Visa-free entry for Chinese nationals has many consequences

One positive....  They're a great market for Thai made goods. 

I see them every month, packing and repacking their stuffed luggage at the departure ticket gates and queued up at the VAT refund desks.  They probably aren't bringing Chinese made goodies back to China.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Its not Xenophobic Watching 3-4 Indians sharing a small bottle of water outside 7/11.

This is so old it's getting moss growing on it.  Show me one recent picture of this, and I'll change my views on Indians in Thailand. 

I'm much more concerned about Kuwaiti's at the moment, disrupting life in LOS.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I also hear they left behind the massive amount of unfinished buildings and construction in places like Sihanoukville, when their local economy collapsed back home in China and gbling laws changed in Cambodia. Is there a lesson to be learned here? They left behind a horrendous blight. They create alot of problems with their insatiable greed. 

Tens of thousands of Chinese citizens who moved to Cambodia to work in the gambling and hospitality industry have left the coastal city, leaving the economy in limbo and hundreds of high-rises unfinished across the city.

In July, provincial authorities met with representatives of local investors and landlords who have leased to Chinese investment projects to discuss the crisis.

According to Sihanoukville provincial authority, more than 1,000 buildings in Sihanoukville have been abandoned for more than two years.

https://cambojanews.com/sihanoukville-property-owners-in-limbo-as-unfinished-high-rises-litter-the-city/

2022-08-31-21.05.07-1000x674.jpg

2022-08-31-21.04.40-1000x664.jpg

Pictures look like the afterwards of an attack of locusts.

Well, the Chinese and Russians at least have a herd instinct and like to flock together and avoid integration as much as possible. This is good because it means they are all in a few places and not spread out all over the country. Where I live I have yet to see or hear either. Even westerners are very thin on the ground .

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

The borders are shifting. Thailand has sold off its sovereignty and appeal to the highest bidders. This open borders campaign is going to be the cancer that turns the country into a barren wasteland with nothing to offer and ultimately will turn the place into an Indo-Sino-Russian subsidiary. 
Thailand is well past it’s prime as an exotic tourist destination 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Sounds as though the Chinese are getting the exact same deal the western folks have.

Well, except for the kiddie diddling and the ladyboy spelunking.

China bad!

In English please

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Nothing like a topic like this to bring out the xenophobes. The comments seem to confirm.

And normally there is nothing like a topic like this to bring out the virtue signalling woke   But your battle cry appears to have landed on deaf ears,They must all be busy taking offence somewhere else, Somewhere more worthy perhaps?   

You would probably be better off joining them , if you haven't already,  afterall , virtue signalling is a group participation activity, It won't be much fun for you on your own

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

In my twenty years here Ive never seen so many and they arent tourist.

In Pattaya, talking the darkside I run into lots of families that are living here purchased homes using agents to set up companies, kids go to schools my granddaughter attends that receive heavy funds from Chinese government, I see them at Tops super market, Home Pro, majority are much too young to be retired so wherecare funds coming.

A few weeks ago I needed a new ATM card. The waiting area was packed with Chinese couples Thai agents opening bank accounts.

I certainly have encountered the latter in the banks.

1 hour ago, zackxx said:

There is a sign in Thai & English next to the doors of the lift (at all BTS stations) to give priority to disabled, aged, pregnant women and children. Let these disadvantaged people use the lift first.

So what do they do ? Push those out the way ?

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

Why was it call Covid 19? Because there were 18 Covid  infections before Covid 19 ...DUH! 

Where did these Covid infections originate? Do your own research. 

I always was thinking it's called Covid 19, because the outbreak started in 2019!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

in english ?

doubt that - although Brit crims are the only ones who can't speak another language - looks like they'll lose out.

Edited by kwilco

4 hours ago, freeworld said:

Nothing like a topic like this to bring out the xenophobes. The comments seem to confirm.

Sad but true- a topic within itself.

I joined this form to read about events in the region and gain insight to fellow expat perspectives. Too often, I have to scroll through heaps of chaff to find solid grains of perspective.

Sending a grateful shout out to those that contribute to the forum with civility- cheers🍻 

Edited by RethairedJarhead
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Sounds as though the Chinese are getting the exact same deal the western folks have.

Well, except for the kiddie diddling and the ladyboy spelunking.

China bad!

Im not complaining just commenting and curious as to why? Freedom? 

