British yoga teacher stranded in Bangkok airport over passport tear

webfact

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Agree I have had 'connecting' flights before and still had to go around through immigration, India and Bruni. 

It says stops not connecting fly.  My question therefore is whether she was stopping for a few days.  In that case she would be SOL also if she was low on funds it would not work in either country.

Cannot for the life of me get the head around " a small tear of 1cm "'in the passport? I've been into and exited India with a passport that had taken a turn through the washing machine... sheer madness. Q

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My work involves me travelling internationally EVERY month. 

My passport is one of the most important documents I have.

Accidents do happen, for her to mismanage this situation shows her Incompetence. 

I now know why she's self employed, she'd never be on my team in the workplace. 

Wow it's a good thing that being on your team in the workplace is likely one of the last things in the world she wants. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It says stops not connecting fly.  My question therefore is whether she was stopping for a few days.  In that case she would be SOL also if she was low on funds it would not work in either country.

Well Actually I think it did only stop, and it was just carry on baggage we had to take off, some passengers disembarked there, and other new ones  boarded.

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow it's a good thing that being on your team in the workplace is likely one of the last things in the world she wants. 

Why are you antagonizing me? 

Your initial contact, I didn't connect with you, I didn't reply to you. 

Just leave me bloody alone. 

You must understand, people have different opinions, just scroll down, you don't need to annoy others here. 

You do not need to agitate others here on this forum. 

I don't bloody care about your opinion or thoughts. I never comment or reply to  any of your comments if I disagree, I just keep scrolling. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Despite having reportedly extended her visa just days prior, Viscomi was informed at the airport that her visa had expired, rendering her stay illegal."

If such was the case, how did she acquire the emergency travel document?

Her embassy issues travel documents to people who don't have a valid passport. Damage can render one invalid for travel. That's what emergency passports are for. Many of these people are also overstayers. It's not stated how she was able to relate to her Embassy.

If she had extended the visa, there would be evidence of it. Continually stating an untruth to get a favorable outcome only works in America.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Why stupid?

Are you another one of the many in here who prefers verbal diarrhea to a more common sense attitude, do you ever try to think in a more open minded way?

There are many reasons why her PP was torn, an over zealous heavy handed immigration officer or hotel receptionist who we all have to give our PPs to, to register our stay could have torn it but will they tell you, of course not, they just give it back and if you notice it and you comment they will deny doing it, so who is really the stupid one? I don’t think it was her.

I had a credit card badly damaged by a ladyboy receptionist who could not get my card into its machine so it forced the card in and scratched the panel on the back leaving me all but stranded 10,000ks from home with a useless card, luckily I was near the end of my stay and had enough cash to settle my bills, but had I not had this cash I dread to think what may have happened to me given the intransigence of the Thai police who would definitely have sided with the lying ladyboy.

So don’t be so quick to condemn people as stupid when it could so easily have not been her fault.

Think about who of us regularly check our PPs the moment we get it back, and who of us on noticing damage would comment upon it knowing that there is every chance we will be arrested for doing so.

I think you missed a lot or all of this story. Read again.

She's just a stupid girl, not even able to take care of her passport. "Yoga teacher" says it all.

• Agree 1

This post has everything to put AF members into tizzy....

A female, backpacker, British, hippy, smelly Thai island, yoga, useless degree, hairy armpits,  volunteering without work permit, damaged passport, detention, no cash..... with a nice GoFundMe to finish the story.

I'm jealous.

34 minutes ago, killala said:

Cannot for the life of me get the head around " a small tear of 1cm "'in the passport? I've been into and exited India with a passport that had taken a turn through the washing machine... sheer madness. Q

How long ago was that though ?

Things have changed in the last 20 years or so 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How long ago was that though ?

Things have changed in the last 20 years or so 

An old friend once told how he carried his stash taped inside his guitar on the "hippy trail" (Oz to UK via places like Indo, Singapore, India, etc.)

How far do you think he would get this century?

