Ex-Pats targeted on Sky Train

I guess the MRT must be different from the BTS. I haven't ridden on either for several years now. But I remember when I hit Thai retirement age and went and asked for the senior pass on the BTS. Supplied them with ID, visa, and work permit. No good. Not Thai. Didn't have an idea that I could have used one on the MRT--apparently until last week.

48 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

For what it is worth, you can still get into theme parks, water parks, Disney thingies etc free or reduced rates.

Friend of mine is just into her 60's and she has just found water parks.

Now she drags her husband around Thailand to any that she can find.

I can't afford to travel to the theme parks any longer though.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 4:44 PM, marin said:

I had 3 covid injections all free and provided by the government. 3 different locations in reality.

WEll speaking for myself only of course - I wasn't able to get a vaccine if I wanted it until the US donated for free for all expats, this of course months after within the US all were given free shots.  As for the 2nd and 3rd shot, I had to pay for those.  My daughter got a free shot at school but subsequent were paid for by me.  Yeah I could have gotten free Chinese shots at the beginning but not sure if anyone noticed, but the doctors and nurses even though they had the Chinese shots, took the freebie US vaccines first.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, Tropicalevo said:

she drags her husband around Thailand to any that she can find.

Must visit Disney's Typhoon Lagoon in Orlando, Florida.

Edited by Srikcir
msp

19 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

They showed there true colors straight out the gate. 

Only negative press changed it.

Yeah maybe if I travelled down her to BKK I might have gotten a shot earlier as it took a while to get up to CM.  Eventually got the COVID anyway, only had a slight sore throat for 2 days like our daughter but wife did have to be hospitalized for a week.  Lucky we bought COVID insurance almost for free but saved us money eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

The OP has a point, if we are expected to pay tax then all these price disparitys should be withdrawn. ''No taxation without representation" can't be expected but some leveling up must take place.

Has the OP been paying tax in Thailand, can't see any mention of that in his post.

• Confused 5

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

We pay tax on every purchase we make but at the end of this year we are expected to pay an income tax on money remitted to Thailand, even worse is the consideration that we may be taxed on any earnings made in our home countries.

You pay tax on items that you purchase in every country you visit, yet no country offers confessions for this.

As for 'we are expected to pay an income tax on money remitted to Thailand', has the OP paid tax on any money remitted to Thailand?

I know many ex-pats in Thailand who have not paid tax.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

You pay tax on items that you purchase in every country you visit, yet no country offers confessions for this.

As for 'we are expected to pay an income tax on money remitted to Thailand', has the OP paid tax on any money remitted to Thailand?

I know many ex-pats in Thailand who have not paid tax.

Not yet, you have until March 2025 to pay your tax debt for 2024, do keep up, it's now fact.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2024 at 4:39 PM, DaLa said:

A few years ago a minister in Thailand brought up the subject of dual / gouge pricing for ex-pats. Well that fell on deaf ears.

I’ve been here 12 years and using the MRT for the last 7 of those. I’m 70 and took advantage of the ‘senior’ ticket rate…. until last week.

New rule was pointed out to me at the ticket counter… Thai only.

Emailed MRT and they confirmed this in a reply. Won’t break the bank but I’m starting to think I need to create a rule here that’s in my favour.

Regardless I hope me and the other 5 ex-pats in Nothingtodo-a-bhuri hit their bottom line hard by deserting the service.

You are obviously not a Thai person, so don't you see this as being far more beneficial and superior to the MRT discount for locals?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1