What do you think about the Floating Markets?

Chris Daley

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What do you think about the Floating Markets?

I think about them at all. They are from a different era and no longer needed.

Not true for Vietnam, they are basically the wholesales from which the retailers buy. Food chain.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:40 PM, Chris Daley said:

Little unicorn toys, bracelets, princess Elsa outfits, low quality food, does this do it for you?

How about you?  How do you often visit the floating markets?

I have never been there.

It's the Hanging Gardens that I yearn to see, some day....

image.png.4af39e50c70f6f34e0cc18c3c2a703b4.png

I used to be vaguely interested. I looked into one in Pattaya once I think and from memory it had an entry fee or dual pricing so I lost interest. Not to mention most taxis and vans have them on their little placards which screams commisions and tourist trap to me.

Not sure if they are all like that but why pay to go to a market at all? Markets are already not that interesting if you have seen them 100 times already. If you're new to Thailand then different story perhaps.

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Probably correct, and Amphawa has to be 2nd worst, as canal part is so small, and actually dangerous to walk when crowded.

I went to Amphawa 12/13 years ago, mainly to see the fireflies. Very few at the market then but not been back since. As said, most are now just a tourist trap.

Best one I ever saw was found by accident on our way back from Nakhon Pathom but can't remember where.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I used to be vaguely interested. I looked into one in Pattaya once I think and from memory it had an entry fee or dual pricing so I lost interest.

Pattaya is a mock up intended for tourists, there is even a train station at the far side.

Yes indeed, they have dual pricing, was 40 & 200 baht. If you have a pink card you can get a pass that get's you the Thai price. The problem is that you have pay to go inside to the office to get the pass.

First time I went it was with a fairly large group of Thais and they said no one would be going in if I didn't get the Thai price, someone came from the office and did the pass for me outside.

Think I have only been back once since, and that was some time ago.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Best one I ever saw was found by accident on our way back from Nakhon Pathom but can't remember where.

Finally found the one I was thinking of, best one for food, and I was the only foreigner there, 4 years ago.   Sept 2020, so during covid, and would explain no foreigners there.  TH still shut down at the time, thankfully, as reading current reviews, seems quite the tourist spot now.  Got to love a good pandemic.

Over by hwy 9 (west), well past most of the local canal floating markets to Bangkok.

Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Finally found the one I was thinking of, best one for food, and I was the only foreigner there, 4 years ago.   Sept 2020, so during covid, and would explain no foreigners there.  TH still shut down at the time, thankfully, as reading current reviews, seems quite the tourist spot now.  Got to love a good pandemic.

Over by hwy 9 (west), well past most of the local canal floating markets to Bangkok.

Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market

We went to Nakhon Pathom for my niece to do a uni exam, about 2012/13, why a bit vague.

Indeed, we went to Krabi in Sept 2020, beach area absolutely deserted but Krabi town was mobbed, with Thais.

Not a foreigner in sight.

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

We went to Nakhon Pathom for my niece to do a uni exam, about 2012/13, why a bit vague.

Indeed, we went to Krabi in Sept 2020, beach area absolutely deserted but Krabi town was mobbed, with Thais.

Not a foreigner in sight.

Like Krabi town, and haven't been in long time.   Almost popped in last time time close, at Phang-nga, but car was acting up, and wanted to get back home.   Turned out to be a damn loose wire :cheesy:

Was at Ao Nang a couple times during the 'situation', for a pit stop/overnighter, and lovely, though most things were shuttered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Was at Ao Nang a couple times during the 'situation', for a pit stop/overnighter, and lovely, though most things were shuttered.

One way of putting it,  some may say ghost town.

The pizza place on the front was still open and quite peaceful sat on the roof terrace with a cold one looking out to sea.

• Love It 1

On the subject of canal side / floating markets, there's Ong Ang Walking Street, and quite nice, at Krung Thep, and we've been a few times.   West side of ChinaTown, MRT very close and couple bus lines cruise, so easy to get to/from.

Non  canal/floating market, but needs a mention, Sunday Old Town Phuket night market, quite nice. 

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Might look familiar ...

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might look familiar ...

Could be, seem to remember large market next to car park and then walking down to the river. Had a boat go around the floating part.

Been to quite a few over the years so difficult to separate. My wife's BiL used to be self employed with a minibus in Bangkok. They used to visit at weekends and we regularly went to a restaurant at the Chachoengsao floating market for Sunday lunch, a good day out.

He retired around 2013, his wife came to live here and he went elsewhere, not been back since.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2024 at 3:56 AM, geisha said:

There is one beautiful and amazing floating market in Can THo south of Saigon Vietnam. While I am not into these things, I’d heard so much I went. Rented my boat , it was fantastic. It’s absolutely nothing like you see in Thailand. Absolutely huge, the boat trip is calming , the boat owner stops at a few tiny islands just off the market and you see how rice paper is made ( the best in Asia) all the Vietnamese noodles and some drinks. No one bothers you to buy, they are authentic home factories selling their wares world wide, the same makes I buy in France to make  News,  Bo Bun,  Pho, Wan Tan etc Everyone at the market is authentic , no rip offs, the only small cost is the boat and a bowl of Pho if you want one from the many Sanpans. Thoroughly enjoyed. 

Vietnam I agree is something very different to Thailand. I was lucky to work there for a year.

I was taken to a touristy one in Pattaya during Covid - free for Thai, farang must pay! I was the only farang there, 80% of the shops stalls were deserted, hardly any people. Most interesting thing was watching a catfish slowly swim between one pier and the next. Never again.