Pit bull attack in Bangkok market sparks safety concerns

webfact

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...will make it illegal to ... bring them into Thailand".

It already is illegal to import them.

Then that is sad, so like everything there isn't any enforcement and someone is turning a blind eye to them. If they are already illegal they are here when something like this happens the talk isn't to fine or jail the owner who to find out how they obtained the animal and track it back to the problem the solution is what we been reading is as if slap of the wrist is going to do it! 

I've read stories like this one he had a fence, went to work, I didn't think or never seen him aggressive if illegal why give them back to these criminals who have illegal dogs!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, a pit bull was found abandoned in the heart of Hat Yai, dehydrated, weak, and unable to move. Rescuers discovered it infested with ticks and emaciated. Fortunately, a kind-hearted individual has already come forward to offer the dog a new home.

Another attack story coming soon. 

19 minutes ago, OneManShow said:

Every couple of weeks,....  

But people get bitten by dogs here daily... but Pit Bulls do attract the attention and thus attract more media comments etc its about views and a Golden Retriever biting an adult on the leg doesn't attract a great deal of media attention... 

... that said, a Golden Retriever mauling its owner would, but... that doesn't happen, its the Pitties, bull terriers and cross breeds that do this and hence the media 'contagion effect' - where once a story becomes common enough similar stories draw more attention... 

And yes, I agree...   within weeks will be another story of a 'dangerous' breed of dog of the Bull Terrier family will have chewed someone to death....  

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...will make it illegal to ... bring them into Thailand".

It already is illegal to import them.

Then that is sad, so like everything there isn't any enforcement and someone is turning a blind eye to them. If they are already illegal they are here when something like this happens the talk isn't to fine or jail the owner who to find out how they obtained the animal and track it back to the problem

Pit bulls are not illegal in Thailand, importing them is banned, owning them or breeding them isn't.

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

We have two in the village next to us.........same owner, same house.....no collars, house has no aircon, both free to roam.......they will kill someone one day.........but better to allow a child to be mauled to death than someone does or says anything.

You must be my neighbor,  we have two American pitbulls roaming the streets , both have the usual chunky  chain around their necks.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

Get a stick and whack the dog to send it on it's way.

Good luck with whacking a pit bull, you'll only get the dog more angry, it's a crazy breed and should be banned.

14 hours ago, Mannekenpis said:

While that works with a lot of other dogs, whacking a Pitbull with a stick will probably make him even more aggressive 

I wouldn't whack one on the head; I'd try to shove the stick down it's throat or poke it in it's eye. That might have the desired effect.

Is it legal to carry a machete in Thailand? That'd work too.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pit bulls are not illegal in Thailand, importing them is banned, owning them or breeding them isn't.

That doesnt make sense one bit!

But not surprising this is Thailand afterall !

Pitbull bites someone and its newsworthy, people are getting bitten by soi dogs every hour of every day, people chased down and forced to fall off motorcycles, dogs running into traffic and getting hit by cars causing damage. 

10 hours ago, Brave-Fart said:

You must be my neighbor,  we have two American pitbulls roaming the streets , both have the usual chunky  chain around their necks.

Hahaha....now you mention it I think I may have seen with a chunky chains on occasions...

On 8/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, Will B Good said:

Wow!.....I don't want anymore mental dogs upcountry.....there is no shortage of them as it is.

Point taken, sorry for that. Suggest upcountry though as they turn literally anything moving into meat balls and other delicacies - apparently. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

Point taken, sorry for that. Suggest upcountry though as they turn literally anything moving into meat balls and other delicacies - apparently. 

Hahaha...no sweat....

On 8/29/2024 at 5:57 AM, Will B Good said:

We have two in the village next to us.........same owner, same house.....no collars, house has no aircon, both free to roam.......they will kill someone one day.........but better to allow a child to be mauled to death than someone does or says anything.

Thais never complain but If it was a foreigner who owned the dogs they would. funny how they don't like confrontation but don't mind it if it's with a falang.  Although surely someone could report it anonymously 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

Thais never complain but If it was a foreigner who owned the dogs they would. funny how they don't like confrontation but don't mind it if it's with a falang.  Although surely someone could report it anonymously 

The only 'authority' who might at least listen is the village head......and to be honest nothing good would ever come of making a complaint.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The only 'authority' who might at least listen is the village head......and to be honest nothing good would ever come of making a complaint.

So, you mentioned that no-one does or says anything but then you're saying there's no point. Make ya mind up.  How would you know no good would come of it?  If no-one ever does make a complaint.  

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

So, you mentioned that no-one does or says anything but then you're saying there's no point. Make ya mind up.  How would you know no good would come of it?  If no-one ever does make a complaint.  

So, you mentioned that no-one does or says anything but then you're saying there's no point....is English your first language?.......do you not see the connection between people knowing there is no point in complaining and consequently not bothering to complain?

How do I know?.....because I've lived here on and off for over 30 years?????

On 8/29/2024 at 12:49 AM, MalcolmB said:

No such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad owners.

That depends on your definition of "bad dog breed."    Pit bull is an umbrella term for dogs originally bred for fighting.  Old English bulldogs, which had been bred for bull- and bear-baiting,  were crossed with terriers to create an agile fighting dog.  Natural aggression and a vicious attack were prime characteristics of the bred.

In today's world, there's no legitimate purpose for  fighting dogs.  Hence  pit bulls could be considered a bad bred.  They are kept as househod pets, but aren't suited for that role.

On 8/29/2024 at 11:49 AM, MalcolmB said:

No such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad owners.

<deleted>.This breed are killers especially the

bully pit bull.I remember reading about 5or 6 years ago about an owner of one of these dogs sleeping with it every night (this was in Chonburi) then one night it ripped his throat out.Bullet in the head for each and every one of them.

On 8/29/2024 at 11:30 AM, steven100 said:

Get a stick and whack the dog to send it on it's way.  When the owner returns from work corner him and tell him his dog is biting people and needs to be either put down or locked at home. 

Then see what he says and does .....   

Not pit bulls. It can make them angrier.

Pit bull fanciers are a cult in the US

When I was a kid you hardly saw one outside a junkyard

I saw one Im sure before I was 20

Chained in a neighbors backyard, I was told by the father to NEVER go back there

Now take a walk half the dogs are pitbulls. The shelters are full of them not surprisingly alot of well meaning upper middle class people and women keep them although they kill people all the time often their own owners or children

A cult. And like MAGA, no way to penetrate the ignorance of these people.

On 8/30/2024 at 9:13 AM, Will B Good said:

So, you mentioned that no-one does or says anything but then you're saying there's no point....is English your first language?.......do you not see the connection between people knowing there is no point in complaining and consequently not bothering to complain?

How do I know?.....because I've lived here on and off for over 30 years?????

Not the old "i know more than you cuz I've lived here for 30 years" chestnut🥱 Funny really how some of the people who have lived here 30 years actually know less than people who have just been here for 2 weeks.  

• Agree 1

On 8/29/2024 at 8:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 8/29/2024 at 8:11 PM, OneManShow said:

Every couple of weeks,....  

It seems every couple of weeks was a gross underestimation... 

Every 4 days....   This time an 18 year male attacked and killed by the family 'pittie'...