High hopes: Anutin’s green light for cannabis bill in Thailand

antin1.webp

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul expressed confidence yesterday that the cannabis control bill will be enacted within the tenure of the current coalition government. Meanwhile, a health advocacy group has pushed for a complete ban on recreational cannabis use.

The Bhumjaithai Party submitted an initial version of the bill to the House last September. The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) has since prepared another draft for former Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew to present alongside the Bhumjaithai draft, according to Anutin.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin reversed a prior government decision on Tuesday, July 23, regarding the reclassification of cannabis as a narcotic drug. Cannabis was decriminalised two years ago.

Asked about the likelihood of the bill gaining enough support from coalition parties, Anutin expressed strong optimism, citing two main reasons.

“I believe in the PM’s commitment and clear order (to push to pass the bill), and now this coalition has up to 314 votes to cast in support of the cannabis control bill, unlike the past coalition, which only had 253 votes to do so (when the bill was voted down.”

PM Srettha instructed the MoPH on May 8 to amend regulations to allow cannabis to be reclassified as a narcotic drug, while still permitting its use strictly for medical and health promotion purposes.

The health advocacy group, leading a public campaign to reclassify cannabis as a narcotic, argued that the Thai premier’s decision to instead push for new regulations would leave loopholes for recreational use. The group presented scientific evidence linking increased cannabis abuse to rising health and mental problems.

In a statement yesterday, the group urged the government to first reclassify cannabis as a narcotic to prevent abuse. They advocated for a subsequent urgent law to permit its use strictly for medical purposes, reported Bangkok Post.

Bangkok

“We believe this proposal is an ideal solution to all existing conflicts among parties with different opinions on the matter.”

The ongoing debate highlights the complexities and differing opinions surrounding cannabis regulation in Thailand.

By Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of Bangkok Post

Bangkok

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-26

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul expressed confidence yesterday that the cannabis control bill will be enacted within the tenure of the current coalition government

Of course it will, they thrashed out a compromise on the green recently.

Thaksin and Anutin came to an agreement, Cannabis is not criminalised and Anutin will continue to support the PTP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Anutin failed to provide a clear policy last time he passed his one and only triumph.

Little chance of things being sorted properly when he keeps on flip flopping, as is his want.

Next decriminalise Yabba?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RethairedJarhead said:
2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

What scientific evidence?

I would like to know who conducted the research.

The same people who were polled last time?

We’d like to know (pun intended)👍

sorry rethaired i dont get the pun, i even checked the meaning of 'pun' to make sure i wasmt senile yet...

pun

noun
  1. a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.
    "the pigs were a squeal (if you'll forgive the pun)"

maybe my bad... but what 2bahy failed to understand, i guess, is that the whole purpose of a blog is to discuss and question things. i dont hold his what seems to be cynical comment against him cos i know he actually is pro weed. seems like all the anti weed folks are pulling made up facts and polls out of their arses... and that is what needs to be questioned.

once again... sorry but i didnt get it ✌️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Adding another vice to an already lawless society with out-of-control corruption, is the worst idea for the country. Work on eliminating/reducing corruption (and the culture that embraces it), start enforcing existing laws and regulations (abolish the RTP and start over again), only then should they talk about relaxing cannabis laws.

Why would anything you added have any relation to if cannabis is legal or not legal?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:
3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Adding another vice

No, this thread is about weed, already either decriminalised or defacto decriminalised in much of the the world seemingly without much problem.

Cannabis is a vice for many. To deny that is rather silly.

Just because a substance is legal doesn't mean it can't be a vice. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2