Paetongtarn Shinawatra to be Nominated as Thailand's New PM

1 hour ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Why not?  Honest question.

I'm sorry but as an honest question, the best I can suggest is you familiarise yourself with Thailand's politics - if I gave you an explanation it would most likely be removed by ASEAN NOW to avoid further action by the authorities.You need to understand that most of the comments on this site on Thai politics are going to be very cryptic. the only way to understand that is by reading up yourself. THis can be difficult in THailand as many books, articles t are unavailable.

Edited by kwilco
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

now we know why all the circus about dissolving MF.... their (Thaksin cronies) main goal was and has always been to install her and become another NON-elected PM... next will be auntie assignment of a very important cabinet, any guess???

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

She is now the Prime Minister.

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, daughter of the billionaire former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has been approved as Thailand’s next prime minister, after securing enough support from lawmakers.

Paetongtarn, 37, will be the youngest prime minister to lead the country. Her appointment on Friday followed 24 hours of frantic negotiations triggered by a court ruling that ousted the former prime minister Srettha Thavisin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/16/paetongtarn-shinawatra-thailand-pm-replacement-voting-thaksin-shinawatra

Burma Bill ! Where have you been ? Yes, the news was all over the BBC world and French TV  hours ago. 
Nothing  much changes in Thailand over the years does it .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ll give her 5 minutes before she gives way to daddy. I could be wrong though, it might be quicker than that.

No need, Daddy was in power even before he came back. Sometimes, it's better to be in power behind the scenes and let the front take all the blame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

he better support her, or he will be looking for a job very soon.... a bunch of double face no integrity people, the will of the people doesn't matter as long as their pockets keep filling up, what experience does she have on doing anything, being a HiSo she never worked one day of her life, she doesn't know the peoples needs, middle to lower class citizens don't want anybody like her

That applies equally across all the cabinet ministers and the majority of the MPS. It also applies to the military.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I'm sorry but as an honest question, the best I can suggest is you familiarise yourself with Thailand's politics - if I gave you an explanation it would most likely be removed by ASEAN NOW to avoid further action by the authorities.You need to understand that most of the comments on this site on Thai politics are going to be very cryptic. the only way to understand that is by reading up yourself. THis can be difficult in THailand as many books, articles t are unavailable.

Excellent response. Love it. Respect !!

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

now we know why all the circus about dissolving MF.... their (Thaksin cronies) main goal was and has always been to install her and become another NON-elected PM... next will be auntie assignment of a very important cabinet, any guess???

"and become another NON-elected PM"     Do you know how PM's  are elected !!!! I think not !!!!

PM are elected by the MP's   NOT the people  so what has just happened The PM has just being elected by the MPs     I am really amazed by the posters on here how little they know about Parliament procedures  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And we have a new 'fresh face'.. Wooo !!! - at least its not that vile anti-farang tub of lard, Anutin.

Just remember Richard - the UK kicked Thaksin out as he was still trying to use his diplomatic passport.  He's unlikely to forget that.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

and she worked very hard to get there, all the hard work and sweating paid out 555

And all her hard earned shares.... a prezzy from Daddy?

9 hours ago, AlexPattaya said:

It’s a Great Choice! Smart, Educated, She will bring stability and prosperity to the Kingdom! I think she will be great !

Hm,... Smart ??? Didn't she get caught cheating at the university entry examination ??? (Her father bought the exam questions and answers !!)

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And all her hard earned shares.... a prezzy from Daddy?

What shares ??? she does not have any

she HAD shares in telecom and some media  but the word is HAD

Edited by MikeandDow

21 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Any bets on how long till the next coup?

I must admit that I thought the dissolving of the party and dismissal of the PM would have made a coup unnecessary, but now I would say the opposite is the case.

Edited by kwilco

Here is Ung Ing advocating reform Section 112 of the Criminal Code, the Lese Majeste law  last year before the election when MFP appeared to be doing well in the polls with a 112 reform stance. Her ideas are not much different from MFP’s (restrict who can file charges) although she didn’t go into as much detail or put it in writing in the manifesto.  

Anutin and Pirapan refused  vs to vote for Chaikasem on the grounds he had also once proposed reform of 112 when he was PT strategist. This does seem inconsistent of them but perhaps they have not seen this clip yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Here is Ung Ing advocating reform Section 112 of the Criminal Code, the Lese Majeste law  last year before the election when MFP appeared to be doing well in the polls with a 112 reform stance. Her ideas are not much different from MFP’s (restrict who can file charges) although she didn’t go into as much detail or put it in writing in the manifesto.  

