Criticism Grows Over Alcohol Sales on Religious Holidays at Airports

Is this proposed repeal meant to apply to King Power Duty-Free? Or just the 7/11 (and restaurants/airline lounges) at airports?

For Duty-Free, that's only available to departing international passengers, so they won't be consuming alcohol in Thailand on a holy day.

Now do "election-days".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Stop-Drink Network Thailand voiced strong objections

So the anti alcohol brigade are upset.

They are not relevant in this discussion.

They want to stop all alcohol sales.

The holidays are religious holidays.

What do the religious folk say?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Is this proposed repeal meant to apply to King Power Duty-Free? Or just the 7/11 (and restaurants/airline lounges) at airports?

For Duty-Free, that's only available to departing international passengers, so they won't be consuming alcohol in Thailand on a holy day.

Now do "election-days".

You can buy 'duty free' coming into Thailand.  They have stores just before the customs gates when you leave the 'secure' area. 

Although most items are cheaper downtown and the last time I went through there were no staff at any of the customs counters. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Duty free sells booze 24/7/365 already, and lounges also never stop pouring (though some have their own policies on when and what to serve). I assume this is about the 7-11 and other landside outlets, but I thought those were already exempt from selling restrictions - or perhaps their exemption doesn't include religious days? I have no idea. 

In any case, this guy's objections are pretty bizarre. People waiting to board airplanes aren't driving, and can drink once they're on board anyway. And the railroad alcohol restriction has never made sense - the poor girl was murdered by a homicidal railway employee, not a drunk passenger.

And by the way, a single hardcore anti-alcohol campaigner does not constitute "growing criticism".

• Agree 1

Please meet the new Minister of Stone Age Affairs, an offspring from the Neaderthal breed called Teera Watcharapranee. 

I consider Burma/Myanmar much more Buddhist than Thailand; you also find followers of Buddhism in Laos and elsewhere; the only country banning booze is ......... Thailand. It serves to ooze power by the semi-divine superior government and nothing else. Needless to say that drinks as usual are being served at remote border post between Thailand and Laos or Cambodia; on querying it the Thai officers unisono said that the booze came from their neighbours on the other side of the border. 

Excellent news for tourism as well. If luck has it, there are Buddhist holidays and some pre- and main election weekends ahead where the dirty farang cannot get a drink during their holidays. Explain that prehistoric law to them - although some of them will be opting to go elsewhere. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So the anti alcohol brigade are upset.

They are not relevant in this discussion.

They want to stop all alcohol sales.

The holidays are religious holidays.

What do the religious folk say?

I don't think the religious folk say anything. Refraining from alcohol is just a sign of respect, in a country where religion is still an important part of life.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Teera Watcharapranee

Grow up mister . this is 2024 Not the 1900s. 

It doesn't matter if people want to drink Alcohol or Buy Petrol or Drugs they do that if they are allowed or not

They can stock up  with alcohol as much as they want/need when they are allowed to buy it.

Nothing is stopping people from drinking.

• Agree 2

Criticism grows?

From one source that always objects to any change in alcohol sales. Even though it won't change the alcohol abuse statistics as most small Thai shops ignore the "no alcohol" hours anyhow.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Criticism grows?

From one source that always objects to any change in alcohol sales. Even though it won't change the alcohol abuse statistics as most small Thai shops ignore the "no alcohol" hours anyhow.

Agree my local Ma & Pa shop will deliver, min order 3 large Leo, at 60 baht each.  

First time in Kuala Lumpur I was surprised that I could buy beer and other adult beverages 24 hours a day at the local market.  Also, the girl who rang my beer pruchase was wearing a hijab.  It was not a big deal to her. It seems like Malayasia has seen the light that LOS will never see. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

There are no Buddhists rules in the religion that forbid alcohol , that is only the rule of Thailand..

Maybe you need to read up a little bit more about Theravada, it is right there in the Pañca-sila (Five Precepts). It does not get more central to Theravada than this, truly, so you are absolutely mistaken:

Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.

I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to heedlessness.

It is a valid discussion however, if a government should restrict people from breaking the Five precepts out of their own volition.

47 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Maybe you need to read up a little bit more about Theravada, it is right there in the Pañca-sila (Five Precepts). It does not get more central to Theravada than this, truly, so you are absolutely mistaken:

Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.

I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to heedlessness.

It is a valid discussion however, if a government should restrict people from breaking the Five precepts out of their own volition.

Who in Thailand is a real Buddhist??? praying for lottery numbers, gossip, smoking, sound pollutions, coyote dancings....If you are monk this rule counts, but even the monks are not all following the rules in Thailand, how many smoke, gamble and buy lottery??? Or are you from another planet? Asks monks abd they all will say Thailand is not real Buddhists

45 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Who in Thailand is a real Buddhist??? praying for lottery numbers, gossip, smoking, sound pollutions, coyote dancings....If you are monk this rule counts, but even the monks are not all following the rules in Thailand, how many smoke, gamble and buy lottery??? Or are you from another planet? Asks monks abd they all will say Thailand is not real Buddhists

You just summed it up.  Many of the temples (or Wats) are actually tourist destinations. I know some who actually go to a temples to pray for winning lottery numbers. A devoted Buddhist is a rare person. 

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

First time in Kuala Lumpur I was surprised that I could buy beer and other adult beverages 24 hours a day at the local market.  Also, the girl who rang my beer pruchase was wearing a hijab.  It was not a big deal to her. It seems like Malayasia has seen the light that LOS will never see. 

