Immigration Raids Large Indian Restaurant, Arrest Several Workers Without Work Permits

webfact

They left this part out of the OP:

It did not appear, however, that deportation would take place with officials choosing to fine the offenders on their first offense instead. The names of the offenders were not released to the press by Chonburi Immigration.

Authorities imposed 10,000-baht fines on 9 employees for working without work permits under Section 37(1) of the Immigration Act. Additionally, authorities also issued a fine of 1,600 baht per person on the rest of the workers for failing to report their current residential addresses properly.

And no mention of checking their passports to see if any of them were on overstay.

And if they didn't report their address properly then they probably didn't do their 90 day reports either (unless all of them just happened to have arrived less than 3 months ago of course).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

And if they didn't report their address properly then they probably didn't do their 90 day reports either (unless all of them just happened to have arrived less than 3 months ago of course).

Interesting thought.

I know that the rules are totally different for workers from Burma, Cambodia, Laos etc but I have no idea what they are.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

11 Myanmar servers

Edited by Tropicalevo

Oh please...we all know when such "raids" are carried against foreign establishments, it's plainly that somebody in a brown uniform was not happy with the size of his brown enveloppe.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It´s a very big factor not mentioned in the OP. They arrested the illegal workers. How about the owners and the ones who employed them? There are high fines and punishments for such actions. Why are they always left out of the picture?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Interesting thought.

I know that the rules are totally different for workers from Burma, Cambodia, Laos etc but I have no idea what they are.

I think it is 2 ASEAN for every 4 Thai employees officially, but seems 100% ASEAN in practice.

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

And no mention of checking their passports to see if any of them were on overstay.

No mention needed to be made as, obviously, their passports would have been checked otherwise the police wouldn't know who they were investigating regarding  work permits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s a very big factor not mentioned in the OP. They arrested the illegal workers. How about the owners and the ones who employed them? There are high fines and punishments for such actions. Why are they always left out of the picture?

Read the full story which partly covered that.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes the company owner has bigger fines then the worker under the law.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

They knew that they were doing the wrong thing.

Back to Dehli fella's. 

The 'illegals'  were not all Indian. It does help to read properly.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The inspection revealed that the restaurant, a three-story commercial building, allegedly employed 10 Indian cooks and 11 Myanmar servers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Indian is my favourite cuisine which I eat about once a week yet it's about 100% more expensive than where I used to live (Burnley); now I know why.

I buy mine from Expat foods and cook it at home. just saying.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

They served tikka-massala to policemen and some tandoori chicken. 'nuff?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The employees were visibly shaken by the officials’ presence, as some of them even trembled

Quick, make me a milk shake, why waste a good tremble

20 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I buy mine from Expat foods and cook it at home. just saying.

As do I but I can never replicate the true UK Indian taste.  I have bought all the separate spices; ghee; Sharwood/Patak mixes yet still fail.  My hack is, I do a big vat (in the Slow cooker) of home-made curry & parcel it up in the freezer.  The day I plan to eat it, I phone my Indian take-away & order 2 Naan + 1 chicken curry.  I mix mine with his.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

As do I but I can never replicate the true UK Indian taste.  I have bought all the separate spices; ghee; Sharwood/Patak mixes yet still fail.  My hack is, I do a big vat (in the Slow cooker) of home-made curry & parcel it up in the freezer.  The day I plan to eat it, I phone my Indian take-away & order 2 Naan + 1 chicken curry.  I mix mine with his.

I was referring to the frozen ones, but not UK taste a lot hotter, Edit: I have to have plain yogurt to cool it down. I'm not a big eater and I can get 2 meals out of one.  the smaller tubs are not so spicy in my opinion and smaller. Mughal-Chicken-Madras-300x300.jpg.43cd675e229852b20339393774bed423.jpgChicken-Masala-300g-Round-Tub-300x300.jpg.e86bc8ff92cf8c58ea238976c0991163.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

Every single Indian restaurant in Thailand employs 'illegals' from India who are in country as a tourist.

Same for all other 'ethnic' based restaurants, except those from the west (they want too much money to work).

Same for all building and construction sites.

Obviously someone reported them to the local Police for stealing jobs from Thais (who dont want them). 

On 8/28/2024 at 8:51 AM, Sigmund said:

Oh please...we all know when such "raids" are carried against foreign establishments, it's plainly that somebody in a brown uniform was not happy with the size of his brown enveloppe.

these constant 'brown envelope' remarks do get boring,