Marriage Visa - Proof of Income

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It is a problem Jack.

The OP wants to use the income method for the Non O at Immigration.
He's Australian, no Embassy Income letter, and Immigration do not accept proof of income in the form of monthly overseas transfers for the Non O.

Looks like I will need to open a Thai bank account

5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

I did read the PDF.. 7.1 is where I have a problem.

2 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's your intention in the long term after obtaining a Non Imm O visa, to then apply for 1 year extensions of stay based on Thai spouse.

You can apply for the Non Imm O online from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in Australia using your pension as proof of income (40K THB per month), but not from a local Immigration office. You would require 400K in a Thai bank account in your sole name for the Non Imm O at an Immigration office.

Going forward, for the 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse using the income method, you would require evidence of 12 x 40K THB overseas transfers, as an Embassy Income letter is not available to yourself. You would therefore have to use the 400K deposit in a Thai bank for the very first 1 year extension of stay.

IMO it's less hassle to apply for the Non Imm O online from your local Thai Embassy/Consulate to enter Thailand.

You'll also have more chance of opening a bank account with a Non Imm O visa, rather than a VE or TV entry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Liquorice said:
44 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Bank statement and PDF downloads of Wise transfers.

49 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Not for the Non Imm O from Immigration.

Only Embassy Income letters or 400K deposited in a Thai bank permitted.

OP is Australian - no Embassy Income letters.

The headline is quite clear. The OP asked about 'Proof of Income' and that's exactly what I've provided. It is incidentally the method I've used ever since we lost the convenience of the embassy letters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The headline is quite clear. The OP asked about 'Proof of Income' and that's exactly what I've provided. It is incidentally the method I've used ever since we lost the convenience of the embassy letters.

Which is fine for the ongoing extensions but no use for the initial non-O if applying in Thailand, as appears to be the OP's original intention.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Op enquired about obtaining the Non Imm O from Immigration, not a 1-year extension of stay.

The only proof of income Immigration accept for the Non Imm O is via an Embassy Income letter, not monthly overseas transfers and a bank statement.

VE-TV-NonOThaispouseP3..png.30b7744f13f17a8223270fecd7ac6d4b.png

Please get on the correct page and stop misleading the OP.

21 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Todd, for the 400K to be in the bank two months before submitting the application for the extension of stay, does Immigration go by calendar months or calendar days?  For example:  I show up at Immigration on April 17th and I count back 60 days to Feb 17th and deposit my money on that date. Or, I show up on April 17th and need to have deposited my 400K sometime in January. 

Trat immigration it's 60 days 

moneyformarry.thumb.jpg.db5a2ff8b986a38a3e3fdf2341e6fe36.jpg

On 8/14/2024 at 10:59 AM, Celsius said:

Literally 10 days ago at Chaeng Watthana:

transferred 400k baht 6 months ago. While I was in the toilet my wife picked up passport and got a lecture (friendly remiinder)  that money in the bank should be put in the bank 2 months before the application or my application will not be approved next year.

I went home and thought aboout it for a long time and why would they say something stupid like that?

Then I noticed the bank letter had a 3 month statement instead of 2. 

Could this have been a problem?

Sounds like lost in Translation to me in fact at Trat IO they even say 3 months.

moneyformarry.thumb.jpg.b0a3889a110d1ed5844c5f2a008c6365.jpg

56 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

That will be a problem from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You require a certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

Oz embassy does not provide that service.

Also in Bangkok they require a 90 day report to have been done to obtain COR.

That isn't possible.

Entering with a non O obtained in Australia would make opening a bank account easier.

Agents can assist with opening bank account. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

The only acceptable method using income for the Non Imm O from Immigration is an Embassy Income letter.

You can only use the income method to obtain the Non Imm O from a Thai Embassy/Consulate before entering Thailand.

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/visa/non-immigrant-o

Staying with Family Visas

To stay with non-Thai family residing in Thailand (more than 60 days)

To stay with Thai family residing in Thailand (more than 60 days)

Required Document
(Please check relevant embassy/
consulate's website for specifically
required documents)
  1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence showing monthly income of no less than 40,000 THB or having the current balance of 400,000 THB, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings
  5. Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  6. Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. A copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption

No it isn't.

