Government to Crack Down on Low-Quality Chinese Imports

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am posting this using my 2018 Huawei phone. Not broken. 

And every component in my 8 year old PC is Made in China.

it's substandard ....you shouldn't be using it.   Please hand it in to the authorities or Khun Vuttikrai Leewiraphan at the commerce ministry. 

• Haha 2

It's not like this Govt is putting money in their people's pockets to buy quality goods.

Shopee and Lazada will look like Harrod's by the time Temu and the likes gain traction.

• Like 1

That's what happens when you dance with the devil.

Thais are too stupid and allow it all to happen in the first place because their low level of intelligence and high level of corruption associated with their know it all attitude, instead of learning from the rest of the world whi are already banning ot taxing the <deleted> out of the crap.

Temu does have super low prices.  I looked after the super bowl ad but never bought anything.  Prices so low shipped I thought it can't be real .  Some might be crap but it shows you how much profit American companies have been making for their made in China products  these last 25 years.  

It is going to be hard for any country to compete with China, which has the biggest market and the biggest share of the world manufacturing.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202402/21/WS65d56abaa31082fc043b8503.html

"Analyzing the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's recently released 2023 update of the TiVA database, the study found that in 2020, China made up a staggering 35 percent of global gross manufacturing production, followed by the US, Japan, Germany — China's share is three times the US share, six times Japan's, and nine times Germany's."

• Thumbs Up 1

"In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China. Local enterprises have been clamouring for action, citing the overwhelming presence of these products both online and in physical stores, which is threatening their survival."

Am I the only one who sees this as B.S.?  Not one of the products ordered from the major online sources like Lazada which are shipped from China incur import duties; or, taxes.  You want to stop that "influx", add 20% import duty + 7% tax on that stuff. The reality is that will NEVER happen.  Thus, I call B.S. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does this mean that 95% of all Chinese imports will be banned? Because that's how many are low quality, the only ones that aren't low quality are the ones that are supervised by American or Japanese companies during the manufacturing process. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China. Local enterprises have been clamouring for action, citing the overwhelming presence of these products both online and in physical stores, which is threatening their survival.

Recently, a significant meeting was convened, attended by representatives from the Commerce Ministry, the Ministries of Public Health, Digital Economy and Society, Finance, and various regulatory bodies. The focal point of the discussion was the negative impact of low-quality Chinese imports on local markets. 

A surge in possibly illegal Chinese establishments in tourist areas has also raised eyebrows, further aggravating the issue. Adding to these concerns is the impending launch of a major Chinese online platform, Temu, which promises to deliver goods at staggeringly low prices within five days.

Commerce Permanent Secretary Vuttikrai Leewiraphan addressed the media today, shedding light on the planned approach. The crackdown will target both physical and online trade models. Officials will scrutinise whether the products entering the Thai market are imported legally and have undergone necessary quality checks.

In physical stores, particularly those in Chinese-dominated areas, officials will verify whether the workforce includes non-Thai employees without proper work permits, as well as whether these establishments are legally registered and compliant with intellectual property laws.

For the online market, collaboration with the Customs Department will be crucial. By monitoring the top ten most popular online products, authorities can ensure they meet Thailand's quality standards and are legally permissible.

This decisive action by the government aims to stem the flood of inferior goods, thereby levelling the playing field for local businesses and ensuring consumer safety. As Thai officials gear up for this crackdown, it remains to be seen how swiftly and effectively these measures will be implemented.

TOP File photo for reference only. Courtesy: ThaiSMEeCenter

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-09

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

So all night markets closed and 85% of clothes shops in Pattaya/Bangkok closed. 

A follow up like in EU? About 2 weeks ago , same kind of story. 

It seems those online shops are exempt from import duty, dont know about Thailand.

They will take it away and so the products gets way higher in prices.

Also said for protection of local sellers. Yha , right, they dont give a damn about local sellers, it is just money in the box for government.

And of course, making it more expensive, the stream goes down, but in meantime money in government box and thats it.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China.

sorry guys i have to stop reading here. the yellow line train just arrived. gotta go. 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I am posting this using my 2018 Huawei phone. Not broken. 

And every component in my 8 year old PC is Made in China. As is my Karcher pressure washer.

What's manufactured in china under licence from large companies includes strict quality control implemented by the said large company.

Everything else is total garbage, made from sub standard materials and assembled by imbeciles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Government to Crack Down on Low-Quality Chinese Imports

Government to crack down on poor people's options to purchase inexpensive Chinese products.

There - fixed it.  :thumbsup:

• Agree 2

My wife will often say, "We go to cheap store today." 

We realize that what is being sold is both inexpensive as well as cheaply made.  Yet we buy stuff there.

Now what is the Thai government really doing?  The are going to put another sector of Thai small businesses out of business and force Thais to purchase more expensive products made in Thailand which have no guarantee to be any less cheaply made but will definitely be more expensive. 

Srettha and friends really do have it out for middle and lower class Thais.  More regressive taxes, less inexpensive options, and runaway inflation.  Hey I know - disband the political party which says they will help the common people on the street.  That's the ticket.  Hell - I'm hearing noise in the grapevine now about how Thais want the military to do what it has done in the past. Thais are really happy with this government.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China. Local enterprises have been clamouring for action, citing the overwhelming presence of these products both online and in physical stores, which is threatening their survival.

I get it now - big Thai corporations want to get rid of competition by making a public-private partnership with the government.  Government gets rid of inexpensive products - big corporations make more revenues and profits - poor and limited income Thais get screwed. Now it makes perfect sense.  Fascistic sense, but sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Folks.  Relax.  It's (as per usual) just talk.  Won't happen as the COL for 60%$ of Thai would jump dramatically if they had to buy lesser quality but Made In Thailand products.

Hey - they just implemented VAT on imports under 1500 THB.  And I've seen it in my own orders.  They are going to notch up inflation again.  They'll lie about it, but people on the street feel it in their pocketbooks.

3 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I would like to see an agreement whereby China has to take back the broken plastic crap at end of life.

Do they not already do that, and turn it into more plastic crap?

• Haha 1