Anutin and Pirapan refused  vs to vote for Chaikasem on the grounds he had also once proposed reform of 112 when he was PT strategist. This does seem inconsistent of them but perhaps they have not seen this clip yet.

Bit tooooooo late she has been voted in

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Bit tooooooo late she has been voted in

I think it was political pantomime, as everyone in politics knows about her support for 112 reform (and Srettha’s) towards the end of the election campaign when they felt MFP nipping at their heels. Barring Chaikasem was a way to make it clear that Ung Ing is Thaksin’s last bullet and next time it is Anutin’s turn.

Anutin has taken control of the senate and has a lot of leverage over Thaksin at the moment. He will drive a hard bargain over portfolios and will probably keep the Interior and take back Health to put an end to Thaksin’s cannabis nonsense. He will have a lot of power and money without the hassle of being a minority party PM. If he had refused to vote for both Chaikasem and Ung Ing, Thaksin might have pressed the suicide switch and got Phumtham, the caretaker PM, to call for general election.  Anyway Ung Ing was the PM the coalition leaders reportedly wanted at the outset, believing she would be weaker and more malleable than Srettha.

Having said all that, there is nothing to stop other ultra royalists from recirculating Ung Ing’’s clip and pressuring her to resign. Probably Anutin’s next phase will be to shine as a deputy PM to a weak PM, showing his abilities to get goodies for his MPs and prepare to poach Thaksin MPs for the next election.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

She is Now PM...........(BP post) since 12.34pm today. 

The digital wallet may have to be collateral damage because Thaksin can’t take the risk that Ung Ing will get banned due to legal issues to do with the wallet. He was prepared to throw Srettha and Chaikasem under the bus and would probably throw Ung Ing under it too, like he did Yingluck, if that wouldn’t leave him with no PM candidate.

Edited by Dogmatix

4 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I think it was political pantomime, as everyone in politics knows about her support for 112 reform (and Srettha’s) towards the end of the election campaign when they felt MFP nipping at their heels. Barring Chaikasem was a way to make it clear that Ung Ing is Thaksin’s last bullet and next time it is Anutin’s turn.

Anutin has taken control of the senate and has a lot of leverage over Thaksin at the moment. He will drive a hard bargain over portfolios and will probably keep the Interior and take back Health to put an end to Thaksin’s cannabis nonsense. He will have a lot of power and money without the hassle of being a minority party PM. If he had refused to vote for both Chaikasem and Ung Ing, Thaksin might have pressed the suicide switch and got Phumtham, the caretaker PM, to call for general election.  Anyway Ung Ing was the PM the coalition leaders reportedly wanted at the outset, believing she would be weaker and more malleable than Srettha.

Having said all that, there is nothing to stop other royalties from recirculating Unh Ing’’s clip and pressuring her to resign.

Fortunately Anutin does not have the numbers as for the senate he may have a better influence but control he does not it is very to early to say what is going to happen  i am looking forward to when she speaks outlining her policy's  then and only then can we see what is happing as for this its pure speculation

45 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

She is Now PM...........(BP post) since 12.34pm today. 

So let’s see her cabinet lineup and what’s in her policy statement. 

if the wallet is binned, there will be a big backlash from people who registered for it and are now concerned about ID theft. Not to mention the poor sods without smart phones who had to borrow from loan sharks to get a smart phone against their handout money to register. Maybe Ung Ing will offer free nights in their Rosewood Hotel or free nose jobs in their Rama 9 hospital in compensation.

Edited by Dogmatix

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul also expressed his full support for Paetongtarn. "All the parties in the coalition government show their spirit in working together to ensure continuity in running the country," said Anutin, whose Bhumjaithai Party is the second biggest partner in the coalition. His endorsement is crucial.

What's in it for him ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

So let’s see her cabinet lineup and what’s in her policy statement. 

if the wallet is binned, there will be a big backlash from people who registered for it and are now concerned about ID theft. Not to mentioned the poor sods without smart phones who had to borrow from loan sharks to get a smart phone against their handout money. Maybe Ung Ing will offer free nights in their Rosewood Hotel or free nose jogs in their Rama 9 hospital in compensation.

So let’s see her dad's cabinet lineup and what’s in his policy statement.