I got my Non O visa from NZ back in 2009 and i have been using the Embassy letter until 2018 when the UK embassy stopped issuing the letter from 1st January 2019.

I have been using Wise to transfer my pensions to my Bangkok Bank account since 2018.

On both my BKK bank statements and in the bankbook it clearly shows that my pension income is an international transfer and the Immigration office at Kamphaeng Phet accept that.

I could of course send it directly to the joint account at Kasikorn Bank, but that would mean that I would.

A) Have to open an account in my name only, 

B) Request an invoice from KBank head off for each transfer.

I can't be bothered, as the system works simply and easily as it is, and as an ex engineer of many years, I was taught that if it works, don't screw about with it.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No it isn't.

I got my Non O visa from NZ back in 2009 and i have been using the Embassy letter until 2018 when the UK embassy stopped issuing the letter from 1st January 2019.

You misread the guy you were quoting..

He is pointing out that a non O cannot be obtained at immigration in Thailand from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry using income method without embassy letter. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You misread the guy you were quoting..

He is pointing out that a non O cannot be obtained at immigration in Thailand from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry using income method without embassy letter. 

OK. 

I haven't used a visa exempt or tourist visa going back as far as 1993.

I have always used a normal visa until my Non Imm O back in 2015

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2024 at 7:59 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Umm the Auzzie embassy here in thailand hasn't provided the stat dec for income from abroad since Dec 2018 😮 so this is not a new issue (although it might be new for you)

You put 400K baht in a thai bank account in your name only for 2 months before you apply for the year extension at your immigration office

Some offices won't even accept 40K baht by monthly income for marriage visa/extensions anymore unless you get that money by legally working inside thailand 

So
even transferring in 40K baht a month each month every month for the previous year won't get you a visa/extension at some offices anymore

Which offices? 

On 8/14/2024 at 7:59 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Some offices won't even accept 40K baht by monthly income for marriage visa/extensions anymore unless you get that money by legally working inside thailand 

Where did you get that from? I've never heard or read that anywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Op enquired about obtaining the Non Imm O from Immigration, not a 1-year extension of stay.

The only proof of income Immigration accept for the Non Imm O is via an Embassy Income letter, not monthly overseas transfers and a bank statement.

VE-TV-NonOThaispouseP3..png.30b7744f13f17a8223270fecd7ac6d4b.png

Please get on the correct page and stop misleading the OP.

I repeat, the OP clearly requested 'proof of income', which is precisely what I provided.

The simple adage is: If you want the right answer, ask the right question'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Where did you get that from? I've never heard or read that anywhere. 

That you did not hear it, does not negate the fact that it is true at more than a few offices when it comes to extensions based on marriage to a thai trying to use 40,000 baht income method by transfer

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

That you did not hear it, does not negate the fact that it is true at more than a few offices when it comes to extensions based on marriage to a thai trying to use 40,000 baht income method by transfer

When I hear a shout from someone to whom it actually happened, I shall remain very skeptical. There is no valid reason why an immigration officer should refuse such an application.

Unless of course the officer wasn't satisfied with financial information that was presented to him. I'm sure that can sometimes happen and then it's back to the applicant to prove his case.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Not for the Non Imm O from Immigration.

Only Embassy Income letters or 400K deposited in a Thai bank permitted.

OP is Australian - no Embassy Income letters.

Question 1: If I have an income letter from my Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, would I be able to use that to get my non-O 90 days extended with a year based on marriage while I'm in Thailand, or do I need to apply from my embassy in Norway? Yes, they still give income letters from our embassy in Bangkok.

No 400k in bank, or any further monthly income sent to a Thai bank.

Question 2: Will this work with non-O extensions based on retirement too? If I show my income letter of more than 65.000 baht, can I avoid the 12 monthly transfers beforehand, and 800k in bank the first year, and start directly with my income as source?

Much appreciated if you have an answer to these 2 questions :)

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I repeat, the OP clearly requested 'proof of income', which is precisely what I provided.

The simple adage is: If you want the right answer, ask the right question'.

The title, Marriage visa - proof of income was the header.
The OP's question was detailed in his posts, which I clearly understood.

It became confusing when members starting replying regarding requirements for the 1 year extension of stay.
Mind you, whilst there are those that believe they are extending their 'visa' annually, then they themselves are already confused.

