Kamala Harris Running Mate Update: Jim Clyburn Names Three Governors as Potential VP Picks

Social Media

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

pride is considered one of the seven deadly sins in Christianity and Islam

It leads people to unreasonable conclusions. 

So you must condemn Harris, a strong proud black woman. 

I'm not buying your game. I see right through it.

A non-Jew with the exact same policy positions on the conflict would not be attracting your kind of comment. I can see he would trigger the pro Hamas pro genocide River to the Sea brigade in Chicago but I'm not sure that's a bad thing politically. Harris telling them to bugger off would make her look like a strong leader. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

I mean seriously, if the US elect this idiot woman the first US woman president then it just shows the quality of American women ! Surely there must be more intelligent women in the states than this rambling fool. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not buying your game. I see right through it.

Did you just pull out the race card?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If her pride shaded  her reason I would , and I will. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A non-Jew with the exact same policy positions on the conflict would not be attracting your kind of comment.

what makes you think that? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If her pride shaded  her reason I would , and I will. 

what makes you think that? 

It's obvious.

You made this about the one Jew in the running.

You didn't even look at the conflict positions on others such as Beshear.

You're not fooling anyone and neither are the pro Hamas protesters. 

Your rhetoric about how you hate pride is empty virtue signalling. 

This actually relates to a previous point I made about the "progressive" wing of the democratic party NEEDING to suck it up buttercup if there is to be any chance of beating the maga fascists.

If they can't or won't, it's already over.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

It's obvious.

You made this about the one Jew in the running.

Perhaps to you because your opinion might also be shaded by pride. Not a pejorative,pride causes all of us to abandon reason.

In this instance it made you miss the fact that I was responding to a post about Shapiro, if I would be responding to a post about Beshear then I would respond accordingly. 

29 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Just asking, Would Americans vote for a Jew who might become President in 2028. I didn't think that possible in America?

They would but he wouldn't be coming up until 2032.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps to you because your opinion might also be shaded by pride. Not a pejorative,pride causes all of us to abandon reason.

In this instance it made you miss the fact that I was responding to a post about Shapiro, if I would be responding to a post about Beshear then I would respond accordingly. 

I have a bridge for sale. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png.a73d69fd923b7f1fbc73271c242e6cd7.png

In a significant political development, Representative Jim Clyburn, a prominent figure credited with helping President Joe Biden secure his victory in 2020, has outlined three potential running mates for Vice President Kamala Harris. This comes in the wake of President Biden's unexpected decision to drop out of the 2024 presidential race, ending his re-election bid after a particularly challenging debate raised questions about his ability to compete effectively against Donald Trump.

Following his decision to step down, Biden quickly endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democratic Party's nominee, urging the party to unite behind her. Harris swiftly garnered endorsements from several influential caucuses and political organizations. Additionally, governors who had been considered potential candidates for the top of the ticket also expressed their support for Harris. 

"I've been saying now for several weeks that if for any reason, President Biden were to decide not to run, I thought that Vice President Harris should be our choice and that's who I would be supporting," said Clyburn, a South Carolina Democrat, during an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I do believe that when the American people see her stacked up against Donald Trump and his 2025 project and what he has in store for the American people, she is going to win this race, and she is going to win it with massive support."

Clyburn highlighted three Democratic governors as strong contenders to join Harris on the ticket as her vice-presidential running mate: Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, and North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper. According to Clyburn, these governors represent a "great crop of governors" and are "awesome business people." He stressed that Harris would conduct a thorough vetting process to select her running mate and that he would support her choice, whoever it might be.

Josh Shapiro, currently serving his second year as Pennsylvania's governor, has been identified as a rising star in the Democratic Party. Shapiro secured his governorship by decisively defeating Doug Mastriano, a far-right candidate endorsed by Trump, in the 2022 election. Prior to his governorship, Shapiro served as Pennsylvania's Attorney General and as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Clyburn also noted that West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, who has recently declared himself an independent, suggested that Shapiro should be considered to lead the Democratic ticket. "He likes the governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro," Clyburn said. "I like him too."

Andy Beshear, the Governor of Kentucky, has been another name floated to replace Biden at the top of the ticket. Beshear has successfully navigated the political landscape of a heavily Republican state, winning hard-fought gubernatorial campaigns in 2019 and 2023 against Trump-backed Republicans. As an attorney by trade, Beshear previously served as the state's Attorney General. Despite the GOP-controlled Legislature, he has presided over record-setting economic growth in Kentucky. Clyburn acknowledged his familiarity with Beshear’s legacy, noting, "I've been around for a long time so I remember Beshear's father and I know who he is. I don't know him very well."

Roy Cooper, the Governor of North Carolina, brings extensive political experience with six statewide election victories over two decades. In a state where Republicans typically prevail and control the legislature, Cooper has managed to maintain strong approval ratings, which his administration credits to a booming economy. Clyburn emphasized that having Cooper on the ticket could be strategically advantageous for the Democrats in the upcoming election. "North Carolina brings about 15 electoral votes," Clyburn said. "It will be a very good contest for us if you had Roy Cooper on the tickets."

With these three governors—Shapiro, Beshear, and Cooper—being identified as top contenders, Harris will have to make a strategic choice that not only complements her candidacy but also addresses the broader electoral challenges posed by a potential rematch against Donald Trump.

