Do DTV holders need to buy return ticket?

I have a question that I don't think has been answered yet. Do DVT holders need to purchase a return flight ticket? Is this still classified as a tourist visa? So, when you buy your ticket to go to Thailand, is it okay to have a one-way ticket, or does there need to be a return ticket or an onward ticket booked out of the country?

Edited by Bobajob
Typo/clarification

It is not listed as required on the e-visa website.  Nor is accommodation booking.  Both travel booking and accommodation are listed for tourist visa applications.  Not to say that individual embassies wont have their own ideas.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

"DTV Holders STUNNED: New Rule Forces Surprise Expense!"

I'm confused.

Agreed. Made us read it however.......

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Generally, if you hold a visa, you don't need an onward ticket.  DTV is, by definition, a visa.

Agree. Airport check-in can (and do) ask for; sight of return/onward ticket or 'some sort' of visa. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the application form there are conditions re employent, do you have to have employment or does the criteria of having a child resident in Thailand qualify you for a DTV.

I am currently on a Retirement Visa and the benefit of a DTV is I can hold the 500000 baht or equivalent in a U.K. bank account ?

Scenario A: buy cheap $15 onward ticket, or fully refundable ticket to KL, and tell officer you're staying for a month or two, to play it safe & simple.

Scenario B: don't buy any return ticket and tell officer you're staying long time, but then be ready to answer questions if they ask where you're staying, etc...

Remember that Immigration (those guys who let you enter the country) are completely different department from MFA (who are selling the visas), and this is Thailand, so I'd go with plan A.

One thing is sure that check-in staff at the airport will not ask anything when they see 5 years visa validity, all good.

32 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Looking at the application form there are conditions re employent, do you have to have employment or does the criteria of having a child resident in Thailand qualify you for a DTV.

I am currently on a Retirement Visa and the benefit of a DTV is I can hold the 500000 baht or equivalent in a U.K. bank account ?

Having a child Thai resident does not qualify you for DTV.

For DTV, you'll have to either: 1) Be employed in (or own) a foreign company, 2) Prove some sort of 'freelance work' portfolio or whatever that is), 3) Book Thai cooking classes (lol), 4) Have medical appointment (nobody tried this one, yet), 5) Attend some music festival or concert (noone knows how this one works yet).

Non-Thai spouses and kids of a DTV holder can get their own DTV visas.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree. Airport check-in can (and do) ask for; sight of return/onward ticket or 'some sort' of visa. 

I was asked that question at the gate, in Addis Ababa, enroute to Thailand on Ethiopian Airlines, from the U.S. of A.  Do you have a visa for Thailand.   I started to say no, then the other gate keeper said, Americans don't need visa.    

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I started to say no, then the other gate keeper said, Americans don't need visa.    

The "other gate keeper" is wrong.

True USA pp holders can enter Thailand visa exempt along with MANY other countries. 

Airline issuing boarding pass can insist upon onward flight 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The "other gate keeper" is wrong.

True USA pp holders can enter Thailand visa exempt along with MANY other countries. 

Airline issuing boarding pass can insist upon onward flight 

He was looking for a visa stamp in my passport.   Like the visa stamps Ethiopians need. 

Edited by radiochaser

18 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

He was looking for a visa stamp in my passport.   Like the visa stamps Ethiopians need. 

What! 

You presented a USA pp.

You are entitled to visa exempt entry. 

This thread is about DTV 

48 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

But you're here now right?  Somebody got a bit over cautious in AA, but in the end nothing happened.  And as mentioned nothing to do with the requirements to obtain a DTV.

On 7/29/2024 at 11:15 AM, TheAppletons said:

Generally, if you hold a visa, you don't need an onward ticket.  DTV is, by definition, a visa.

Rubbish.

I travelled on a ME O visa and was denied boarding Malasia Air last November.

I had a return ticket 160 days later and as it was beyond the 90 permission to stay, had to buy a throw away ticket at check-in.