I have also been to Malaysia. A few times to Penang. On my first visit, I was surprised to see that the 7-11s sold beer 24 hours a day. I mean, I knew that Malaysia was not as strict as, say, many other Muslim 

-majority countries on this issue, but I had thought that they probably would have some hour restrictions in alcoholic drink sales. 

By the way, is the sale of alcoholic drinks banned on all trains in Thailand now? And, if yes, what about taking your own beers to a train and drinking them there? By the way, I have quit drinking due to health reasons, but I am against most bans and restrictions. I fully agree with the age restrictions though. 

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

You said, that there is no Buddhist rule that forbids alcohol. But you were flat out wrong. Additionally you are wrong that the Pañca-sila only counts for monks, it is the layman rule for everybody.

Having been caught out showing your painful ignorance, you are then changing the subject.

With how many Thai monks have you specifically discussed this issue and how many of those have specifically told you that "Thailand is not real Buddhists"?

I do not want to call you a liar, but your statements seem quite far out there.

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 3:09 AM, webfact said:

The Stop-Drink Network Thailand

Mr. Teera Watcharapranee, the network's manager,

This man looks like the guy I nearly tripped over coming out the 7eleven this morning, even dressed the same. 

He was sprawled out with an empty bottle of Lao Khao next to him.

image.jpeg.440b49563a16cc01c1afbadc1103aced.jpeg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

The State Railway of Thailand has proposed allowing alcohol sales at train stations and on trains to boost domestic tourism.

This is good news. 

I'd take a journey up country, sit back, drinking a few beers, looking at the beautiful countryside with my gf, then off to the sleeper for some hanky panky. 

How cool 😎

2014 incident where a railway officer, intoxicated, assaulted and killed a young girl

This is more mental health related, not necessarily an alcohol issue. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Criticism Grows Over Alcohol Sales on Religious Holidays at Airports 

criticised the move, spotlighting the five Major Buddhist Holidays affected

Many millions of non Buddhist foreigners commute through airports, alcohol should be allowed. 

I worked offshore Saudi Arabia, I'm not Muslim but was denied a beer after my month of hard work because they don't allow alcohol. 

All the lounges only had Budweiser 0% alcohol, disgusting. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

You said, that there is no Buddhist rule that forbids alcohol. But you were flat out wrong. Additionally you are wrong that the Pañca-sila only counts for monks, it is the layman rule for everybody.

Having been caught out showing your painful ignorance, you are then changing the subject.

With how many Thai monks have you specifically discussed this issue and how many of those have specifically told you that "Thailand is not real Buddhists"?

I do not want to call you a liar, but your statements seem quite far out there.

One of my best friends is an abbot and a  director of a temple school. Or maybe read what the Dalai Lama says about Thai Buddhism... I don't change subjects but I know very well what the rules are in Buddhism as I read a lot about it and when I was in school the director/ abbot and me talked a lot about it.. Maybe you should do the same.. start reading about real Buddhism.. In 10 years I know more than you think..  

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

One of my best friends is an abbot and a  director of a temple school. Or maybe read what the Dalai Lama says about Thai Buddhism... I don't change subjects but I know very well what the rules are in Buddhism as I read a lot about it and when I was in school the director/ abbot and me talked a lot about it.. Maybe you should do the same.. start reading about real Buddhism.. In 10 years I know more than you think..  

Interesting. Your statements seemed quite superficial, but I seem to have misread you. I am sorry to have done so.

However. Which of the many things the Dalai Lama has said about Theravada are you referring to (and why should I care?). What I found he said, in 2012, is the following:

He said that what he thinks of as the Pali tradition, to which Thai Buddhism largely belongs, is the very foundation of all Buddhist traditions. The ethics and discipline described in the Vinaya are the foundation for training both in concentration (shamatha) and insight (vipassana).

Source: https://www.dalailama.com/news/2012/reaching-the-same-goal-from-different-paths-thai-buddhists-in-dialogue-with-his-holiness-the-dalai-lama

Note: "the Pali tradition" = Pañca-sila. You still were simply wrong about the formal rules about alcohol in Theravada. There are actually no other rules for laypeople than the Pañca-sila, so overlooking one in only five seems... to demonstrate that your knowledge about Theravada is smaller than you would want us to believe.

Keeping with this subject, my assumption is, that we are talking about laypeople or non-buddhists passing through airports, so they should be able to follow their own volition and be able to choose not to keep the Pañca-sila at this day? And you might notice that I said, that I think it a valid discussion, if a government should have any power to decide about this very individual moral choice.

You indicated this opinion to be that outlandish, as if I came from another planet. I find that a surprising contrarian discussion stance... in somebody who wants to discuss, instead of forcing his opinion on somebody else.

That a large number of Thai people themselves do follow Theravada as in the Pali canon only superficially is, in my eyes, rather a weak argument. I would wish we could ease into a serious discussion based on Theravada and how it defines Sila (morality), instead of... changing the subject. Somebody with an abbot as friend should have a jolly good time doing so.

Therefore, intentionally, I keep this question open, as I am interested in opinions why this should or should not be. Feel free to do so.

On 7/6/2024 at 6:02 AM, hotchilli said:

It's always about money... it's how the world works.

From what I've seen that's how Buddhism often works as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1