Im Chinese American still have some family in Canton.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Thai government’s decision to encourage visa-free travel for Chinese nationals has certainly boosted their numbers. They are now estimated to be around 35,000 per day as flights increase from more cities in China. The overall volume is either back to pre-covid days or has even surpassed it.

Although the boost to Thai tourism and to government coffers is obvious, there are other features about the move. Recent advertising hoardings in Bangkok and Rayong, written exclusively in the Chinese language, have been removed by Thai local authorities but clearly illustrate a new market trend.

The Thai commerce ministry is complaining that Chinese-made domestic products are flooding Thai markets at a huge discount compared with Thai-made items. The popular Alibaba Group Holding e-commerce and retail technology company is basically run from China and offers knock-down prices.

Meanwhile, there are frequent media tales in Thailand about Chinese citizens being abducted or forcibly repatriated, even as Thai immigration officers periodically swoop on Chinese illegal businesses and scam centers throughout the country.

By Barry Kenyon

TOP picture: Chinese tourism to Thailand has recovered completely from the covid era.

Full story: PATTAYA MAIL 2024-08-10

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

My new neighbor happens to be several chinese who came in on a tourist visa but they want to get a long sty visa, they also have a car as well. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

You will reap what you sow. The first case of Covid 19 reported outside of China was a Thai Taxi driver

who took a Chinese tourist from the airport to their Bangkok hotel....FACT NOT A Conspiracy theory.

Why was it call Covid 19? Because there were 18 Covid  infections before Covid 19 ...DUH! 

What other presents will Chinese tourists visit upon the Thai population. The Big Wig Bangkok Fat Cats will make money and that is ALL they care about.   

Doing "research" does not give you a degree in epidemiology. Anything that does not come from a recognized and vetted reliable source is still third party speculation. Just because someone "does research" doesn't mean it was done objectively and broadly enough to draw definitive conclusions. People can find "research" to back up virtually anything.

9 hours ago, Shmo said:

These Thailand immigration rules Sure tells the rest of us farang world just how and what the Thai Government thinks of us.

It’s pretty clear by their policies that they really don’t want  any to live here and if we do live here, they want us to pay a <deleted> ton of money to do it and they absolutely do not want us to make any money or run a legal business in or around Thailand  by using any of the available resources or infrastructure. 

that mentality has trickles down from the top and has given the Thai people an excuse to treat the Farang like an ATM across the entire spectrum of the country.

why are you calling yourself a Farang??? we are expats!

Don't understand why you think that. Visa exempt was just increased to 60 days. They just created new visas that make it much easier to stay long term.

Visa fees are not expensive.

I owned a few companies in Thailand and never had an issue, actually with the one company the Thai government worked with us to develop new products. 

Before you start saying Thai is 51%, I'm from the USA so was able to own more than 49% (which I owned 60%, had 1 thai partner and expat partner)

As for feeling like an ATM, that all depends on your situation. If you're the only income in the family then you are the ATM. If you knew this from the start, well...

7 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

You will reap what you sow. The first case of Covid 19 reported outside of China was a Thai Taxi driver

who took a Chinese tourist from the airport to their Bangkok hotel....FACT NOT A Conspiracy theory.

What other presents will Chinese tourists visit upon the Thai population. The Big Wig Bangkok Fat Cats will make money and that is ALL they care about.   

Covid is a SAR virus which Thailand went through the SARS outbreak back in the mid 2000's. If you recall they were taking everyones temperature when entering Thailand at the time. 

It's called COVID 19 as an abbreviation for 2019 novel coronavirus, not that there were 18 different variants before it.

The 2002–2004 outbreak of SARS, caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV or SARS-CoV-1), infected over 8,000 people from 30 countries and territories, and resulted in at least 774 deaths worldwide.[1]

The outbreak was first identified in Foshan, Guangdong, China, in November 2002.[2] The World Health Organization (WHO) was notified of the outbreak in February 2003, and issued a global alert in March 2003. Initially, the cause of the outbreak was unknown, and some media outlets reported that an influenza virus was a potential culprit.[3] The major part of the outbreak lasted about 8 months, and the World Health Organization declared SARS contained on 5 July 2003. However, several SARS cases were reported until May 2004.[4]

In late December 2019, SARS-CoV-2, a coronavirus in the same genus as the one that caused SARS, was discovered in Wuhan, Hubei, China. It spread to other areas of Asia, and then worldwide in early 2020. This strain causes COVID-19, which has caused the COVID-19 pandemic.[5][6]