14 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

Question 1: If I have an income letter from my Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, would I be able to use that to get my non-O 90 days extended with a year based on marriage while I'm in Thailand, or do I need to apply from my embassy in Norway? Yes, they still give income letters from our embassy in Bangkok.

No 400k in bank, or any further monthly income sent to a Thai bank.

Question 2: Will this work with non-O extensions based on retirement too? If I show my income letter of more than 65.000 baht, can I avoid the 12 monthly transfers beforehand, and 800k in bank the first year, and start directly with my income as source?

Much appreciated if you have an answer to these 2 questions 🙂

For the Embassy Income letter you apply at the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok.

There is no Norwegian Embassy in Norway, only a Thai Embassy, where you could apply for an initial visa type with which to enter Thailand.

You can't extend a visa, you extend the 90-day permission of stay, which is a permit, not a visa.

You can apply for either a 1 year extension of your period of stay based on either Thai spouse, or retirement subject to the income stated on the Embassy letter.

Immigration may request proof of your stated pension income.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

The title, Marriage visa - proof of income was the header.
The OP's question was detailed in his posts, which I clearly understood.

It became confusing when members starting replying regarding requirements for the 1 year extension of stay.
Mind you, whilst there are those that believe they are extending their 'visa' annually, then they themselves are already confused.

Both you and I have been around here long enough to know that what you speak of here is a very common mistake, So let's just forget it shall we?

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:59 AM, Celsius said:

Literally 10 days ago at Chaeng Watthana:

transferred 400k baht 6 months ago. While I was in the toilet my wife picked up passport and got a lecture (friendly remiinder)  that money in the bank should be put in the bank 2 months before the application or my application will not be approved next year.

I went home and thought aboout it for a long time and why would they say something stupid like that?

Then I noticed the bank letter had a 3 month statement instead of 2. 

Could this have been a problem?

My 400K has been in my bank account for years.  Actually over a decade.  I've come to the conclusion that there are IOs out there who simply want to harass those of us married to Thai women.

You put the money in the account 6 months before the extension and your wife gets told to put it in 2 months before the extension - "Or Else!"  Wtf?  :glare:  So you keep that money in until your next extension, and then what? 

My last extension my IO (a new gal and recent hire) wanted a bank statement covering a full year for a marriage extension. It was simply a PITA as I had to go back to the bank and spend another 100 THB for the statement.  Thank God it wasn't BKK Bank or I'd have had to wait a week or more to get that full year statement.  SCB could crank it out on the spot.  But - that's not how the police orders read - it's two month before so they only need two months of statements - well - unless their express purpose is to harass you, or the IO doesn't really have a clue regarding the law he/she are suppose to enforce. So I've also come to the conclusion that many IOs don't have a freaking clue as to what Thai Immigration laws actually says - in other words they are incompetent.  I'm being nice and giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Stupid - not vindictive, although some are clearly vindictive.  I've met at least one.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

I don't understand you people who keep harping on this same point over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over <------ see, doesn't that get irritating.

Within the same post, as in yours it's irritating, but the same info spread over different posts in reply to different members - no!

1 hour ago, connda said:

"I'm extending my visa based on marriage," or "I'm applying for a visa extension based on marriage," or "I'm getting an extension based on marriage."
Honestly - wtf difference does it make?  None!  All of us apply for annual extensions know exactly what an OP means if they say, "I want to extend my visa based on marriage." 

That wasn't the OP's question though, was it!

Others joined in the topic with financial income requirements for annual extensions, which again wasn't the question.

I understand what they are applying for, but do they know.
Obviously not, if they state they are applying to extend their visa based on retirement/marriage.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Then you guys come along, "You can't extend a Visa - stupid!"  You are the same as the "Spelling and Grammar Police" on this forum.  Really - why do you insist on doing it?  Does it make you feel superior.  Just stop.  There is no need for it.  Everyone here - including YOU - understands what an OP means by "extending a visa based on marriage."

I never implied anyone is stupid.

Regardless of agents and Immigration incorrectly using the phrase 'extend visa', it's important that the member realises that's not possible and what they are actually extending.

There are those who have genuinely believed they've extended their visa, left the Country, only to receive a 30 day VE stamp on re-entry.
A few have admitted their error, whilst I suspect a lot more haven't.

