Religion in Thailand

Why are Thais so obsessed with religion? Anywhere you go you see pictures of monks (dead or alive) . Most Thais have very little money but spend it on goods for monks. I had my house and car blessed by monks Did it help me ? No. Most temples have money trees and everybody donates freely. And some monks walk around with their latest phones drink alcohol or take drugs and Thais just seem to ignore it. Well, don't compare them to catholic priests they are allowed to drink. ( I am an atheist} In India they don't eat beef because of their religion Thai monks are not supposed to acquire earthly goods (money, phones, alcohol and so on) So my question is ,,,,,, why do Thais spend most of their money on religion? Start bashing me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Agree 1

Because they think it will make them rich and lucky . But mostly rich !! 

Probably about 0.00001 % of those praying etc will actually get lucky or rich in some form and the rest will still be unlucky and broke . But they will use the 0.00001% as their hope it happens to them. 🙏🙄

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Theravada Buddhism is very hard to understand. I've studied it a little bit, and it's really difficult to break down, they've absorbed elements of Hinduism, Animism, Tribalism and added to it some Chinese superstition so it's nearly comprehensible. Even to someone who's really sincere about trying to learn what it's all about. Frankly I'm not even sure if the senior monks understand it. 

The version practiced here is not really Theravada Buddhism despite what they claim. Its a combination of a bunch of disassociated beliefs as you mentioned but hard to really even claim the most monks and temples are following anything resembling true Buddhism of any type. Sure I'm bet there are some but the more I see them and how they truly interact with life its the minority.

Classic example is a relative thats a monk with prostate cancer cant get the head monk to sign off on documentation to allow him to stay in the hospital long term for treatment because he doesn't like him. No one can seem to answer the question on why a document from the temple headmaster is even needed either. The temple also refuses to help with minor cost of specialty medicine and after over a month of going in circles with them, not one monk from the temple has come to see him, unless money is paid. Yet the family defends them as the monk is on his own spirtual path that his fate chose for him???

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

Why are Thais so obsessed with religion? Anywhere you go you see pictures of monks (dead or alive) and of course, the one we are not allowed to mention. Most Thais have very little money but spend it on goods for monks. I had my house and car blessed by monks Did it help me ? No. Most temples have money trees and everybody donates freely. And monks walk around with their latest phones drink alcohol or take drugs and Thais just seem to ignore it. Well, don't compare them to catholic priests they are allowed to drink. ( I am an atheist} In India they don't eat beef because of their religion Thai monks are not supposed to acquire earthly goods (money, phones, alcohol and so on) So my question is ,,,,,, why do Thais spend most of their money on religion? Start bashing me.

Problem being that each wat is a kingdom itself in the minds of the religious here.  Unfortunately, monks are humans too and are not regulated closely by the nation in my opinion based on all the stories I have read over the years about them . But this is Thailand, it prides itself on the religion, the royal family, etc and that is their right, this is their country.  We as westerners can never climb into the minds of the local people just as they can't figure us out.  Religions seem to me for the most part (western) seems to be fading away.  The fastest growing in the world today seems to be ISLAM and not just radicals.  Meanwhile the western Christians seem to be shrinking and changing some things - just look at the history of the religions of he world.  Who knows which one is "correct", is there a correct or valid religion today that fits all the different

people?  I sure have not a clue whatsoever!  I allow my wife and daughter to believe in whatever suits them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, still kicking said:

Why are Thais so obsessed with religion? Anywhere you go you see pictures of monks (dead or alive) and of course, the one we are not allowed to mention. Most Thais have very little money but spend it on goods for monks. I had my house and car blessed by monks Did it help me ? No. Most temples have money trees and everybody donates freely. And monks walk around with their latest phones drink alcohol or take drugs and Thais just seem to ignore it. Well, don't compare them to catholic priests they are allowed to drink. ( I am an atheist} In India they don't eat beef because of their religion Thai monks are not supposed to acquire earthly goods (money, phones, alcohol and so on) So my question is ,,,,,, why do Thais spend most of their money on religion? Start bashing me.

What religion ? 

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I have never really believed Buddhism is a religion, in that it doesn't have a god and there is no afterlife (rebirth isn't strictly speaking heaven or hell). People aspire to nothingness.

It's more of a philosophy. 

Just my opinion.

Correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Buddhism is NOT a religion it is philosophy.

So most Thais are not really religious at all.

Apart from the Muslims, and even worse, the Christians.

i have seen a few weird young westerners, mostly Americans, going around trying to convert the locals to Jesus. 

I saw them in Soi 6 years ago and have heard they also descend on universities trying to convert. The Thais mostly don’t like them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think for many Thais this is about the community, being part of a group. And showing others that they do good things.

Does everybody follow "the rules"? No. But at least many try most of the time.

Would Thailand be better off without above? I don't think so.

It is a place to hold the funeral ceremonies and have parties.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Buddhism is NOT a religion it is philosophy.

I have been told by a couple of Senior Monks that it is registered as religion only for tax purposes

• Like 1

The main problem with Thai people and Buddhism is that it is treated as a religion and its rituals, rather than the much more important aspects as it relates to the basic precepts being followed, such as non-materialism!

• Agree 2

The main problems is buddhism and their branches is outdated. Back in the time, their lectures and symbolic rituals might had some purpose, but at some point became money and power driven, and used as political tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Why are Thais so obsessed with religion? Anywhere you go you see pictures of monks (dead or alive) . Most Thais have very little money but spend it on goods for monks. I had my house and car blessed by monks Did it help me ? No. Most temples have money trees and everybody donates freely. And some monks walk around with their latest phones drink alcohol or take drugs and Thais just seem to ignore it. Well, don't compare them to catholic priests they are allowed to drink. ( I am an atheist} In India they don't eat beef because of their religion Thai monks are not supposed to acquire earthly goods (money, phones, alcohol and so on) So my question is ,,,,,, why do Thais spend most of their money on religion? Start bashing me.

I think you will find that Thais do NOT spend MOST of their money on religion!

• Agree 1

While I would agree that Buddhism is a philosphy, Thai people also page homage to various gods. I doubt there is any expat here who hasn't been taken by Thai friends or family to a temple or shrine where instead of Buhda other statue images are laced with various 'gifts' or offerings. The Erawan Shrine in BKK is a good example where there is an image of Maha Brahma. Then there are the various 'gods' of the land, more often called spirits, which again I'm sure expats know about. Then there are the very ornate dancing spectacles that dipict the various gods and demons, such as the Khon, โขน.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As mentioned by someone above it is already indoctrinated early on in the Thai, adding that one believes in multiple lives and if one does good in the present, then can come back as a better being in the future.
Had a discussion with my partner about this once that she brings food to the monk several times in the week early in the morning, then she feels better and does it for the future as well.
To my comment that she therefore does it to get better in an afterlife, was denied.
But yes, it does show how you can influence people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronster said:

Because they think it will make them rich and lucky . But mostly rich !! 

Probably about 0.00001 % of those praying etc will actually get lucky or rich in some form and the rest will still be unlucky and broke . But they will use the 0.00001% as their hope it happens to them. 🙏🙄

Same mindset as doing the lottery.

• Like 1