Biden has pulled out of 2024 Presidential election race. What next?

6 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Hawaii, where I live, has the highest cost of living in the country.  Study after study shows many doctors retiring early or are leaving the state because of inadequate reimbursements by both Medicare and private insurers.  Not sure how widespread the problem is.

Yet the repayments are likely among the highest in the world. 

The restrictions on how Social Security is allowed to reinvest its revenues is one major issue for being underfunded. 

You mean that congress spends all the money? 

In conclusion, I agree that we have problems that need to be addressed sooner, rather than latter, but think both programs are worth fixing and saving although it appears the political will is lacking.

And no one can do anything as long as the other side is demonizing them for even thinking about it. Why? Because 100 million people are dependent on it, and they almost all vote. 

Medicare gets 1.45% of virtually every salary in the US, and (I think) $174.70 per month from about half the people on it.

About 18% of the country is on it, or about 60 million people. 

Too many cush government jobs and too many people getting rich off of it to change anything, just print more money. 

5 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

I would like to add that over the years a variety of features were added to basic Social Security with no provision for additional revenues to pay for them.  These were voting buying moves by politicians to get reelected.

The whole thing started as vote buying scheme, with the added advantage that it makes the voters more dependent on the government. 

The medical insurance industry in the US was ruined to get votes, and to promote single payer. 

Why do preexisting conditions need to be covered? 

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The whole thing started as vote buying scheme, with the added advantage that it makes the voters more dependent on the government. 

The medical insurance industry in the US was ruined to get votes, and to promote single payer. 

Why do preexisting conditions need to be covered? 

I think that because some preexisting conditions, if not addressed, could lead to other serious conditions it would eventually cost Medicare more money in the long run.  This is just my take on it.  Whether this is the justification, I don't know.

I think that because some preexisting conditions, if not addressed, could lead to other serious conditions it would eventually cost Medicare more money in the long run.  This is just my take on it.  Whether this is the justification, I don't know.

Medicare covers preexisting conditions, I meant for private insurance for individuals. 

44 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Medicare covers preexisting conditions, I meant for private insurance for individuals. 

The ACA (Obamacare) made it mandatory for most private plans.  I believe it becomes effective 6 months after enrolling.

Edited by Hawaiian

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

The ACA (Obamacare) made it mandatory for most private plans.  I believe it becomes effective 6 months after enrolling.

One of the things Obama (among others) did to ruin the insurance industry in the US. 

If reasonably heathy people could buy reasonably priced insurance, they could not ram socialized medicine down our throats. 

Some baiting troll posts have been removed, please see the following forum rules:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11. You will not troll or stalk other members by misusing forum posts, private messages, reactions, emojis or by any other means.