Shameless Buriram school insists janitor pays 25,000 baht pickup bill

webfact

buriram-a-2-1.webp

A shameless school in Buriram has driven a school janitor into poverty after insisting he pays for repairs to the old school bus he drives. The unnamed school insists he pays a 25,000 baht repair bill despite being on a modest monthly salary of 10,000 baht.

Kritsana Pitakkoet has been employed as a janitor at a local school for more than a decade. In addition to his janitorial duties, the 51 year old man was tasked with driving the school’s 37 year old Toyota Hero vehicle to transport students. Recently, this ageing vehicle broke down, and the school sent it for repairs, which cost 25,000 baht.

Upon completion of the repairs, the school principal decided that Kritsana, being the driver, should bear the full cost of the repairs. With a monthly salary of 10,000 baht, Kritsana faced an initial deduction of 9,000 baht from his paycheck. This left him with only 1,000 baht for the month, prompting him to voice his concerns.

“I have been working as a janitor here for about 10 years, earning a monthly salary of 10,000 baht. Recently, the principal assigned me to drive the students using the school’s old pickup truck, which is now 37 years old and has several issues, especially with the engine.”

The incident occurred when Kritsana took two days off for personal matters in Bangkok. During his absence, the deputy head of Na Pho Subdistrict Municipality took over his driving duties. Upon Kritsana’s return, the principal informed him that the vehicle’s engine had broken down and required repairs, for which he would be responsible.

Initially unaware of the repair costs, Kritsana was later presented with a bill amounting to 24,600 baht. The principal expected him to cover the entire amount. Shocked by this demand, Kritsana felt it was unfair, as he was only tasked with driving the vehicle, not to maintain it.

Forced to resign

At the end of the month, Kritsana’s salary was reduced by 9,500 baht, leaving him with a mere 500 baht. The principal insisted on recovering the remaining 15,000 baht from future paychecks, prompting Kritsana to submit his resignation as a janitor.

Following Kritsana’s resignation, his daughter took to social media, seeking assistance. This public plea led to the principal calling Kritsana for another discussion. The principal offered to let Kritsana return to work but insisted on deducting 3,000 baht per month from his salary over the next five months to cover the remaining repair costs. Kritsana’s daughter, however, opposed this arrangement, arguing that it was unjust, reported KhaoSod.

“I am just a janitor, but when my superior assigned me to drive, I complied. However, I believe it is unfair to make me pay for the repairs, especially considering the vehicle’s poor condition and its advanced age.”

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal
Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-01

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

They should fire the headmaster for sure, bully the poor hey.

They are already paying him less than minimum wage which I believe is about 350 baht a day, so that's over 12k a month

Edited by 2008bangkok
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Who's name is in the reg. book ? Whoever owns the 34yr old vehicle should pay for the repairs.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Recently, this ageing vehicle broke down, and the school sent it for repairs, which cost 25,000 baht.

They sent it for repair, so they should pay, I wonder how much the Parents have to pay the school for their kids transport........what next he has to pay for fuel too ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Give them a uniform like this and the power goes to their head. This is not him but quite a representative photo.

Thai school principal.

Thai_School_Principal_-_white_dress.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

They should fire the headmaster for sure, bully the poor hey.

They are already paying him less than minimum wage which I believe is about 350 baht a day, so that's over 12k a month

350 a day would average out to Bt9,100 a month over 12 month @ 6 days per week.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Bastard principal! He should pay him more for a heavier workload. After that, he should provide him with a legal and safe truck to drive the students. Driving students in a 37 year old car is against the law. After that he should pay back the money to the janitor, pay the entire repair bill and resign as principal of the school. Additionally he should face consequences for his unlawful action with high fines and/or jail time.

Absolutely, I'm sure the parents had every confidence in the safety of their kids in such an old vehicle, regularly checked and serviced 😉, actually the parents wouldn't give a monkeys, until something happened. 

• Agree 2

Sorry Mr.   "deputy head of Na Pho Subdistrict Municipality. "  The 37 year old Toyota needed repairs after you drove it.  Worked fine for the Janitor when he left for Bangkok.  

Seriously though, a 37 year old Toyota needs 25,000 baht or about $704 of repairs.  In the US most people would quickly pay this bill if the work justified it.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Sorry Mr.   "deputy head of Na Pho Subdistrict Municipality. "  The 37 year old Toyota needed repairs after you drove it.  Worked fine for the Janitor when he left for Bangkok.  

Seriously though, a 37 year old Toyota needs 25,000 baht or about $704 of repairs.  In the US most people would quickly pay this bill if the work justified it.  

In the US... is $704 2.5 months salary ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Monies to maintain the vehicle have - over many years, I suspect - disappeared in to certain pockets. Whence they can only with great difficulty be extracted.

Thanks - my thought as well!

Has the School Director plundered funds set aside for such maintenance and repairs (similar to those scamming school meal budgets)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PJPom said:

It baffles me how a so called highly qualified School Principal can completely ignore all moral issues and place all the blame on the Janitor.

Something the principal is devoid of.

2 hours ago, J Branche said:

The Toyota is the responsibility of the school not the driver, and this isn't USA

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon completion of the repairs, the school principal decided that Kritsana, being the driver, should bear the full cost of the repairs. With a monthly salary of 10,000 baht, Kritsana faced an initial deduction of 9,000 baht from his paycheck. This left him with only 1,000 baht for the month, prompting him to voice his concerns.

That's criminal. 

47 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Surely all the Janitor needs to do is go to the nearest Labor office, they'd sort it out very quickly...

I would have thought so too ....     that's their job    !

The school bus isn't worth 25,000 baht ....  it's ready for the scrap heap .

Go tell the boss head to shove the school bus up where he can fit it ....    and tell him he's being an ass_ho_ as well.

Let the guy who broke the bus pay for it .....   and tell him to shove it also .. 

It sound's to me like the deputy head and the principle are buddies,  and therefore decided to blame the Janitor for the bus breaking down.  

Resign ....  go report them to the labour office,   and get a new job where you at least get a little respect, albeit ... difficult in Thailand. 

• Like 1