The terminology used is important if you seek the correct information, it's not semantics.

If folks only read the forms they complete it would be quite obvious what they are applying for, unfortunately they don't.

Here's a question for you to answer, Connda;

I have a retirement visa, but have to return to the UK for a family bereavement and wonder if I'll have a problem re-entering in a fortnight.

I await your reply with bated breath!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Just - Stop!  Please.  Just like Moonlover states as well.  You're adding nothing to this forum or this thread by nitpicking on words.  You're just being the "Immigration Law Definitions Grammar Police."  Nothing more, nothing less.  Cut it out.

I gave the OP the correct advice and information relative to his enquiry.

Had the OP followed some of the advice (which was off topic as it related to annual extensions of stay), he would have been immensely disappointed and out of pocket to discover Immigration would not accept his proof of income.

Edited by Liquorice

4 hours ago, connda said:

I'm extending my visa based on marriage," or "I'm applying for a visa extension based on marriage," or "I'm getting an extension based on marriage."
Honestly - wtf difference does it make?  None! 

You are providing poor advice.

The OP is looking for advice on obtaining a non O based on marriage from local Thai immigration office.

That is different to applying for 12 months extension to permission of stay.

The advice that @Liquorice has provided in the thread re using income method is correct 

I also pointed out that the OP will not be able to use income method as he cannot show 12 months of transfers.

Oz embassy does not provide income letters along with USA and UK 

At this point he doesn't even have a Thai bank account in his name only.

Along with thread that outlines the process I posted earlier.

Also his first extension he will need to use funds in bank method.

Also noted that while the application for a non O visa (not an extension) only requires funds in bank on day of application.... Jomitien is insisting on 2 months seasoning. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2024 at 4:48 PM, Tod Daniels said:

2 MONTHS date to date before you apply for the extension    (except for the month of Feb when they add 2 days 😮)
So if you show up April 17th to apply for an extension you needed to have the money in the bank before Feb 15th

Wow! It´s so much difference depending on what immigration office you belong to. As you say, some will only accept 400k in bank, and others will accept monthly income as well. Same with how many days the money must be in account before you apply for extension. Some say 2 month, other 3, while I asked my immigration office, and they would issue a Non-O based on marriage and only need the money in the bank same day of application. Besides that, I am on retirement visa, and they have never asked for any bank statements for a full year. They just want a bank statement same day that the money is there and copy of first page bank book.

Looks like it´s as usual different everywhere. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

while I asked my immigration office, and they would issue a Non-O based on marriage and only need the money in the bank same day of application.

400K yes, not 12 x monthly overseas transfers for a Non O application.
Only Embassy income letters are accepted as proof of income.

Your post is detailing both requirements for a 1-year extension and a Non O at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Besides that, I am on retirement visa,

You're on a 1-year extension of your permission of stay, for the reason of retirement.
Your stamp is a 'permit' (of stay), not a visa.

The STM2 form that you obviously signed without reading clearly states you are applying for a 'permit'.

Your original Non expired a long time ago, but it gives you Non Immigrant status, as opposed to a tourist.

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

400K yes, not 12 x monthly overseas transfers for a Non O application.
Only Embassy income letters are accepted as proof of income.

Your post is detailing both requirements for a 1-year extension and a Non O at the same time.

You're on a 1-year extension of your permission of stay, for the reason of retirement.
Your stamp is a 'permit' (of stay), not a visa.

The STM2 form that you obviously signed without reading clearly states you are applying for a 'permit'.

Your original Non expired a long time ago, but it gives you Non Immigrant status, as opposed to a tourist.

Look! Again, we are pointing out the perfect terminology. Yes, I know I have an extension for the reason of retirement based on my former application and approval of a Non-O visa. Something that can be called a permission to stay in the Kingdom. However, many of us just simplify it all by calling it visa. We still know what we talk about, have and how it works. Unfortunately, the visa besserwissers on this forum must always point out the same like you did.

You totally missed the purpose of my post as well. It was to point out that it differ a lot depending on which office you are connected to. First you also write that only embassy income letter are accepted as proof. Not at all offices, as that differ a lot as well. You people can stop with generalizing as that is not working at all in Thailand. Just because it stands as a rule somewhere, does not mean it works like that in all places.

• Thanks 1