Fatal Multi-Vehicle Collision in Ratchaburi: Two Dead, Three Seriously Injured

IMG_5118.png

Picture from responders.

A four vehicle collision on the Pikun Thong-Ban Rai Road in Ratchaburi on September 3, resulted in the tragic deaths of two individuals and left three others critically injured.

The accident occurred when a black Toyota Revo pickup truck collided with several vehicles, causing a chain reaction that involved a Honda sedan, a Toyota Sport Rider, and a blue Hino truck. CCTV footage captured the moment the black pickup, traveling at high speed, rear-ended the Toyota Sport Rider, causing it to veer into oncoming traffic and crash head-on with the other vehicles.

Police Colonel Songwut Charoenwichayadej, the head of the Mueang Ratchaburi Police Station, along with rescue teams and medical personnel, quickly responded to the scene. Upon arrival, they found a Honda sedan severely damaged with two deceased individuals inside, identified as Mr. Chamnong, an assembler, and Mr. Manoon, 67, a Ratchaburi resident. Nearby, the black Toyota Revo pickup was overturned, with three injured passengers trapped inside.

The injured were identified as Mr. Kla, 40, the driver of the black pickup, and two women, Mrs. Jaew, 73, and Ms. Kanjana, 39, both in critical condition. They were swiftly transported to Ratchaburi Hospital for emergency treatment.

In the aftermath of the collision, debris from the vehicles littered the road, causing significant traffic disruptions as authorities worked to clear the scene and investigate the cause of the accident. The driver of the six-wheel Hino truck, who witnessed the accident, reported that the black pickup had been speeding and collided with the Toyota Sport Rider before losing control and striking other vehicles.

Initial investigations by the police, including a review of CCTV footage from the Pikun Thong Subdistrict Administrative Organisation, confirmed that the black pickup was at fault. The driver, who is currently receiving medical treatment, is expected to be detained for further questioning and potential legal action once they recover.

Authorities continue to investigate the incident to determine the full circumstances leading to this event.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-04

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, DavoTheGun said:

The people in the Honda were obviously not wearing Belts, or they would have survived that.

Not sure on that. If they weren't wearing seatbelts then I would of expected them to be flying out the window.

3 hours ago, alesaldana said:

I don’t think the driver was speeding, it looks more like he was on the phone, eating, singing, but definitely not paying attention to the road and traffic in front of him…

Possible that the  sport rider was slowing to make the right turn as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Possible that the  sport rider was slowing to make the right turn as well.

I have reviewed the video a couple of times more, and there is no turning light (indicator) on, however, you could also be right…

6 hours ago, alesaldana said:

I don’t think the driver was speeding, it looks more like he was on the phone, eating, singing, but definitely not paying attention to the road and traffic in front of him…

Agreed... Or he fell asleep...  

Hopefully the 'driver aids' on newer cars will see such accidents reduced (our car alerts the driver if approaching another car too quickly and if we don't react and are going to hit it, the brakes will be applied)....    This is an example of where such tech saves lives. 

In this case - defensive driving is also absent - both sets are cars in the right most lane... Perhaps because they wish to avoid the motorcycles who pull out from the left without looking etc.

One other point - Were the people in all cars wearing seatbelts - it is so common that seatbelts are not worn here, so my 'guess' is not and that seatbelts would have been a life-saver in this incident (can't be sure of that of course, nevertheless, I'm betting no seat-belts worn).

FiL just had an accident, air-bags went off - no seatbelt, he was hurt a bit, no seatbelt made the impact worse as the air-bag threw him back. He still doesn't wear a seatbelt in his car, yet oddly enough in our car (even in the rear seats) they belt up (perhaps not so oddly, I refuse to move unless the seatbelts are on, so its now habit for the inlaws).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alesaldana said:

I have reviewed the video a couple of times more, and there is no turning light (indicator) on, however, you could also be right…

Thai's rarely use turn signals..... they all think they be drivin' BMW's !

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... Or he fell asleep...  

Hopefully the 'driver aids' on newer cars will see such accidents reduced (our car alerts the driver if approaching another car too quickly and if we don't react and are going to hit it, the brakes will be applied)....    This is an example of where such tech saves lives. 

In this case - defensive driving is also absent - both sets are cars in the right most lane... Perhaps because they wish to avoid the motorcycles who pull out from the left without looking etc.

One other point - Were the people in all cars wearing seatbelts - it is so common that seatbelts are not worn here, so my 'guess' is not and that seatbelts would have been a life-saver in this incident (can't be sure of that of course, nevertheless, I'm betting no seat-belts worn).

FiL just had an accident, air-bags went off - no seatbelt, he was hurt a bit, no seatbelt made the impact worse as the air-bag threw him back. He still doesn't wear a seatbelt in his car, yet oddly enough in our car (even in the rear seats) they belt up (perhaps not so oddly, I refuse to move unless the seatbelts are on, so its now habit for the inlaws).

Hate the reminder chimes for the belts... Disabled those <deleted> !

Edited by metisdead
8. You will not post vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You won't be saying that when your face is mashed in, in fact you won't be saying anything.

I'll take my chances.

Am nearing the age when I start planning my exit anyways.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hate the reminder chimes for the belts... Disabled those <deleted> !

You won't be saying that when your face is mashed in, in fact you won't be saying anything.

I suspect he's one of those geniuses who would say...

.... 'Managed to go my whole life without needing a seatbelt.'....

....Though that involves words with too many syllables... 'Disabled those <deleted>' is more fitting for the socio-phonetics of the cerebrally challenged."

• Agree 1