Persistent Chiang Mai gang arrested for bird food scam on tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Hasn't this been going on for years?

Yep. You'd think they would monitor this a LOT more.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Previously, local and Tourist Police had arrested similar scammers but the problem persisted. During the recent operation, three individuals were apprehended.

Edited by brianthainess

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I remember the kids on Pattaya beach with caged Sparrows, pay money to set them free, only to appear later with more. 

Got an old lady who sits at the entrance gates to Phra Pathom Chedi temple, she had caged birds every day for as long as I can remember...

Locals and visiting tourists pay to have them released.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I remember the kids on Pattaya beach with caged Sparrows, pay money to set them free, only to appear later with more. 

I was by one of those outfits in Laos . I heard a pile of birds squawking and when I looked over a wall I saw a cage with a few birds  and a huge pile of bird seed inside , about a dozen birds outside trying to get in to the bird seed were doing all the squawking.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:19 PM, hotchilli said:

Got an old lady who sits at the entrance gates to Phra Pathom Chedi temple, she had caged birds every day for as long as I can remember...

That is because it is a Thai Buddhist tradition (ปล่อยนก)  to release them and make merit. Same with fish & whatnot. See it all over Thailand. 

----------------------------------------

The bird junk at Thaipai gate has nothing to do with making merit. Chinese tourists want pictures of pigeons swirling around, flying, with them in it, at Thapae square. There was a scene in that movie (L. in CM) like this. Now it is a bleeding tourist activity - feed the birds and get pictures of them with you in it.   It is also why they have gotten away with it for so long, 'Chinese tourists think it a part of their CM tourist trip'. So the plod let them. Finally it is getting to be such a pain in the hind in, they are actually, reluctantly, doing something about it. BTW, no mention is made of the specific tourist group funding & fueling this activity, because, well, they are SPECIAL. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 1:19 PM, hotchilli said:

And contribute to the continuing capture of birds.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:46 AM, Dcheech said:

That is because it is a Thai Buddhist tradition (ปล่อยนก)  to release them and make merit. Same with fish & whatnot. See it all over Thailand. 

----------------------------------------

The bird junk at Thaipai gate has nothing to do with making merit. Chinese tourists want pictures of pigeons swirling around, flying, with them in it, at Thapae square. There was a scene in that movie (L. in CM) like this. Now it is a bleeding tourist activity - feed the birds and get pictures of them with you in it.   It is also why they have gotten away with it for so long, 'Chinese tourists think it a part of their CM tourist trip'. So the plod let them. Finally it is getting to be such a pain in the hind in, they are actually, reluctantly, doing something about it. BTW, no mention is made of the specific tourist group funding & fueling this activity, because, well, they are SPECIAL. :thumbsup:

That's not true - many of the 'tourists' are Thais, and it has been there since I started coming 25 years ago. You are correct that it is a misunderstanding of 'making merit' as it adds to the hideous practice of capturing and selling animals - which is very bad karma. However, most Thais have little or no understanding of Buddhist teachings.