A tale of two cities...

I'm now living in chiang mai. However my plan is to stay in Pattaya or Krabi from February through March /April... Because of the smokey season in Chiang Mai. My non o based on retirement is due March 2. I plan on renewing when I'm at the beach. When I return to Chiang Mai and do my first 90 days will this  raise any eyebrows?

12 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

My non o based on retirement is due March 2. I plan on renewing when I'm at the beach. When I return to Chiang Mai and do my first 90 days will this  raise any eyebrows?

What does "non O based on retirement is due March" 

Guessing that you have an permit (extension) that expires March 2? 

You obtain your extension at immigration office where you live.

You could do a TM30 (change of address) in order to apply for extension at Pattaya or Krabi. 

Will you have a lease for your 3 month address? 

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Will you have a lease for your 3 month address?

Probably not... I would want to stay in hotels and move around a bit. The hotel would file the tm30 (s) There should be no law against this. 

3 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

There should be no law against this. 

Then just go to the immigration office where you go for holiday and let em know about immigration rules.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

What? I said.. It should be OK.... I WAS NOT being arrogant. If I'm wrong... Let me know. The snotty reply doesn't really help me. 

So...I'm not free to travel in Thailand? I can't live in 2 different immigration areas? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

What? I said.. It should be OK.... I WAS NOT being arrogant. If I'm wrong... Let me know. The snotty reply doesn't really help me. 

So...I'm not free to travel in Thailand? I can't live in 2 different immigration areas? 

I may be wrong, but I think you can apply for your extension of stay up to a month early. If that is correct you can apply at CM in early February then travel to Pattaya as planned.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

Probably not... I would want to stay in hotels and move around a bit. The hotel would file the tm30 (s) There should be no law against this. 

Can you renew a 12 month extension at Jomtien with just a short term hotel booking? I thought you needed a permanent address like owning a condo or having a long-term lease?

• Agree 1

I don't think so. My initial non-o was actually made in the #1 office in Bangkok... my address was a hotel. Hence my surprise that I can't renew in a second immigration area using a hotel address. But... If I had all the answers I wouldn't be here 🤔✌️

58 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I may be wrong, but I think you can apply for your extension of stay up to a month early. If that is correct you can apply at CM in early February then travel to Pattaya as planned.

You can do it 45 days early at CM.

Also if you can show travel plans they can do it earlier (up to them)

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

I didn't use the word arrogant.

The fact is that the individual immigration office will outline what is required.

TM30 now used as change of address and I suggested that.

Also that an immigration office MAY require something more such as a lease....as mentioned by @Pattaya57 earlier.

Note for others....if it's your first extension and you obtained the non O in Thailand you would need to apply for first extension there (unless another office ignored that) 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can do it 45 days early at CM

Even better. He can apply in January.

2 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

There is no "law" - but some IOs want to see a 1-year lease.

2 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

They consider "retired" to mean glued to one spot, basically.  Though, if you use their "agents," they will not create these obstructions.

Best option is to file early - before you leave - as others have suggested.  If that is not possible, I would go back "home" to file the annual extension.

In either case, when you get back to CM, be sure to re-report your TM-30, since some hotel(s) elsewhere may have "updated it" to a different address.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

I'm now living in chiang mai. However my plan is to stay in Pattaya or Krabi from February through March /April... Because of the smokey season in Chiang Mai. My non o based on retirement is due March 2. I plan on renewing when I'm at the beach. When I return to Chiang Mai and do my first 90 days will this  raise any eyebrows?

As already stated, you can apply for your extension (a permit, not a visa) at CM anytime from Jan 18th before travelling to Pattaya/Krabi.

Assuming CM issue a 90-day report from the date of renewing the extension, you can still submit it online or via mail.

According to the new TM30 regulations, it is not necessary to refile a new TM30 when returning from a break to your permanent registered address.*

*Not all IO's comply with the new rule.

• Thumbs Up 1