What's One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Moving to Thailand?

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

When my brother came here for the first time around 20 years ago i told him,"In twenty years i am only going to regret not buying more land"

I think i was right.

that was when my wife started buying farmland... 40,000 baht per rai, now 250,000 baht per rai... 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I would have liked to have known what a lying, cheating, thieving, gamboling bunch, the women were, it was a long time ago about 20yrs, before that kind of information was on the internet, or general knowledge, had to find out for ourselves then, the hard way, but I learnt very quickly never to trust any of them, the sad thing the good ones also suffer with my mistrust, and still do 20 yrs later.

I'd liked to have known that back in the UK, age 20, before I married a Brit woman.

Already knowing that, Thailand's been great.

PS. I also already knew ...... there are no good ones!

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'd liked to have known that back in the UK, age 20, before I married a Brit woman.

Already knowing that, Thailand's been great.

PS. I also already knew ...... there are no good ones!

I disagree I have met a few good ones here, my now wife for one. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PFMills said:

That the exchange rate was not going to stay at 72+thb/1gbp. If I'd known that I would have brought all the money I had and borrowed some!! 

If you didn't know that exchange rates change every day, you should have stayed in the UK

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

OK, so your wife is different, but my wife isn't different.

Yeah ...I heard that your experience hasn't been exactly wonderful, unlucky. I've been somewhat more fortunate and for 22 years, although she's pushing on in years now I never considered changing in the past or the present. Just wish she wasn't better at golf than me ... 

12 minutes ago, PFMills said:

That the exchange rate was not going to stay at 72+thb/1gbp. If I'd known that I would have brought all the money I had and borrowed some!! 

why not have just bought Nividia? 

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

If you didn't know that exchange rates change every day, you should have stayed in the UK

No, 'kin love it here. of course rates change but I didn't expect that it would drop to half.  I'd be lying if I said that it didn't effect us somewhat initially but now we never worry what we spend.   

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

A daily spelling/numbers show on Channel 4 in UK. Been going for years. You Tube it and you will learn who Rachel Riley is. Enjoy

Or even better, look for 8 Out of Ten Cats does Countdown. She wears much sexier clothing.

Yeah wow, Rachel is tidy.... but white aint right.

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

why not have just bought Nividia? 

No ...but she has just had everything XXIO and she has had the Lady Low Gross or Low Nett the last two comps she played...  she's lovely ......####

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

much easier to learn after coming here as there is immersion. 

Biggest myth out there. Studying the language for close to a decade before moving here was the best thing I ever did.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Biggest myth out there. Studying the language for close to a decade before moving here was the best thing I ever did.

We each learn differently, but I was not one to plan a decade ahead... 

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I would have liked to have known what a lying, cheating, thieving, gamboling bunch, the women were, it was a long time ago about 20yrs, before that kind of information was on the internet, or general knowledge, had to find out for ourselves then, the hard way, but I learnt very quickly never to trust any of them, the sad thing the good ones also suffer with my mistrust, and still do 20 yrs later.

Everyone thinks they're an expert on everything these days with the internet, but thanks for reminding people that 20-30 years ago you had to learn so much about Thailand through trial and error.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

In the BP.

You were seriously here 20 years ago and don't know about the legendary Trink?

No never heard of him. I couldn't even buy the BP on Koh Chang.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

We each learn differently, but I was not one to plan a decade ahead... 

Plain and simply, you're giving out bad advice based on the false assumption that everyone's got nothing better to do with their time than teach you Thai for free. It's especially bad advice today when so many Thais speak at least a smattering of English. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

I wish I had learned to speak Thai before coming here.

What advantages will one get from that assuming he lives in Pattaya using his savings or pension?  

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah wow, Rachel is tidy.... but white aint right.

Good Jewish atheist. Married her Russian Strictly Come Dancing partner in 2016, two kids now. Lost it a bit, but 10 years ago,...........phewww

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That I am a handsome man.

It must be true, because all the girls in the bars in pattaya used to shout it at me as I walked past when I lived there.

Now look at you. There's an EV added in as a chick magnet.