British Tourist Hurt in Pattaya Hit-and-Run Accident

webfact

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Not too many marked crosswalks on the main roads, never mind a side soi like this. Ignored by many drivers anyway.

Those things can lull you into a dangerous and false sense of security!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

That would be made somewhat easier if the article told us exactly where this happened!

Does it matter? As my old mum used to say, "Some people want to know the ins and outs of a magpie's a**e."😉

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see people every day when on my motorbike not looking whilst crossing, Thais and falang, do you see them in Thailand?

Have to think that many will look the wrong way if they do.

(The bikes might well be going the wrong way too!)

Must say I get very nervous around Buakhao/Lengkhee myself on foot.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Does it matter? As my old mum used to say, "Some people want to know the ins and outs of a magpie's a**e."😉

If asking for witnesses it might help. 

Soi Arunothai, the street of dreams. Well nightmares actually.

Too narrow, too many condos, too many 7/11s. Lots of pedestrians. 

No footpaths (not they would be reserved for pedestrians)

The pub across from Nirun Condos. One of the few as yet to fail.

What could go wrong?

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Absolutely! How dare a tourist pedestrian cross the road at night when there are serious high speed motorcyclists just trying to negotiate busy holiday resort roads.

Anyone would think there were speed limits or something!

Definitely the tourists fault - expel him from Thailand and ban him for 10 years. 

Furthermore, he's even making this poor motorcyclist look bad!

No wonder he didn't stop..............

To the unfortunate tourist, hope you recover soon and maybe, enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

A British tourist was having his say,

Insisting he had the right of way.

A bike came in sight,

And gave quite a fright,

Leaving him on the ground in dismay.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

76 years old, early hours of the morning, crossing the road after leaving a bar, experience tells me he wasn't out trying to watch the sunrise. The older you are the easier it is to get drunk on just a few beers, only 2 days in Thailand, so jet lag and the unaccustomed humidity and temperature plus alcohol tells me he probably wasn't sober.

Perhaps he was sober and just wanted to commit suicide and threw himself in front of the motorbike. Well. All the other causes have been covered by the TV sleuths.😉 Get well soon my old China.👍

• Like 1

I see people every day when on my motorbike not looking whilst crossing, Thais and falang, do you see them in Thailand?

Here is the problem with your statement….thailand is known that the pedestrian (reality) does not have the right a way and Thais/westerners know vehicles don’t stop for pedestrians….so tell me again why any sane person would not look and not move quickly crossing the road…people know this is NOT the west where pedestrians are on top of the driving food chain 

you make it sound like Thai drivers comply with the 3-4 seconds of distance in the tailgating rule 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

People often don't look properly when crossing the road

And people often stop if they hit someone, also a speeding M/C rider should not be speeding and looking were they are going. 

• Like 2

So why are you not running them over ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Gandtee said:

Perhaps he was sober and just wanted to commit suicide and threw himself in front of the motorbike. Well. All the other causes have been covered by the TV sleuths.😉 Get well soon my old China.👍

The motorbike rider may also have had a little alcohol himself as well....unless he was returning home at speed from the night shift. Nothing good happens in bars in the early morning hours...or afterwards. On Koh Samui many years ago I was sitting on the beach next to a Swedish family, parents, uncles and aunts all totally pissed from the night before flat out in the sand while their 3 year old daughter was in the sea getting knocked about by the waves. I took her out of the sea and kept her near me playing with her for 3 hours before the grandparents arrived, after I had explained why I was with their grand daughter an almighty row blew up as they laid into the parents who were barely able to conceive of what was going on. I had tried to wake them after seeing the danger their child was in and received abuse before they fell asleep again. The grandparents thanked me and left taking the little girl with them.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

A British tourist was having his say,

Insisting he had the right of way.

A bike came in sight,

And gave quite a fright,

Leaving him on the ground in dismay.

Bad poetry is prohibited in this forum.

There was a Brit guy in here a few centuries ago named Shake-sword or something like that; we ran his a_se out, no one ever heard from him again.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

People often don't look properly when crossing the road

That may be but doesn't change the fact the driver fled the scene knowing he hit someone. 

• Agree 2

People who come from "nanny nations" like USA, Canada, and most of Europe need to develop situational awareness to survive.  This is not unique to Thailand but applies to the majority of nations around the world. You can't rely on "Big Brother" to take care of you. For example, the concept of a designated cross walk where cars will stop for you doesn't exists in many places. You actually have to have your head on a swivel, as opposed to up your butt, to survive. As a former soldier, I have the benefit somewhat well developed situational awareness skills. The lessons I learned decades ago still serve me well. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, loong said:

Once again, nobody knows what happened, yet some are very quick to blame the victim.

They should be ashamed of themselves

Tourists and visitors may not know that pedestrians don't necessarily have the right of way here. The story said he had only been here two days. I often see tourists step out into traffic thinking cars and motorbikes will stop for them...not usually.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Tourists and visitors may not know that pedestrians don't necessarily have the right of way here. The story said he had only been here two days. I often see tourists step out into traffic thinking cars and motorbikes will stop for them...not usually.

I'm not trying to assign blame to either party, but it is my understanding that pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way unless they are in a designated crosswalk. And even then, as others have said above, you must be cautious because many Thai drivers don't respect that.

Before I cross a street in a crosswalk, I look both ways (that's important because many Thai drivers, especially on motorbikes, don't even drive in the correct lane), and if a car or motorbike is coming, I might take one step out onto the crosswalk, but I look them in the eye to see if they are going to yield to me or not before going further.

Before I cross a street without a crosswalk, I look both ways (as before) and then only go if I am certain I can get entirely across the street before any traffic can arrive.

• Agree 1

"The impact was severe enough to knock him to the ground." 

Wow, that must have been some hit! Not surprised that he was "hurt" and also surprised he's still in one piece!

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

I'm big on self-responsibility.

If I cross the road and get smacked by a vehicle, it will be 100% my fault. Doesn't matter if the driver is sober or dead drunk and doing 160klm/h.

Applying this attitude to everything in daily life (from crossing the road, to managing your diet, to not sending your life savings to a Nigerian prince), leads to generally positive outcomes. :coffee1:

"..........it will be 100% my fault."

Are you married to a Thai lady perchance?

2 hours ago, WDSmart said:

The victim may also be at fault if he was not crossing the street in a marked crosswalk.

Crosswalks mean nothing here...ignored by many :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

Crosswalks mean nothing here...ignored by many :whistling:

Ignoring laws and other rules doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to abide by them. It is also your responsibility to do so with caution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1