British man, accused of drug dealing, arrested in Phuket

webfact

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:
4 hours ago, Ironmike said:

but I would love to hear about red bull boy being sent back here. 

Why do you care about the Red Bull Boss?

it was a cop that died, Boss paid the family off, they accepted it as is normal and acceptable here. 
And it was an accident, he did not intend to kill the cop who was out of his car on the motorway at night.

Quite right.

...apart from the "motorway" and "out of his car" parts, he was on Sukhumvit Road, Thong Lor, on a motorbike.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Ben, who had fled England after being sentenced to life imprisonment for drug trafficking offences.

That I find extremely hard to believe - you do not get more than 3-5 years for stabbing someone

What you believe is irrelevant to facts, supplying Class A carries a max of life...and he didn't stab anyone.

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The fact that you haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it isn't the case for supplying!

"Intent to supply and dealing.

The amount of drugs found on you and whether you have a criminal record, will be taken into account when a punishment is being decided. The maximum sentences for intent to supply drugs are: up to life in prison, an unlimited fine or both for a Class A drug.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Despite the OP, he was not convicted and sentenced, he was wanted as a suspect.

How can a suspect be extradited?

16 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Let this guy enjoy some ThaI prison time first. The he will be so happy to go back to a UK prison.

For what? Skipping out on a hospital bill?Sounds like that has been dealt with. Something’s not adding up here. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe he should have been let in the country in the first place based on his arrest record. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

This is a very strange story!!

How did he leave the U.K. in the first instance?

How has he been allowed to compete in boxing matches? How was he under the radar, hundreds must have seen him boxing and he lived in a luxury villa?

I am waiting for part 2 of the story!

"How did he leave the U.K. in the first instance?"

He hasn't been convicted of anything yet, he is wanted as a suspect...don't believe everything you read in AN OPs.

"How has he been allowed to compete in boxing matches?"

Why shouldn't he be allowed to compete?

5 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I Do not think I will ever understand why people who know they can be found and extradited back to their country to face severe criminal charges do not flee to countries that do not follow extradition laws. 

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding when you can go to a country that does not care about what you did in your country. Stupidity befalls stupidity so let him rot in prison now. 

You mentioned stupidity. Not all of them are bright enough to think that far. They wouldn’t be doing it if they weren’t stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's the relevance of penalties in Thailand to this case?

Just that he's a known drugs fiend living in Thailand. Leopards/spots? It's probably beneficial for him that he's being sent back to the UK?

Edited by Andrew65
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I haven't heard of non-stop flights Phuket-UK?

"Mr. Ben, a 28-year-old British national, a drug trafficking suspect in the UK who was arrested in Phuket Province, has been transferred to Suvarnabhumi Airport for interrogation and preparation for extradition back to the UK on September 2, 2024". https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourts

3 hours ago, Straight8 said:
6 hours ago, luckymitchell said:

I've not heard of a life sentence for selling drugs before either. Some misreporting there I would imagine

Spoton, UK laws are just as soft as p!ss weak Aussie law.

What's so "spot on" about his not knowing penalties for Class A supplying?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

hat "difference" is not so huge, both avoided prison by fleeing abroad, one from London to Bangkok, the other from Bangkok to London...

A big difference is that supplying Class A drugs in the UK carries a potential life sentence, conviction for reckless driving causing death in Thailand is a traffic offence and doesn't.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Back in the day Captains would deny boarding to the flip-flop and backpack crowd I mean who gets on a plane looking like that?

The embassy couldn't find him a pair of trousers a collared shirt and some socks from a thrift shop?

What makes you think he'll be boarded like that?  Regardless, many people take flights in shorts and flip flops.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, luckymitchell said:

I am fully aware how the uk court and prison system work.

A life sentence is unheard of for drug supply.

Then you know that "life" does not necessarily mean, literally, the rest of their life in prison.  A 43-year old did get 26 years in June for drugs offences, which, for him, could turn out to be, effectively, life.  Twenty years, plus, is not unusual. 

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think he'll be boarded like that?  Regardless, many people take flights in shorts and flip flops.  

Yeah, he will change in the  Club lounge. 

True, dress standards have changed. When I started in the early 1990s jacket,  tie, proper shoes were required airline staff travel dress code. Then to be sat up next to a passenger in business wearing dirty gym cloths. Now I can have tats, piercings  and paint my nails. 

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding

Thailand's become the go-to country for the Brit criminal class, well-known in the council estates. Cheap beer & pussy, nice weather, known for lax law enforcement. Good last holiday fling if nothing else.

Forum Brits have duly stepped up to defend one of the "lads" with whataboutism and questioning the severity of his sentence back in the Islamic Republic of the UK.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

How can a suspect be extradited?

Most subjects of extradition requests are people who have been indicted but not yet tried...the goal is to bring them back to stand trial.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Then you know that "life" does not necessarily mean, literally, the rest of their life in prison.  A 43-year old did get 26 years in June for drugs offences, which, for him, could turn out to be, effectively, life.  Twenty years, plus, is not unusual. 

and this guy was not given a life sentence, the OP is incorrect which was already established 2 pages ago. 

3 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The devil s in the details. A life sentence is not what you would believe it to be 🫢  If the statement had been a minimum of 10 years, would you believe it, because that's what it the time to be served probably was.

In the UK, there is whole life, life, and indeterminate, subject to periods of incarceration called tariffs penal sentences.

- A whole life order means you will never be released from prison, except in exceptional compassionate circumstances.

- An indeterminate prison sentence does not have a fixed length of time. The sentencing judge will set a minimum period of time to be served  (called a ‘tariff’) before the prisoner is considered for release by the Parole Board.  Indeterminate sentences are given for serious offenders (usually violent repeat offenders) who are a danger to the public. 

- A life sentence typically comes with a minimum incarceration period, e.g. 10 years. The parole board will then consider releasing the prisoner on "license".

In the UK  Class A drug  production and selling offences come with a "life" penalty.

It can be as little as 8 years in the UK with good behaviour.

• Thumbs Up 1