get at the wiring, but one of these would do the trick, get the one with the split CT for ease of use.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kws-ac300-digital-6-in-1-color-screen-power-meter-home-power-meter-ac-220v-i4513109664-s18310047779.html

image.png.df1110a0e0bf3b2310ef2083a8277478.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

image.png.f9c268e6a3bb5dc9d8e33f0355656feb.png

Are these adaptors included with the product?

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

image.png.f9c268e6a3bb5dc9d8e33f0355656feb.png

Are these adaptors included with the product?

Nah, that's just a blanket image, you can choose US plug/outlet or EU (Shuko) plug/outlet.

Evidently the same unit is available with Aussie and UK plugs too, just not from that seller.

• Thanks 1

A typical household PC has a power adapter of no more than 400 W. Can you check what you have?

So theoretical worst case 12 hours at 0.4 kW is 4.8 kWh.

Average price like 5.4 Baht/kWh results im 26 Baht.

Practically it should be much less like 50%?

If you hear the fans loud on high speed you are closer to the theoretical limit.

It's running on Windows?

If so start task manager and see what the average CPU load is.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

It's all got to do with what the computer is doing over night. If it merely has to have the game open and nothing major is going on then it wouldn't be much. Are you running an SSD or regular hard drive? If it's a hard drive and the game continually uses it then it will cost more.

Some bios's allow you to set whether you can run at a lower clock speed when not needing lots of processing power. You can likely let it run at the most efficient mode rather than the highest performance setting. Turn off overclocking if it's on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's a bit more complex as you have to get at the wiring, but one of these would do the trick, get the one with the split CT for ease of use.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kws-ac300-digital-6-in-1-color-screen-power-meter-home-power-meter-ac-220v-i4513109664-s18310047779.html

image.png.df1110a0e0bf3b2310ef2083a8277478.png

I have a few of these. They give nice information. It looks good, and they are accurate enough. But..... From the eight I have in use, Three stopped working already (Within 1 year, the display remains black)

• Like 1