They smashed the gift that I gave. :(

After decades of lending things to Thais I now no longer lend anything. Sometimes I will give and say I don't want it back. Sometimes I say I don't lend things at all.

Makes you feel more comfortable.

10 hours ago, G_Money said:

Any stranger who befriends a child of mine without introducing themselves to me and being VETTED is going to raise the red flag.  

Google John Wayne Gacy.  A clown for the children, Mentor for teens looking for construction jobs,  honorable member of the Jaycee's with his photo taken with President Carter’s wife.

And then about 33 bodies of young men and teenagers buried in the crawl space beneath his home.

It sounds like John Wayne Gacy was vetted and approved of, so your whole argument pretty much falls apart instantly.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe because they didn't want a stranger getting involved with a 10 / 11 year old child.

this is more like the reason possibly ....   I lean toward the older farang buying the 11yr old a gift ....  and for what reason OP ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

If it was his dad, then it could very well be a face thing. He never buys anything for his kid and a farang humiliates him in front of his friends? (This could be how he interpreted it). Mix heavy boozing with it and there you have it.

Making him look poor and a lousy father, in front of friends and family.  Like something out of a depression era novel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I went round to outside the kid's place and the grandmother brought out the smashed acoustic guitar, apparently the men smashed it up because it came from a farang, then left. The boy must be devastated. 

Did anybody else experience similar after giving a gift?

More like this.  The men were drunk, got angry at the kid because drunks get that way, and they smashed his guitar.
Buy him a new one.  I seriously doubt they "smashed it up because it came from a farang."
Or have his teacher keep it and he can practice where he learns. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

If it was his dad, then it could very well be a face thing. He never buys anything for his kid and a farang humiliates him in front of his friends? (This could be how he interpreted it). Mix heavy boozing with it and there you have it.

I'd say there was a 110% chance that alcohol was involved.

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If you guys can't see why an adult might want to do something nice for a probably deprived child who lives in his neighbourhood, that says more about you than about the OP.

unfortunately,  in this day and age you cannot just buddy up with an 11yr old and buy a guitar and whatever,  it doesn't work the way you insinuate that it's a gift to help a poorer kid, and your naive to think otherwise,  there are other more transparent ways to help which don't bring any suspicion.   There are too many conspicuous farang out there. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It sounds like John Wayne Gacy was vetted and approved of, so your whole argument pretty much falls apart instantly.

Wrong !

Not vetted with the teens parents.

For example.  If you tried that same stunt with a child of mine under the same circumstances.

Not only would I smash the guitar.  I would smash it over your head.

Your head would bleed INSTANTLY.

The fact you even stick up for Gacy tells me you’re a sick individual.

Edited by G_Money
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If you guys can't see why an adult might want to do something nice for a probably deprived child who lives in his neighbourhood, that says more about you than about the OP.

How about establishing a relationship with the parents first.

Otherwise you look like a groomer.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

If this is a true story it is very rough on the poor kid.

Cruel.

rough yes ....  but you have to understand Thai's and how they think,  and to be honest ... this could have ended much worse if in the west.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'd be tempted to get another guitar, but maybe see if the teacher can keep it and take it there for the lessons.

Won't work, he needs the guitar all the time, or he will never progress.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

If this is a true story it is very rough on the poor kid.

Cruel.

It's a fictional account of a story with a grain of truth.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

This also happened when I bought my boyfriend a car. 

He smashed it into another car within 3 days. 

Er I mean no offense

But a homosexual man buying a young male child something like that is always going to be perceived as a bit suss.

If you had a wife and kids, or even a girlfriend it probably would have been different.

This brings new light to the story...  I agree with MalcomB's comment above... 

IF the men in the area know of Jeffer's sexual orientation they may very well be expressing a degree of protection... 

... Thats not to accuse Jeffer of grooming, but it could be a fair assumption that the men who smashed up the guitar are considering such a possibility and this is their way of ensuring distance...   If this is the case and the Op were to carry on 'being kind' there could be escalation. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

Doesn't really matter how or why it was smashed.

As others have mentioned,  it may be a loss of face thing from guys in the family. 

The point is, never get too buddy with Thai's and certainly never buy them a gift.  

TIT ... your story speaks volumes about how they act ....

To me, the story speaks more about the way some people, but not all people, act.