International travel can be extremely tricky, and this can worsen according to your nationality and the country you are travelling in to. Issuance of visas is another story - more complicated than rocket science! It is the sole responsibility of the individual traveller to be extremely careful with ones travel documents and have sufficient money, YES sufficient money. Nothing is in plain black & white. Some or most times the immigration officers can take spot decisions. Have heard of people been refused entry, even with a valid visa.

In this case I noticed the following.
1. The departure country visa has almost expired.
2. Cash in hand inadequate or nil
3. Top it all, a tear in the passport.

Breaking in to tears, and blaming all around for ones own complacence will not improve the current situation or what can happen in the future!

Yes, 100's of people are refused visas by different countries, sometimes even without any apparent fault.

Today, international travel is extremely expensive. If I cant afford it, I stay at home. Will never even dream of travel with an extremely low budget - that's asking for trouble!

She's obviously a bit of a backpacker and travelling about on a budget. Nothing wrong with that.

When I came to Thailand in my late teens, I didn't have the kind of money I do now.

But boy, was I young enough to enjoy it properly back then!

Those adventures I had in Thailand and Cambodia in particular were legendary, and priceless, because any amount of money could not purchase those types of experiences back in the 90's.

• Thanks 1

Why are some people so rude, I have an opinion, I'm free to make a comment within the forum rules. 

I don't need other members here to be nasty or replying with hostility, 

Some people here need to understand other have different opinions. 

Make a sensible, mature reply, no need to be nasty, if you disagree and want to be hostile, please... 

JUST KEEP SCROLLING. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A British yoga teacher was stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport after being barred from boarding her flight home due to a slight tear in her passport.

Sounds like she was also refused boarding because she didn't have an India Visa and she was also on overstay and couldn't pay the overstay fine 

India taking some well-deserved knocks here, but the US also requires a visa even if you are just transiting (unless you are from a country that gets a waiver). 

Look at the state of her passport, when travelling, this is one of the most important items you carry, mine is in passport cover inside a ziplock bag. and stays put away and I carry a small homemade version photocopied with the passport page on one side and visa stamp on the other side, laminated so it's like an ID card. It works well for ID purposes and should an official require to see the real thing, then its not a problem to bring it out. but, that never happened. Her passport looks like it has been on every beach, bar, and bed with her.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

This post has everything to put AF members into tizzy....

A female, backpacker, British, hippy, smelly Thai island, yoga, useless degree, hairy armpits,  volunteering without work permit, damaged passport, detention, no cash..... with a nice GoFundMe to finish the story.

I'm jealous.

deliriously so by the look of things

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chetzee said:

Indian airports and airlines are extremely security conscious .... and not with out good reason .....    As someone who has experienced a hijack at the hands of terrorist I welcome it ..... if the odd yogi waif and stray gets caught up in that then so be it !  

Apparently I'm missing something here. So, maybe you can help me out and explain exactly how a yoga instructor is going to hijack an airliner with her slightly torn passport?

I do not understand since she passed Passport Check from Police Authorities at Suvarnabhumi airport whats the Air India problem if her passport had a slight tear?

Only Police Officers of the airport have the right το forbid board on plane and no oneelse.

Air companies employees are only resonsible if you have on hands your paid tickets plane.

Αre Air Staff also training for Airport Police assignments and ......antiterrorist operations?

AirIndian or "indians"......?

Whats the task of British Embassy -Consultan in Bangkok?

1 minute ago, Paris333 said:

I do not understand since she passed Passport Check from Police Authorities at Suvarnabhumi airport whats the Air India problem if her passport had a slight tear?

Only Police Officers of the airport have the right το forbid board on plane and no oneelse.

Air companies employees are only resonsible if you have on hands your paid tickets plane.

Αre Air Staff also training for Airport Police assignments and ......antiterrorist operations?

AirIndian or "indians"......?

Whats the task of British Embassy -Consultan in Bangkok?

No, the airlines can refuse for a number of reasons and in some cases are liable for flying the person back to Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1