Credit: Newsweek 2024-07-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Wrong choice. I wonder why Gretchen Whitmer is not mentioned??😳

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Just asking, Would Americans vote for a Jew who might become President in 2028. I didn't think that possible in America?

I think they would. The problem is that Shapiro would enrage the anti-semitic wing of the Democratic party. Otherwise, I think he would be a better candidate at the TOP of the ticket than Kamala. But that wont happen. Also why he probably won't be picked for the VP slot.  

Interesting to see Jim Clyburn playing kingmaker again. Kamala is a result of his deal with Biden in 2020. Is he trying to do the same thing?

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a bridge for sale. 

Let me show you a  witty response. 

" Is that the same bridge you have been trying to sell me all this time?"

That my friend is a good reply. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I mean seriously, if the US elect this idiot woman the first US woman president then it just shows the quality of American women ! Surely there must be more intelligent women in the states than this rambling fool. 

Jee what part of being an attorney becoming a DA then becoming the AG for the state of California (with the 5th largest economy on planet earth)makes her an idiot?perhaps it was getting elected senator that made her stupid?perhaps being the vice president of my country?to be perfectly honest with you she’s not the one looking like an idiot……

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I prefer senator Mark Kelley but perhaps they want him to remain in the senate…..

Agree.

Mark Kelly up agains JD Vance (or wherever he’s calling himself these days) would be a show for the ages.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Whitmer would be a good pick but low chance she would do an all women ticket as that would be a bridge too far for many male voters.

I tend to agree, but at the same time an all-woman ticket (with Whitmer) would generate a lot of excitement and headlines, and Whitmer would deliver Michigan and Wisconsin, allowing Harris to focus on the Black vote in Georgia and North Carolina. Plus, it would be a great foil to the J. D. Vance pick. The white boy incels who seem to make up the bulk of the Republican leadership these days would have a hard time responding, beyond the schoolboy name-calling that is really their only strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

I tend to agree, but at the same time an all-woman ticket (with Whitmer) would generate a lot of excitement and headlines, and Whitmer would deliver Michigan and Wisconsin, allowing Harris to focus on the Black vote in Georgia and North Carolina. Plus, it would be a great foil to the J. D. Vance pick. The white boy incels who seem to make up the bulk of the Republican leadership these days would have a hard time responding, beyond the schoolboy name-calling that is really their only strategy.

Do you actually know what an incel is? Your comment is ridiculous!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Did you just post a troll bait?

I'm standing in solidarity with the guy that called an idiot an idiot.

But if it's a black idiot, a Jewish idiot, or an LGBT idiot, the race card or the anti- Semitic card or the other phobia card comes out, to enforce compliance. Or else...

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Did you just pull out the race card?

Also, of Indian descent because mother's family is from India.  She actually has the double race card if needed. 

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Whoever she picks it will be a better choice than the MAGA-Mini-Me selected by Trump. You need a VP that expands your voters and JD Vance sure doesn't.

Many despise JD but in a way his life and my life are similar:

1. I was  dirt poor and grew up in CA

2. Met my father when I was 8 and he died when I was 16,   Never knew the man

3. Mother had multiiple husbands that I never knew

4. Had to make adult decisions on behalf of my siblings

5. Only option after I barely finishded high school was the Army Recuriter.

6. Army service gave me a chance for college and a better life

7. I have lived in Kentucky and JD is from the Bluegrass state.  I have seen similar towns where he grew up. 

I have read the book and saw the movie Hillbilly Elegy and I can relate to JD Vance. I do not agree with all of positions but I wiill vote for Trump because Vance is on the ticket.  He overcame a lot and acheived success in life. I can't relate to any other POTUS or VPOTUS candidate. 

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Many despise JD but in a way his life and my life are similar:

1. I was  dirt poor and grew up in CA

2. Met my father when I was 8 and he died when I was 16,   Never knew the man

3. Mother had multiiple husbands that I never knew

4. Had to make adult decisions on behalf of my siblings

5. Only option after I barely finishded high school was the Army Recuriter.

6. Army service gave me a chance for college and a better life

7. I have lived in Kentucky and JD is from the Bluegrass state.  I have seen similar towns where he grew up. 

I have read the book and saw the movie Hillbilly Elegy and I can relate to JD Vance. I do not agree with all of positions but I wiill vote for Trump because Vance is on the ticket.  He overcame a lot and acheived success in life. I can't relate to any other POTUS or VPOTUS candidate. 

but did you ask yourself the question whether a person would make a good president just because you can relate ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a constrast in the selection of running mates. Grovelling to Trump and pledging loyalty allow JD Vance to stitch the pick. Kamala Harris has a deep bench and will pick one who align with the party strategy to boost election chances. 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Any democrat on the ticket will support Israel over Hamas terrorists. Jew or not. 

As long as we're talking about avoiding great picks as defense against haters, how about Mayor Pete?

As Vlad Vexler has said, an underdog like Harris with so little time needs to be BOLD (as opposed to being too carefully over defensive) to have a better chance.

Shapiro or Buttigeig would be bold choices.

I used to like Pete until the airlines took the tens of billions of dollars in Covid relief money and started jacking up airfares at unprecedented levels post-covid. I thought he really failed at standing up to the airlines and I kind of lost faith in him at this point.

I like all three of the pics that Clyburn points out, and I think it would be a real mistake for her to select another woman. We don't need a two woman ticket, one woman is enough.